Let's see your very first Spyderco (or at least the one you've had the longest)

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
brancron

Let's see your very first Spyderco (or at least the one you've had the longest)

Post by brancron »

Here's mine:

This is a C21 Merlin that I found abandoned on the beach when I was around 9 or 10 years old in the mid to late nineties. One of the most exciting finds of my life! I had no idea what Spyderco was at the time, and it took me about a decade longer to become a real Spyderco fan, but this Merlin has been with me since the beginning and I absolutely love it.

Let's see yours! If you don't still have the first Spyderco you ever owned, then how about the one that's been in your collection longest?
vivi

Re: Let's see your very first Spyderco (or at least the one you've had the longest)

Post by vivi »

My first Spyderco was a saber ground Delica 4. I hated it. I bought it because it was the most frequently suggested Spyderco. The handle was too small and the saber grind cut poorly.

My second Spyderco was a single liner S60V Military.

Now that is the knife that sold me on the brand. Amazing size to weight ratio compared to my Buck 110. Killer ergonomics. Much better cutting ability than the Delica.

The Military was the model that made me fall in love with the brand.
:unicorn
miohin

Re: Let's see your very first Spyderco (or at least the one you've had the longest)

Post by miohin »

My first was the below trusty Tenacious.

I landed upon the Tenacious by searching for the best knife around $50 and reading around. While owning the Tenacious, I thought most of the Spydercos looked so similar I would only ever own the one. But, as they say: That was then, and this is now.
Lurker
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

first spydie was a ladybug in the early '90s, hence the name. i remember seeing it in a knife shop when i was a kid and just begging my mom for one. it was missing for years, but i ended up finding it a couple years ago in an hiking pack i hadn't used since i was a kid. it has some rust now, but it's still good to go. i retired it to the knife roll though because i have a hawkbill ladybug salt now and because i don't want to lose it again.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Fly Fishing Rick

Post by Fly Fishing Rick »

My very first photo of my first Spyderco, the Chaparral.
-Jimmy
dsvirsky

Post by dsvirsky »

My first was also a Ladybug, which is somewhere in my sock drawer (I think), but it was my second purchase, the pictured Q, that made me a Spyderco fan.
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

ImageC44 Dyad was my first and this my second one . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

My first was a Worker, long since departed. My second is the Remote Release!

Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

PM2 CTS-20CP sprint from 2011. It used to have light gray scales, but I never liked them. I blade-swapped it into an all black PM2. Still in use.

Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
remnar

Post by remnar »

My first was the C13GBW Blanchard Lone Wolf Pro-Venator. It was given to me in the mid-90s by my girlfriend at the time. I refused to carry it because it was too nice so the C13PS was acquired shortly after receiving the Blanchard. I still have the knives and my girlfriend became and still is my wife, of course. :smlling-eyes

mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

My first was a combo edge Endura from the 90s. I still carry it from time to time, although its closing bias isn't as snappy as before.

I didn't buy any more Spyderco knives until 2016, when I got a base model PM2. I guess you could consider that as the one that kickstarted my unfettered acquisition of different models, aided by a boost in disposable income that wasn't present before.
endura_ats_55_06.jpg
pm2_garden.jpg
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

`
C01 Worker, GIN-1 steel, 1994-ish. I carried this at the office and at the ranch until I replaced it at the office with a C22 Michael Walker, and at the ranch with a Military. I'm a lefty, and those three knives are why, even today, I don't care much about which side the clip is on, or whether it's tip-up or tip-down.

That Worker is as solid, smooth, and corrosion-free as it was 28 years ago. The edge could use a touch-up, though. It was probably last sharpened, incorrectly, about 25 years ago.
Tristan_david2001

Post by Tristan_david2001 »

I quite can’t remember if either the persistence or the grasshopper was the first spyderco I got from the store army barracks in New Hampshire back in maybe 2015ish..I was young, and I’ve since lost both of those folders unfortunately. I know my third was the H1 dragonfly which I thought was coolest spydie I owned up to that point.. spyderco I’ve actually been in possession of the longest is my stainless steel cricket.
:bug-red-white
Current “dream collection” of knives
temperance 1, lil temperance 1 serrated leaf, black micarta calypso jr & calypso, cocobolo kopa, stainless serrated harpy, stainless cricket
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

ladybug93 wrote:
Sat Nov 12, 2022 4:23 pm
first spydie was a ladybug in the early '90s, hence the name. i remember seeing it in a knife shop when i was a kid and just begging my mom for one. it was missing for years, but i ended up finding it a couple years ago in an hiking pack i hadn't used since i was a kid. it has some rust now, but it's still good to go. i retired it to the knife roll though because i have a hawkbill ladybug salt now and because i don't want to lose it again.
This is exactly the same knife that was my first Spyderco (purchased in 2001). I think I ended up gifting it to a friend or relative, but I do still have a few just like it, including the blue version and red version. I think the steel on those original Ladybugs was AUS-8, if I remember correctly. Nice little knife.
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

SpyderNut wrote:
Sat Nov 12, 2022 8:08 pm
I think the steel on those original Ladybugs was AUS-8, if I remember correctly. Nice little knife.
according to spydiewiki, mine would have to be gin1/g2, but you may have had aus8. they also came in aus6 and ats55 for a few years. mine doesn't specify a steel. the ladybug is a great little knife though, especially in a hawkbill. if you don't have one, i definitely recommend it.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Wandering_About

Post by Wandering_About »

This Delica, from probably around 2007-2008ish? Still have it in the collection, although it's retired from use for sentimental reasons now.

Because desolate places allow us to breathe. And most people don't even know they're out of breath.

MNOSD member #0035
Ranger_Ike

Post by Ranger_Ike »

Haven’t been in the Spyderco game as long as most of you all. My first was the forest green s45vn sprint run para 3 with diamond pattern g10. I have since swapped the blade out to SPY27. I also have sanded the corners a bit, and sanded the texture some. From the factory it was quite the pocket eater.

standy99

Post by standy99 »

Had many older and lost off the bait board of a boat.

Bought a Salt1 and a Pacific Salt for a birthday many years ago. Which bought me back to this Spyderco accumulation illness

Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
Road Tripper

Post by Road Tripper »

My first was a PM2, but I've since moved it along. I have a few Spydies now, but I think the oldest in terms of when I bought it is the Manix 2 mid-backlock; it's still a favorite.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

My first, and almost gave up on the Manix in general because I couldn't stand those frcp handles. Glad I came around to find the G10 models, and they actually turned into my favorite Spyderco model!

15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick