Do you use your Spyderco or just collect them?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Peter1960

Re: Do you use your Spyderco or just collect them?

Post by Peter1960 »

yablanowitz wrote:
Wed Oct 12, 2022 12:20 pm

What do you think?
I wonder why the spyderhole and handle are still the original size. ;)
Peter - founding member of Spydiewiki.com

"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"
Spyderco's company motto
SG89

Post by SG89 »

How lucky are we to be in such a predicament in the first place.
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
attila

Post by attila »

I buy more than I have the need of, so sometimes mine don’t get used immediately or for long or very long periods. It’s not safe-queenitis, it’s just insufficient opportunities for proper use.
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5
grasshopper

Post by grasshopper »

I used to be a big time user, the work I did (restaurant mgr, chemical systems installer)
Allowed me to grab a knife from my pocket 30 to 40 times a day. I’m lucky to have a great
Brick and mortar store here and I frequently stopped in looking for my next great
Cutting tool. I usually had a rotation of about 7 or 8 knives that got the heaviest usage.
When a knife got to the point of being “well worn” I gave them away to family, friends
And employees. Then I could buy a new knife!

I’m now retired (2 years) and one of the weird things I’m missing is how little my
Collection gets ‘used’. I’ve been relegated to cutting food, opening mail and other
Light tasks. If I get a big box from Amazon I truly get excited!
Don’t get me wrong I’m not going back to work. ;) :winking-tongue

My status has moved from being a user to a collector.
c113cf caly3, c134 g.bradley ,c90 cf stretch,
c55 starmate, c66 vesuvius(x2), c39 mini-dyad
c56 zowada, c11cf delica, Spyderco (Wegner) Mouse,
c49 wegner jr, c83 persian, ladybug (x2), C101 Manix2
c05 standard(x2), c65cf Lum Chinese, c48 wegner, jester(x2)
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

I get the most pleasure from buying, fondling, and modding knives to remove their perceived flaws. Yep it's kinda weird.
I like how most people here understand and accept that people are different and they enjoy the hobby in different ways.
I carry at least one knife everyday but my "office" job does not require a knife. So mostly they open mail, cut cardboard and do some gardening work. I like sharpening and regrinding (usually by hand) to make the knife a laser beam. And then I put it away. Haha, try not to be too upset. Personally I'm not too bothered by what other people do unless it affects me. There are plenty of knives to go around even if you miss a sprint or two.
I don't like to amass a ton of knives so I tend to purge every now and then. At one time I owned a few dozen Spydercos but now I have around 10. My tastes have changed.
Netherend

Post by Netherend »

soc_monki wrote:
Wed Oct 12, 2022 7:48 am
I use. Even sprints and exclusives. Yes, some get more use than others, but I do use them all.
Same
Just one more knife...
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

I carry knives for self defense hence all of my knives, although carried, look brand new. I sold off or am selling knives that I do not need at AZCK.

I'd love to go on a month long excursion to Alaska with an outfitter and learn some skills related to bushcrafting. I have the knives to try out and maybe I'd pick up another blade or two for the trip. Maybe someday.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
SRT392HEMI

Post by SRT392HEMI »

ALL my Spydies are in the carry rotation. They are too awesome to sit in a drawer. These knives want to cut stuff. Make your knives happy, cut stuff! :tonque-out
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

Oops

I wrote out/edited 6-paragraphs that disappeared after being prompted to log-in, LOL!

I've used all my Spydies, but was a "collector" by the time I stopped lurking and actually started posting here. Spyderco's focus on performance and ergonomics has always separated it as a production knife company and its focus on innovation and experimental steel optimization has put it into a league of its own. The Spyderco Forum's openness, dedication, long-term experience, knowledge and curiosity sets it apart in the knife community and keeps me checking in daily.

Spyderco dominates my "collection" and is the best production knife company in the world in my opinion.

I've started carrying my knives weeks/months at a time, which is the only way to really become familiar with them but it leaves all the others sitting in storage.
Last edited by Airlsee on Thu Oct 13, 2022 12:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
So it goes.
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

-- Nope
So it goes.
Skar

Post by Skar »

Most of my spyderco knives are sprints or exclusives. I use all of them, some get more use than others.
Just depends on my mood for the day.
aaronkb

Post by aaronkb »

Check out this thread for the pictures you were asking about:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=93480

For myself, I’ll echo the sentiments of many on here. I buy every knife with the intent to use it, but I have an absurd number at this point and I gravitate more to some than others for various reasons. So all get used, but some get used a lot and some get used a little.

