Do you use your Spyderco or just collect them?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ChrisinHove

Re: Do you use your Spyderco or just collect them?

Post by ChrisinHove »

I use several frequently, a few regularly, some rarely, and several never.
Urkilnmesmalls

Post by Urkilnmesmalls »

I use mine. I have several that are sentimental but still get used hard. I like to be able to tell the people who got them for me about their adventures. My best friend gifted me a shaman and I have beat the brakes off it, acid stonewashed it, ground off the choil nub that sticks out in the comp lock cutout. It’s a beast and it gets treated as such. It cuts down boxes, scrapes gum off of floors, Jimmys door locks that we don’t have keys for at work, chops bushes, and after a wash does a pretty good job cutting up the meats and vegetables for supper. It’s just one of several spyders I use for the same things. Testing them is the best part
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Wed Oct 12, 2022 10:43 am
I try to use them but at some point you just have too many. I admit to having knives that have never even seen the light of day. Sometimes I forget that I even bought them. I once found a couple brand new sprints in the console of my truck that I forgot about. I own three vehicles and don’t drive my truck a lot. They made it from my mailbox to there and that was it. I was cleaning it out so I could drop it off at the shop and found them.

I’m a user/hoarder/collector which basically means that I like knives, have disposable income, lack self control and am very disorganized. I also am too lazy to sell things even when I don’t need or want them. They are just piling up.

Thanks for your honesty 😂
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Both. I have "several hundred" in my collection. Some are pure collectibles and have never seen the inside of a pocket. Some get carried occasionally, a couple get carried regularly, several are staged around the house and serve as letter and package openers, and my Kitchen Sharps are about the only knives I ever use in the kitchen.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

The only Spyderco , if I had one, that I wouldn’t use would be the World Trade Center.

Just like car seat and seat covers: “Why keep them perfect for the next person, and not enjoy them”
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
Scandi Grind

Post by Scandi Grind »

Ha ha! This is kind of a funny question to me. I don't own a lot of knives relatively, although I think my mentality qualifies me as a collector. However I buy knives because I have a use for them, not merely to have them. Even knives that I am afraid to use at first will eventually get used hard because I just can't help it no matter how many reservations I have.

I like knives because they cut. They aren't any use if they just sit there, and not any fun either!
"A knifeless man is a lifeless man."

-- Old Norse proverb
SpyderGrill

Post by SpyderGrill »

Great responses here. I have way to many knives. Its hard for me to pick what Spyderco I want to carry. I get one out and love it, then I get another out and cant decide. Shaman is in my pocket now.

Ladybug,,, start a dirty knife thread! New knives propped up against a scenery is nice, but lets see some dirty knives!

ladybug93 wrote:
Wed Oct 12, 2022 12:35 pm
i have a modest collection of spydercos compared to many around here. i think i'm at 21 now. all of them have been used and many of them are cycled through the rotation still. i bought a vallotton because it's art that i could hard use if i needed to. i bought a chicago as a joke because of dumb rules where i was working at the time. so, i don't really use either of them (for different reasons), but not because i don't like them or because they are meant to gather dust.

with the amount of knives people around here have, i wouldn't expect them to constantly post all of them in use. then there's the fact that most of us probably don't stop in the middle of a job to take pictures of our knives in use. most of the time, that's not even safe. i guess i'm just not sure what is being requested here.

i use my knives. i don't use them that hard, but i like to know that they are capable tools should the need arise. i take pictures of my knives when i'm not using them and typically wipe the blades off before pictures. maybe i'll start taking some pics of my knives still dirty every once in a while and post them.
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

I use them all, except if upon reception I see that I don't really like the knife. In this case I either return it or don't use it in order to trade with someone that will.

Big surprise : this doesn't happen often :winking-tongue
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
Jim Malone

Post by Jim Malone »

I collect the ones i don't use. The only true collectables that are NIB in my collection are the WTC knife and a Spyderco forum knife. The rest was carried and sometimes used.
Archimedes

Post by Archimedes »

I use my users and collect knives I know I will never use. I have a 25th Anniversary Delica on my desk that was a knife I bought because it was such a work of art. I take it out of the box from time to time and just look at the Damascus Spiders and think how amazingly creative that work was.

I don't really collect knives as much anymore. I may buy one or two for the collection a year. I don't really buy users much anymore either. I am happy with the Military as my EDC and really cant see using anything else at this point.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

SpyderGrill wrote:
Fri Oct 14, 2022 11:57 pm
Ladybug,,, start a dirty knife thread! New knives propped up against a scenery is nice, but lets see some dirty knives!
here you go... this is possibly the closest i've had to a grail spyderco, though grail is probably too strong a word... it's a knife; not a chalice used by my Savior to symbolize His ultimate love for me and the rest of humanity. anyway, only 800ish pieces sold out in 3 minutes, but however prized it is in my collection, i didn't buy it just to look at it.
rec exclusive manix
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

I use the ones I buy. I have a few I inherited from my dad that neither he nor I have used. I have more than I’ll ever use up, but about 8 of mine see regular use. The rest mostly sit around, seeing only occasional use.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

SpyderGrill wrote:
Tue Oct 11, 2022 10:34 pm
Do you get a new Spyderco and use it, or do you buy it to keep up with the Kardashians?

I am guilty a little bit, some knives, like Sprints or Exclusives,

Does anyone actually use their knives? Where is the in use pictures? Where are the scratched up blades from use? Where are the stories of a Spyderco saving your life?

Like I said im guilty but I would love to see Dave Canterbury carry a Shaman for a month and hear his opinion.

The Ayoob thread is still alive thanks to JD, where are all the pics of it in use? None. People bought it and pushed it aside to the collection.
OH NO!!! you are wrong my Brother with that observation I can assure you. I can tell you with 1000% certainty that there are quite a few of us on the C-60 Ayoob, I won't Shut UP thread that do indeed use our C-60 models ( old and new Sprint Runs both).

One of the more recent posts from Brother Mark Greeenman on that particular thread goes into detail as to what he specifically uses his for. Sure about half of the Sprint Runs sold end up in vast collections or become safe queens or end up being "show off pieces" in man caves. But there are dozens of that Sprint Run that already have miles on them.

But it's easily over half of the models that end up getting used for daily cutting chores. Don't be deceived.
Guts

Post by Guts »

I use them all. Only own a couple sprints. My hangup with sprints is if I break or lose one it'll be impossible or expensive to replace so I generally only get the standard production models instead. I enjoy getting to try the exotic steels though.
:bug-red-white :bug-red :bug-white-red