Yes, another request thread. Stretch 2

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
bobnikon

Yes, another request thread. Stretch 2

Post by bobnikon »

Acknowledging that everybody and their sibling knows best or at least has an opinion about the next model that should be produced... here we go.

A *edit* nested liner stretch 2 (not xl), in just about any flavour.
Specifically I would love to see spy27 or lc200n, but again think a *edit* nested liner version should be the choice.
If lc200n, it would be essentially the back lock Caribbean / PM2 love child. Perfect in my opinion.
If spy27, just a wonderful setup taking advantage of that fun steel.

I don't think the stretch 2 gets near enough love. We don't have to up size everything.

Cheers
Erik
Last edited by bobnikon on Wed Oct 19, 2022 7:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
JSumm

Re: Yes, another request thread. Stretch 2

Post by JSumm »

I seem to recall Sal mentioning multiple times that sales for the Stretch doesn't really support additional models. I believe this is the quote towards the bottom. Whereas the sales for the XL have apparently been good. May be difficult sale to devote any more production to another Stretch.
viewtopic.php?p=1540263#p1540263

It seems like the Endela was received well. May be the more popular of the those Sekis, but just a guess. I would also guess, if they do come out with a mid-sized Salt in LC200N it would be in the Endela. However, that would most likely be linerless, so that would not fit your request.

There may be a better chance of getting SPY27 in a Stretch 2. That would be a cool model. Especially with the old drop point blade shape.

Also, when you say fully linered do you mean to the edge of the scales or fully recessed liners like the current Stretch 2?
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

I think I have to agree with Jeff . I have three different models of the Stretch and really like the design . The last G10 model sales with not the best . Just my thoughts I think the steel offering was a letdown to some since it was also used in the CF model In ZDP189. If there had been a different steel used maybe the sales picture would have been different , and that is a big maybe . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
bobnikon

Post by bobnikon »

Sorry, good point. I mean the current nested liner setup, not the new PM2 cruwear version full liners to the edge of the scale.
Editted the OP to reflect that.

I would be happy with either blade shape.

I like the endela, a lot, but prefer the stretch by a significant margin. I just got a K390 and it is awesome. I have the ivory VG10 and the green ZDP 189. Would just like another flavour. Don't need it, and probably won't get it, but something in one of the two mentioned steels would make me happy...

Cheers
Erik
S-3 ranch

Post by S-3 ranch »

Stretch 2 in spy27 , lukewarm
LC200n = heck no

The stretch and it’s sprint runs traditionally are geared towards the top tier steels , zdp189, hap40, v-toku2, magna, vg10
I bet there’s a steel that’s over looked for the hunting geared stretch

As a hunter I would never buy one in LC200n, as I would hate having to sharpen my knife 1/2 way through the task of cleaning my game.
“”Think of an edge as a living thing that comes and goes, born, get's old, is reborn.””
SAL :spyder:

“ The best laid schemes o’ Mice an’ Men” :bug-white-red :bug-white-red
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

S-3 ranch wrote:
Wed Oct 19, 2022 7:33 am
LC200n = heck no

The stretch and it’s sprint runs traditionally are geared towards the top tier steels , zdp189, hap40, v-toku2, magna, vg10

As a hunter I would never buy one in LC200n, as I would hate having to sharpen my knife 1/2 way through the task of cleaning my game.
Not a hunter, but good points. Something like S110V may be ideal. Very stainless and wear resistant.

Though honestly, Sal has mentioned before that how designs start off are not how they end up. For example on the Stretch, it had a less pointy tip as to not puncture, but realizing it was a great EDC they went to a straight spine that was more popular for EDC. So steel choice does not always have to compliment the original design idea. Though cool when it does.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

S-3 ranch wrote:
LC200n = heck no

The SpydieChef is my favorite skinning knife. Whenever I clean the blood off one of my salts, no matter how long afterwards, it always puts a smile on my face. :winking-tongue
bobnikon

Post by bobnikon »

JSumm wrote:
Wed Oct 19, 2022 9:50 am
S-3 ranch wrote:
LC200n = heck no

Not a hunter, but good points. Something like S110V may be ideal. Very stainless and wear resistant.

Though honestly, Sal has mentioned before that how designs start off are not how they end up. For example on the Stretch, it had a less pointy tip as to not puncture, but realizing it was a great EDC they went to a straight spine that was more popular for EDC. So steel choice does not always have to compliment the original design idea. Though cool when it does.
This is my basis for the ask. I don't hunt, but my favourite knife is the Stretch 2. I will admit, I slightly favour the SS Stretch 2. And I love my leaf point Caribbean, and my PM2. That is why I want them to have a love child with a back lock.