Nearly every knife in my collection is a sprint or exclusive; I’m a sucker for the exotic steels. Even though I know s30v is great, I get more excited about the way M4, Rex 45, and K390 (and even M390 when it’s Spyderco) perform and sharpen. In reality I know that collectors support the industry and help Spyderco keep making knives for those of us who love to use them, but I admit I do feel some type of way about sprints and exclusives in badass steels selling out in seconds only to wind up in a case on a shelf where Proprietary USA Surgical Stainlesstm would be just as good. I’ve never been unable to snag one I really wanted, but I know there are people who would really take advantage of the special configuration but miss out. Sometimes I think the solution would be to make tons of knives in those steels, and have super limited releases of highly collectible knives in standard steels but interesting color configurations. Everybody wins.
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

I see myself as a user with a collection of used Spydies, most of which are sprints and exclusives.

I may also have a small number of yet-to-be-used backups... :squinting-tongue
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Brock O Lee wrote:
Thu Oct 13, 2022 12:14 am
I see myself as a user with a collection of used Spydies, most of which are sprints and exclusives.
Thank you Hans, I've been thinking of how I'd categorize myself, and that seems to sum it up perfectly. Definitely this.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

I consider myself a user , but I do have a collection. I rotate and not afraid to throw any knife I have in pocket . I have some that are special occasion knives and one that is very special that I take great pains to not abuse for personal reasons . I do have a few custom FB blades that I have not used yet but Randall knives have a way of being in my backpack. I purged all my safe queens and hope others will enjoy them . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
SixShot666

Post by SixShot666 »

I have more Spyderco than there are days in the year. With that being said, I use only about 5% of my Spyderco collection, and all of those are my doubles. I use to only have 3-4 Spyderco in the beginning, but I ended up enjoying the feelings and aspects of collecting them. The thrills of chasing down a sprint run, the agony of missing out on an exclusive, and the satisfaction of finishing up a collection or finding that last piece to the set.

Plus we live in time where there are so many great selection of knives from both Spyderco and other manufacturers, it's impossible to just stick with a couple for your EDC.
:bug-white-red Over 300 Spyderco :bug-white-red
27---Hinderer XM-18 3.5"
8-----Hinderer XM-24 4"
9-----Hinderer Eklipse 3.5"
6-----Hinderer Maximus Bayonet Grind
3-----CRK Sebenza 21 Large
18---CRK Sebenza 31 Large
1-----CRK Sebenza 31 Large Elforyn Super Tusk Micarta
1-----CRK Inkosi Tanto Large
1-----CRK Inkosi Insingo Large Black Canvas Micarta
2-----CRK Umnumzaan Drop Point & Tanto
26---Spartan Harsey Folders Special Edition
95---Bark River Knives
18---Dawson Knives
69---Microtech Combat Troodon
27---Microtech Ultratech
9-----Microtech Delta Dirac
3-----Microtech Scarab II
65---Others Microtech Knives (Borka SBD & SBK, Stitch, Arbiter, Exocet, Hawk, Socom Elite, Socom Alpha, Socom Bravo)
27---Marfione Custom Knives
12---Kiku Matsuda Custom Knives
5-----CAS Sobral Brothers Custom Knives
8-----Rockstead Knives
Over 400 Benchmade, Cold Steel, Heretic Knives, Pro-Tech, RMJ Tactical, SOG, TOPS, WE Knives, Reate, Kizer, Condor Machetes, & Fox Knives combined.
AH80s

Post by AH80s »

Strictly users only these days. I personally have no desire for non users. In fact I would now find it a little irritating to have one just sitting in a box for no reason other than to just have it.
Andrew
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

I have way too many to use, and I use way too many to be considered normal.
Road Tripper

Post by Road Tripper »

I try to use all of them. Apart from backups of some special-to-me models, I keep them out and pick one when I dress for the day.
Mtnsteve

Post by Mtnsteve »

I have a few I use regularly and even more that I haven’t gotten around to using.
I carried my black stainless steel Police for 24+ years even though my rep told me to put it away and save it because they discontinued it. I still use it.

Imageimage upload