2023 price increases?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
general bacardi

2023 price increases?

Post by general bacardi »

I'm assuming there will be a MSRP/MAP price hike in 2023 just like years past. Anyone know what the 2023 price increases are?
Mushroom

Re: 2023 price increases?

Post by Mushroom »

This is a sensitive topic, this thread could get messy. I fully expect a price increase in some form though.

In my opinion, if MSRP is increased it would be nice to see MAP decreased. Amazon clearly isn’t going away selling knives, might as well let retailers fight their own fight instead of doing it for them.
-Nick :bug-red
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Man, with inflation in every other area of the economy as bad as it has been, this could get ugly. Nathan Carothers mentioned the other day that his steel cost went up massively.

Nathan the Machinist said:
Re: inflation

...just placed the steel order today...

We're now up over 50 grand for a small run of 3V. A few years ago it was half that.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

Of course there will be. They’ve never gone down in price over the years

Should be a good time to appreciate and use what I got! :party-face
Last edited by prndltech on Wed Nov 02, 2022 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Post by apollo »

Mushroom wrote:
Wed Nov 02, 2022 8:53 am
This is a sensitive topic, this thread could get messy. I fully expect a price increase in some form though.

In my opinion, if MSRP is increased it would be nice to see MAP decreased. Amazon clearly isn’t going away selling knives, might as well let retailers fight their own fight instead of doing it for them.
If they increase there prices that is fair and its to be expected these days.
But if they do i hope they think before they do it.
Messing with the msrp alone will only punish the international market and that one has bin more then punished enough for multiple years. I hope they know this and just make the increase the smallest they can but then for everyone on every model globally that none of us gets left behind with the bill and the models keep being buyable for every fan.
rgc

Post by rgc »

For a company that seems to be so interconnected with their customers I have to believe any increase will strictly be to keep their present margins the same. It is going to get ugly economically in the next couple of years and I for one will have to be more selective with my fun purchases and prndltech stated it will be a good time to appreciate and use a lot of what I already have.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

last year was already pretty ugly. i don't remember all the percentages, but taichung saw a 15% increase. with inflation being so out of control, i imagine it could get even worse this year. too bad i'm already tapped out for my knife purchases for the year. if things get any more expensive, i'm going to have to stop collecting and just be good with what i have. there are a lot of models i still want to try, so i guess i need to start looking for a different job.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
rgc

Post by rgc »

ladybug93 wrote:
Wed Nov 02, 2022 10:27 am
last year was already pretty ugly. i don't remember all the percentages, but taichung saw a 15% increase. with inflation being so out of control, i imagine it could get even worse this year. too bad i'm already tapped out for my knife purchases for the year. if things get any more expensive, i'm going to have to stop collecting and just be good with what i have. there are a lot of models i still want to try, so i guess i need to start looking for a different job.
I don't so much collect as say "experience" until I find ones I want to keep. I've always sold some that I buy to fund new purchases. Sometimes I regret them but usually I am overjoyed with the new knife I forget what I have sold. Right now I am selling two and one is going to be replaced by the Stretch XL when it comes out . . . or so I hope.
T.J.

Post by T.J. »

I've just about reached my ceiling for what I'm willing to pay for a Spyderco knife. I feel the same way about other manufacturers as well.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

I over stretched this year on purchases and this coming year looks like it will be tighter than ever with little relief in sight. With the endless focus on expensive super steels and the general increase in all supplies for makers, prices are reaching the untenable. I may even have to avoid the forum just so I don't see something I want, but cannot afford.

2023 is going to be a tough year for knife makers around the world, except for those from one country I suppose.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Jim Malone

Post by Jim Malone »

Yes, been thinking of avoiding the forum as well. Was super stoked for the lil temp 3 in FRN because i hoped it would be affordable but with the 255€ price in Europe i sadly have to pass.
general bacardi

Post by general bacardi »

T.J. wrote:
Wed Nov 02, 2022 12:03 pm
I've just about reached my ceiling for what I'm willing to pay for a Spyderco knife. I feel the same way about other manufacturers as well.
Same here. Take for example the Sage 5. Very nice Taichung knife, but not a hot seller, It's just a basic, run-of-the-mill S30V knife with G10/carbon laminate scales, not even full carbon. Was a bit pricey in 2021 at $165 MAP. 2022 MAP jacked the price up 15% to $189, but no improvement in materials, not even to S35VN. Clearly not worth it. What's Spyderco going to do in 2023, jack the price up another 15% to $217? I can't imagine anyone wanting to pay that much for a Sage 5.