Frankly I would take any flavour, but favour (as per the proposed parents) liners.

Cheers
Erik
S-3 ranch

Post by S-3 ranch »

JSumm wrote:
Wed Oct 19, 2022 9:50 am
S-3 ranch wrote:
LC200n = heck no

S90v, cpm 3v , cpm M4 , are imo perfect candidates for the stretch 2 original blade design
S110v I find frustration in getting it sharp in the field
“”Think of an edge as a living thing that comes and goes, born, get's old, is reborn.””

Guts

Post by Guts »

If anything, owning a Stretch 2 makes me want the Para 2 Lightweight even more. No doubt they'd have a bunch of steel and color combos for that.
:bug-red-white :bug-red :bug-white-red
Mocean

Post by Mocean »

Original drop point blade shape and K390, would buy it in a heartbeat.
bobnikon

Post by bobnikon »

Guts wrote:
Wed Oct 19, 2022 12:04 pm
If anything, owning a Stretch 2 makes me want the Para 2 Lightweight even more. No doubt they'd have a bunch of steel and color combos for that.
While I don't disagree, I like the liners and the backlock.

That is probably the answer!

Instead of trying to generate interest in new variants of the SS Stretch 2, call it the BL PARA 4. Then they won't be able to keep up with demand...
Last edited by bobnikon on Wed Oct 19, 2022 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bobnikon

Post by bobnikon »

doh
Last edited by bobnikon on Wed Oct 19, 2022 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bobnikon

Post by bobnikon »

Doh, keep hitting the quote instead of the edit button...
S-3 ranch

Post by S-3 ranch »

Mocean wrote:
Wed Oct 19, 2022 12:41 pm
Original drop point blade shape and K390, would buy it in a heartbeat.
Love it bother :smiling-heart-eyes k390 , M4 , Rex

Guts

Post by Guts »

bobnikon wrote:
Wed Oct 19, 2022 12:42 pm
Guts wrote:

Instead of trying to generate interest in new variants of the SS Stretch 2, call it the BL PARA 4. Then they won't be able to keep up with demand...
Yeah to each their own. I prefer the compression lock personally, but I'm neutral on the back locks. Own a number of them and don't hate the backlock, but don't love them either. Though I would rather hand a backlock to someone not super familiar with knives rather than a compression lock.

That said, no reason a theoretical lightweight Para 2 (I seem to remember reading they were working on one) couldn't have nested liners though. The Sage 5 LW has nested skeletonized liners and the upcoming Lil Temperance 3 LW has them as well. They could do a backlock version for the backlock lovers like they did with the Manix
:bug-red-white :bug-red :bug-white-red
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

How 'bout

Hunting: CPM 15V with LC200N liners.
Fishing: LC200N with LC200N liners.

Bright aqua, baby blue, orange, yellow or toxic green FRN scales for both.
bobnikon

Post by bobnikon »

Coastal wrote:
Wed Oct 19, 2022 3:15 pm
How 'bout

Hunting: CPM 15V with LC200N liners.
Fishing: LC200N with LC200N liners.

Bright aqua, baby blue, orange, yellow or toxic green FRN scales for both.
Works for me. Like I say, just about any flavour works for me
bobnikon

Post by bobnikon »

Guts wrote:
Wed Oct 19, 2022 1:04 pm
bobnikon wrote:
Wed Oct 19, 2022 12:42 pm
Guts wrote:

Yeah to each their own. I prefer the compression lock personally, but I'm neutral on the back locks. Own a number of them and don't hate the backlock, but don't love them either. Though I would rather hand a backlock to someone not super familiar with knives rather than a compression lock.

That said, no reason a theoretical lightweight Para 2 (I seem to remember reading they were working on one) couldn't have nested liners though. The Sage 5 LW has nested skeletonized liners and the upcoming Lil Temperance 3 LW has them as well. They could do a backlock version for the backlock lovers like they did with the Manix
One of the main reasons I really prefer the backlock is the absolute security of the "detent" when closed, and IMO they are bomb proof and gunk proof. Pretty much the AK47 of locks. (Side note, if you haven't checked it out look for "will it AK" on YouTube).

Cheers
BIGSTRETCH

Post by BIGSTRETCH »

I love the stretch, miss the old blade shape.

If we’re sticking with JDM steels, a Super Gold Stretch with gold accents like the mass drop exclusives would be pretty badass.

If not Japanese steel, Spyderco’s 4V (DLC on this plz) and the harder runs of M390 are next level.

I have HAP 40, ZDP and Vtoku2 steels in my Stretch collection already, so something more Stainless would be nice for variety’s sake.