Chief or Shaman for self defense?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
FeistyKat

Chief or Shaman for self defense?

Post by FeistyKat »

Assume you were this guy but weren't armed:
SMLE.JPG
Would you pick the Chief over the Shaman, or vice versa?

Or perhaps a can of Friskies (pull the pin, toss the 'grenade', escape while Ms. Poosy Cat eats the treat)?
Naperville

Re: Chief or Shaman for self defense?

Post by Naperville »

I like the Shaman but I do not have one. The ability to thrust is not as good as with a Native Chief, and that is why I do not own one.

In this exercise, I would use the Native Chief.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Definitely the Chief...long and thin goes too far in. Giggity
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

I’ll take either because both would be equally disadvantaged. He had the proper form of defense in that video.
-Nick :bug-red
BLUETYPEII

Post by BLUETYPEII »

Of the two I would pick the Chief.

In all reality though a cougar is so much more powerful and fast than a person you wouldn’t have much of a fighting chance with just a knife.

It’s better than nothing though. There was a story on the forum a while back about a man defending himself successfully from a bear. He had a sub 4 inch knife.
40 Spyderco knives in 11 different steels,
1 Byrd and 30 “others”
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i'm not really a fan of either of these models, personally, so i'd just use whatever i had on me at the time. of the two you specified, i would 100% choose the chief. it's a far more pokey knife than the shaman and it's got a longer blade. but, you'd basically be getting mauled by the cat and just stabbing blindly repeatedly until one of you gave up. you might still die either way. i hope i never have to defend myself against any predator with nothing but a knife, but i also hope i'm never stuck having to with anything less.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

Chief or shaman? I pick gun.

Knife would have a wave feature on weak side.
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

I think Chief, but it's a bad deal either way to be in that situation.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Mushroom wrote:
Sun Oct 23, 2022 7:07 pm
I’ll take either because both would be equally disadvantaged. He had the proper form of defense in that video.
Yup......definitely the Smith & Wesson 😃
GT99

Post by GT99 »

Probably the chief looking at the stats, but either would work for me as I am not out in cougar territory without my dog (Argentine dogo) god forbid a cougar attacks the dogo can fight it off for a few seconds while I stab the **** out of it, but when in the bush I normally have my 7 inch Ka-bar
benben

Post by benben »

Couldn’t imagine having to try and fight him off with just a knife! Getting shredded up doesn’t sound like too much fun! If you’re in his backyard without a firearm….shame on you!

Actually it’s a good, and rare thing that cat even let that guy see him. Most reports I’ve read it’s pretty much over before the victim even knew what was on them!
James Y

Post by James Y »

https://youtu.be/9ktRhBcHza4

Jim
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

There was a story years ago about a guy saving his son from a mountain lion using his Caly 3.5.

https://blademag.com/blog/father-fends- ... ly-3-5/amp

I know there was a thread here about it but I can't find it. Sal even gifted the kid a knife. That was 10 years ago, that kid should be about 16 today.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
James Y

Post by James Y »

Many years ago, I saw a news story about a woman who stabbed a mountain lion to death with what looked like either a Buck 112 or 110 folding hunter (they actually showed the knife in the news story).

She had stabbed the mountain lion as it was in the process of attacking her young son. I don't recall if they showed any injuries she may have had.

I wonder what the outcome would have been if the mountain lion had been focused on attacking HER instead of being focused on her son. I think defending against a big cat with a knife can be done BUT, if the big cat is focused on YOU, even if you 'win,' you're gonna end up a mess, too.

Jim
shunsui

Post by shunsui »

Both the Siren and the Amalgam have decent fingerguard designs.

FeistyKat

Post by FeistyKat »

Well, I don't want to insult anyone, but anyone who mentioned a gun would be dead cave man, including me.

I was originally going to post a thread asking which knife people would pick for self defence against a thug. I'll guess that the Chief, which seems to have won here, would win that debate too. I thought the Shaman would win, honestly.

As for the Utah jogger I have 3 questions:
1. WTF wasn't he carrying his gun? They make holsters for joggers.
2. Why didn't he scoop up a few of those nice sized rocks & let fly?
3. Third, why on God's green earth was he jogging in the forest? He wouldn't have been the first jogger, or bicyclist to trigger a puma's prey response just by moving quickly past a mountain lion.
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

I saw that video before, and it didn't have any context (just had the guy trying to get away). Saw the full version later and it shows he came up on the cougar with her cubs. She wasn't going after him for food, she was just protecting her young. Still...

I love cats. Big cats. Small cats (we have 5 in our house). But in that situation a knife would be the last defense, period. Give me a gun. Thing is, big cats normally never let you see them. If you do, they either run or if they chase you they have cubs nearby. If they want to eat you they will never let you know they are there.

Glad this guy survived the encounter. Glad I don't live in cougar country. Makes me want to get a 10mm anyway...
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Best part about that video is, at least at the time...he worked at BladeHQ!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
benben

Post by benben »

FeistyKat wrote:
Wed Nov 02, 2022 11:09 pm
Well, I don't want to insult anyone, but anyone who mentioned a gun would be dead cave man, including me.

I was originally going to post a thread asking which knife people would pick for self defence against a thug. I'll guess that the Chief, which seems to have won here, would win that debate too. I thought the Shaman would win, honestly.

As for the Utah jogger I have 3 questions:
1. WTF wasn't he carrying his gun? They make holsters for joggers.
2. Why didn't he scoop up a few of those nice sized rocks & let fly?
3. Third, why on God's green earth was he jogging in the forest? He wouldn't have been the first jogger, or bicyclist to trigger a puma's prey response just by moving quickly past a mountain lion.
On your #2, I remember showing this video to my wife once it started making it's rounds on the net, I also remember telling her I'd look like a machine gun with all those nice sized rocks everywhere, although that'd probably get me shredded up! Man that cat looked pissed, scary, and evil!

Your #1 question is the most logical one, take a 10mm on your next jog sir!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Like Mike Tyson said "everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth". A couple weeks ago we were in Gatlinburg playing putt-putt golf and suddenly came face to face with a black bear, and when I say face to face I mean 10 feet. He was moving so slow and quiet and it was dark outside (the course was lit but a black bear may as well be a ninja in the dark) and I was walking to the hole to putt (which I later Eagled lol) and there he was, stepping right into my path.

Everyone thinks they have a plan. I was carrying a firearm and a knife, but in that moment my brain didn't consider either one. I also had a flashlight in my back pocket (because I had a feeling this exact type of situation was likely) and my first instinct was to pull the light out and blind him, while beating my putter against everything around me to make as much noise as I could.

He stopped, and I know he couldn't see me because the light was a Fenix PD36R on the brightest setting, so he was definitely blind. He kinda stood there for a few seconds that felt like an eternity and then slowly turned around and absolutely took his time going back into the woods.

But yeah, not one time did I think of pulling a knife or a gun, and unfortunately in that situation both my hands were full so the likely next step probably would be me getting mauled before I could draw on him, given how close he was.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David