Even the prices on basic Delicas / Endelas are getting hard to swallow. Great knives, but the price keeps climbing, no upgrades, still using VG-10, so the value proposition just gets lower and lower. For what Spyderco is charging for this series, they should at least be coming with S30V by now.
Freediver

Post by Freediver »

I think it’s inevitable.
cjk

Post by cjk »

I'm not trying to be a jerk. I'm really not.

Just wondering if folks actually go find grocery forums and fuel forums and other consumer goods forums and complain about the prices of basically everything increasing in cost year over year?

Businesses typically determine their pricing based on formulas. The costs of the inputs are increasing. Price increases are unavoidable unless product quality is reduced.
phaust

Post by phaust »

cjk wrote:
Wed Nov 02, 2022 1:05 pm
I'm not trying to be a jerk. I'm really not.

Just wondering if folks actually go find grocery forums and fuel forums and other consumer goods forums and complain about the prices of basically everything increasing in cost year over year?
Can you point out any post here where someone complained? It seems like everyone is even headed and realistic in their posts(?)
Mystery Flavor

Post by Mystery Flavor »

One thing is for sure: the coming price increases (and insanely high starting prices on some new models) are not sustainable for the average buyer. A breaking point WILL occur where spyderco will start to permanently lose a large chunk of their loyal fans. You can only push people so far before they turn their backs on the company entirely.

Several years back Spyderco was a company I thought was amazing and would gladly tell others about. Now there is no point when the prices will scare away the vast majority of people who aren't already deep into knives. And even people who are really into knives will often not see the value in many of spyderco's prices. Those people already know other companies very often produce better finished knives with the same materials for less money.

It is likely we will not get a concrete yes or no answer about price increases from spyderco ahead of 2023. Even though it would greatly help the customers make purchase decisions, spyderco seems more concerned with avoiding commenting on discussions that make them look bad. They are very happy and quick to respond to threads that make them look good and pat them on the back, however.

When you have huge fans like vivi or tkok83spy making comments like these it's a bad sign for what's coming with the coming years prices.
vivi wrote:
Thu Oct 13, 2022 8:58 am
That said, I've always had a $200 and under rule when it comes to knives, and I'm wary of how fast we are approaching the point where I have to decide if I want to keep adhering to that, or keep being a Spyderco fan. Going to be awfully difficult to do both.
&
TkoK83Spy wrote:
Tue Oct 18, 2022 11:33 am
I'm extremely confused myself?? Especially those excited for buying two, you just got ripped off twice when there are currently "better" Native Chief options that have been available for quite some time, for significantly less money.
And when you have posts above mine talking about maybe the solution is to not keep visiting the forum..... that spells doom.

Spyderco could do many things to reduce costs passed to customers. An easy one is to stop all the printed catalogs that surely cost a huge amount to make and that cost gets passed on to us the customers. Seems like they should have realized this years ago and already switched to digital only catalogs.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

I'll send my price complaints to the ballot box, not Spyderco.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
rgc

Post by rgc »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Wed Nov 02, 2022 1:44 pm
Yup!
cjk

Post by cjk »

rgc wrote:
Wed Nov 02, 2022 1:50 pm
ZrowsN1s wrote:
Wed Nov 02, 2022 1:44 pm
Yup!
Concur.
James Y

Post by James Y »

I'm fairly certain that the yearly price increases aren't something that Spyderco looks forward to, either. They are well aware of how people feel about it, and that it does affect how much people are willing and able to purchase. I HIGHLY DOUBT that they raise prices anticipating purchasing a new summer home in some exotic location with money from the price increases.

I don't, and never will, run a knife company. But if I did, the necessary yearly price increases due to increasing costs of material, manufacturing, etc., would certainly be a source of worry for ME.

I still enjoy reading the forum, even though I don't know when, if ever, I will buy another knife. My enjoyment of knives and reading about them has little or nothing to do with a need for constantly acquiring new ones. I haven't bought any this year, and acquired a couple last year. Ive gone years without buying a new knife before. If I have to, I could go the rest of my life without buying another knife without any regrets. After so many years, that new knife endorphin rush had already died down for me many years ago.

Jim