Would you rather?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Please vote

Thin BTE
76%
Thicker BTE but better steel
24%

Total votes: 42

Ramonade

Re: Would you rather?

Post by Ramonade »

Wandering_About wrote:
Tue Oct 18, 2022 2:35 pm
Just to throw another thing to consider into the discussion... I've seen GBs with very thin BTE measurements, but mine is between about .020-.023" so not worlds apart from a PM2. All the PM2s I have measured have been right around .025".

Mine is right there too. I've even seen people saying the GB1 is thicker BTE than the GB2, but I've seen measures around 0.015" for the GB1 on the internet. I guess you can only see by yourself, who knew we couldn't trust people on the internet ? :squinting-tongue
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
attila

Post by attila »

Wandering_About wrote:
Tue Oct 18, 2022 9:20 pm
Atoma 140 for the rough work, stop when the scratch pattern just kisses the edge because this stone leaves very deep scratches. Then refine with higher grits, I usually go with 400 then 1000. Bring your diamonds or CBN, and patience. I finish on a strop with 1 micron diamond spray. But I do freehand and do quite a lot of reprofiles... I wouldn't want to go into Maxamet as my first reprofile ever!

Final results on a PM2 and Para 3.
Nice edges on your Maxamet blades!

How low do you usually take the edge angle (on this and other steels) to get such tall primary bevels? I was pondering doing this same thing to my Maxamet Sage, but don’t have experience with Maxamet at acute angles.

Thanks!
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5
Scandi Grind

Post by Scandi Grind »

Geometry is king.
"A knifeless man is a lifeless man."

-- Old Norse proverb
aaronkb

Post by aaronkb »

Voted thinness, but M4 is no slouch. I wouldn’t necessarily say Maxamet is better as a general statement, it’s superior in some ways but it really depends on your use.
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

Ramonade wrote:
Wed Oct 19, 2022 7:38 am
Mine is right there too. I've even seen people saying the GB1 is thicker BTE than the GB2, but I've seen measures around 0.015" for the GB1 on the internet. I guess you can only see by yourself, who knew we couldn't trust people on the internet ? :squinting-tongue

My 2 GB1's:

Date code DN:

Date code AO:
So it goes.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

You know me, thickness behind the edge is my mantra. I never understood why Spyderco grinds their blades so thick behind the edge especially those in tough steels. Popular models like the Delica, which also has a thin blade stock, would benefit alot from a thin bte blade. Most of my Delicas are > 25 thousands bte, which is crazy !
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

Airlsee wrote:
Fri Oct 21, 2022 1:22 am

My 2 GB1's:
That's more like what I was imagining, depends on the sample. I would love to have a thin BTE Gb1 as my new beater!
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds