EDC steel advice

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Re: EDC steel advice

Post by Doc Dan »

It depends on what it is that you are looking for. If you want extreme corrosion resistance and near maintenance free, then go with the LC200N. If you want extreme edge retention, like unbelievable, and will put vaseline on your knife and give it regular maintenance, then get the K390. If you are somewhere in between, get the VG10 or 20CV.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

If you're set on LC200N, I'll throw my hat toward the Native 5. It's a fantastic design, with a very comfortable handle. Made in the USA, and does just about everything you could ever ask of a pocket knife. The handle works a lot better for my XL hands than the Delica.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
dtipton

Post by dtipton »

Thanks everyone for the feedback. Really appreciate it!
Nate

Post by Nate »

dtipton wrote:
Sun Oct 02, 2022 3:52 pm
If LC200N any advice salt 2 vs Native 5?

UKPK!! :winking-tongue
:spyder:
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

Vg10 sure is hard to beat for a true EDC blade.
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
sethwm

Post by sethwm »

Nate wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 6:46 am
dtipton wrote:

I just sold my UKPK. Well built knife but I can't close it one handed. The half stop detent is too strong.

This thread made me go and take out my Salt 2 LC200N PE. What a nice knife. Other sentimental blades aside, this would be my only-knife if I had to choose.
dtipton

Post by dtipton »

A friend offered to let me give his native 5 lc200n a try. Not his cup of tea he says. I think it is a keeper. Thanks for all the advice!
engine

Post by engine »

Manix2 lightweight worth the money? Is it a "real" Manix?
petz462

Post by petz462 »

dtipton wrote:
Wed Oct 05, 2022 4:17 pm
A friend offered to let me give his native 5 lc200n a try. Not his cup of tea he says. I think it is a keeper. Thanks for all the advice!
Excellent choice. I think you'll like it.
Dave
USAF Retired
Wandering_About

Post by Wandering_About »

engine wrote:
Tue Oct 11, 2022 2:30 am
Manix2 lightweight worth the money? Is it a "real" Manix?
Manix 2 LW is definitely worth the money. Excellent knife. It's much different if you hold it side by side with a full G10 Manix, but both are excellent. I actually carry the LW version more often, personally. It packs a lot of good things into a very light package.
Because desolate places allow us to breathe. And most people don't even know they're out of breath.

MNOSD member #0035
engine

Post by engine »

My choice is now between these 2 steels:
CTS-BD1/N
vs
VG10.
Data from various sites are contradictory. On "bladehq" say:
CTS-BD1/N: Edge Retention/Toughness/Corrosion Resistance/Ease of Sharpening=4/4/9/8
VG10: 5/4/8/7
And that site say that VG10 is upper class steel than BD1.
But on this forum "HTC database" topic say:
CTS-BD1/N: 59HTC
VG10: 57.9HTC
and that's a big difference in favor of BD1.
Could anyone directly compare the two steels they are using Spiderco?
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Keep in mind, BD1 and BD1N are different with the latter being generally run harder offering more wear resistance and edge stability. I don't think you are going to notice a real difference. In my complete unscientific opinion, I prefer VG-10. Seems like the edge holds up just a bit better and sharpens just as easily. Also, the models you can get in VG-10 are typically thinner stock if you prefer that.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

Im pretty sure Spyderco's VG10 is often ran harder than that
Edir : cant really argue in the end, the test results I have seen are from hrc databases wich I can't really remember the creator were and/or how the perform their tests (meaning correctly, or not)
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
S-3 ranch

Post by S-3 ranch »

As a maritime worker my vote is vg10, LC200n can’t stay sharp without every day edge maintenance, and when we need to cut in a hurry sawing threw something isn’t in the cards!
LC200n is easy enough to sharpen, but requires it often/ daily
“”Think of an edge as a living thing that comes and goes, born, get's old, is reborn.””
SAL :spyder:

“ The best laid schemes o’ Mice an’ Men” :bug-white-red :bug-white-red
Nate

Post by Nate »

sethwm wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 10:26 am
Nate wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 6:46 am
dtipton wrote:

I just sold my UKPK. Well built knife but I can't close it one handed. The half stop detent is too strong.

Late late reply, but I generally break the intial resistance with my thumb and then close it with my index finger pressing down on the spine “over the top,” second nature to me at this point, but can close it one-handed multiple other ways as well.
:spyder:
Ryder

Post by Ryder »

You don’t have CPM-SPY27 on your list. Perhaps it is not available in the pattern you desire? I have it with the Native 5 and it is really something else. It is much harder than the SAK blades but really isn’t that difficult to sharpen. It will outcut the SAK steel for sure and does so against many other steels but it is tough and won’t chip like some harder steels. Mine does food prep like a dream and no pitting or corrosion of any kind though I usually don’t clean it in the wilderness. It slices like a maniac though the spine is nice and sturdy. The grind geometry is just super white the overall design is ingenious.

I have never had to sharpen it in the wilderness either. It cuts like nobody’s business. Other uses for mine is cutting mesquite branches for trail maintenance. With my very acute convexed edge it will neither chip of roll and the wear resistance is amazing. One profiled to my taste it only needs a few strops over worn 400 grit to bring it back shaving sharp. It has the same length of sharpened edge as my SAK Farmer so it’s easy to compare. There really is no comparison though. The SPY27 on the Native 5 is Godzilla, much more sturdy or a tool and far more ergonomic. It is also lighter in weight. If you are ever able to get your hands on this stuff you will not regret a bit more expense. You will know where the money went. The design of the steel is like the overall design of the knife, totally astonishing.