Some Random Questions and Requests

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Albatross

Some Random Questions and Requests

Post by Albatross »

I apologize if any of these have been addressed already.

Questions:

The upcoming Manix 2 with 15V is exciting and I plan to get one, but I would like to know if there are any plans for other models to get the same treatment? Will there be a 15V Military (1, 2 or both?), Native, or PM2 sprint?

The micarta PM2 is well-executed and I love full liners, but wouldn't mind seeing other models get similar "upgrades". Will the Manix or other models be offered with factory micarta as a regular production option as well? If so, would it be possible to feature a different steel and micarta color?

Requests:

For sprints or exclusives, it would be great to see more smooth G10 offerings. That's one feature I've come to enjoy, because smooth G10 is very easy on the pockets.

K390 and 10V (aside from the Seki K390 offerings) have been rare, but there are a lot of requests for more, and specifically in Golden models. A sprint or exclusive series (not through BBS) would make some of us very happy.

More handle options for the Mules would make some of us happy. Maybe some micarta or a G10 that doesn't shred the leather sheath.
cjk

Re: Some Random Questions and Requests

Post by cjk »

Smooth G-10 seems to work “best” (imho) on a knife with very very very very very good ergonomics. Good ergonomics varies with the person. For me that usually means something with a choil and jimping which locks in the hand because the smooth handle materials won’t be helping out in the grip department.

For example, I have a Delica 4 wharncliffe and a FRN Chaparral both with custom smooth G-10 scales in forest green. The same maker made both sets of scales. They’re both equally smooth.

Ergonomically, the Chaparral works just the same with the smooth scales as it did before with the FRN ones.
On the other hand, I have to be MUCH more deliberate on how I grip the smooth Delica compared to a FRN one. As a tool, I think I made the Delica worse, but it is prettier and still cuts extremely well.

But yeah, smooth G-10 goes in and out of the pocket easily.
Last edited by cjk on Sat Oct 22, 2022 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
cjk

Re: Some Random Questions and Requests

Post by cjk »

Fwiw, Halpern Titanium makes mule handles in G-10 and Micarta
https://www.halperntitanium.com/spyderco-mule-team