EDC steel advice

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
RevMike

Re: EDC steel advice

Post by RevMike »

LC200N for sure.
404 :bug-red-white s in 81 steel flavors.
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

I'd echo much of what's been said. For normal use LC or VG10 are excellent. If the money is no issue get LC, if the budget is more of a consideration then VG10.

I love LC200N, even though i don't always need the corrosion resistance. VG10 and LC200N have similarly good sharpening responses. LC is tougher and more corrosion resistant. If you don't need the corrosion resistance you probably won't notice a difference.

If you prefer steel liners under the FRN then go VG10 and if you like linerless FRN then go LC200N.
zuludelta

Post by zuludelta »

I suggest going with LC200N or even VG-10... they have more than adequate edge retention for EDC use & they're fairly easy to maintain & keep sharp.

I'd hold off on the K390 until you've gotten a bit more practice sharpening & have maybe invested in diamond or CBN rods for your Sharpmaker (or some quality diamond plates).
dtipton

Post by dtipton »

If LC200N any advice salt 2 vs Native 5?
dtipton

Post by dtipton »

sal wrote:
Sat Oct 01, 2022 10:18 pm
Hi Dtipton,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
Thank you!
mtb

Post by mtb »

dtipton wrote:
Sun Oct 02, 2022 3:52 pm
Salt 2 for me as the Native 5 (which I have too) just feels chunkier at times :winking-tongue
no wrong choice here... just what you prefer eventually :squinting-tongue
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

dtipton wrote:
At that point its mostly down to personal preference and use. I like the Native handle a little more than the Delica/Salt handle. The Salt has slightly thinner stock and grind and is a little lighter. The Native may feel more stout and has a slightly shorter cutting edge.

Do you like a forward 50/50 choil over an exposed ricasso?
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

dtipton wrote:
If you are going to go the Native 5 route, get the SPY27 version. It is, essentially, a particle metallurgy version of VG10. Plus, the steel is unique to Spyderco. That model is a little more pricey than some of the other suggestions though.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

All of the stainless steels Spyderco sells, and some of the non-stainless, are perfect for EDC use. Just go with the knife you like best, in the color you like best. Don't over think it.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Matus

Post by Matus »

Let me just throw the BD1N into the ring. Simple steel with decent edge holding (not far away from VG10 or LC200N), super easy to sharpen. I did more work with my UKPK finished on the gray Spyderco Sharpmaker stone than I would have expected to.

And I agree - get one of the simpler steels mentioned, because once you go to higher Vanadium steels you should really invest in a decent diamond stones - what is an entirely different level of investment. Without the diamonds, sharpening these steels becomes a chore and may discourage you to learn the sharpening and take away the joy of freshly well sharpened edge away from you.

Well sharpened VG10 or LC200N will be a lot more satisfying that barely sharpened k390 or S110V, even if the later will most likely still cut longer.
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
spydergoat

Post by spydergoat »

They are both near perfect edc knives but for an LC200n knife I would prefer salt 2 over native 5 as its more compact and the seki city frn handle feels better to me than the golden frn
Netherend

Post by Netherend »

dtipton wrote:
You can’t go wrong with either. The native might be a little more versatile with the thicker blade.
Just one more knife...
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

dtipton wrote:
Could depend on multiple preferences. If you can get somewhere where they have them in stock that would be great.
For me and my preferences.
1.) Blade - I prefer the Delica. Thinner and just cuts better in my opinion.
2.) Handle - this is where I may differ from some. They both are smaller than my preferences. I feel like my hand is slipping off the back of the Delica. Where the choil on the Native kinda locks me in. I prefer the Native on the small front.
3.) FRN - the feel of Seki FRN with the chamfered edges feels really nice. I like it much better than the Native FRN.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

dtipton wrote:
that's a tough choice. i would probably get the salt 2 myself. since it's all subjective, here are some objective differences to consider...

salt 2 has a thinner blade, so it's definitely a better slicer.
native salt has a more squared-off handle that some people complain about being uncomfortable in long-term use, whereas the salt 2 is thinner and more rounded.
the native is definitely more robust in the grip, lock, and blade.

i don't have a salt 2, but i've handled them and have a delica (i only don't have a salt 2 yet because i prefer the larger pacific). i also have the native salt. i think the handle is way more ergonomic on the native, but the salt 2 is more comfortable in my waistband, where i typically carry salts. the thicker blade of the native is fine, but it's my only real complaint about the design. for edc, it's fine, it's just not ideal and it's noticeably less slicey than the delica. like i said, i think i'd choose the salt 2 if i was in your position, but you have to weigh the facts for yourself and decide.

eta: both are great knives with different purposes. it's like hiking boots vs sneakers... you'll probably want a pair of both eventually. unless you prefer some trail runners, in which case you should get a manix 2 lightweight. ;)
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

I will suggest that 20CV and K390 will be too difficult for you to sharpen. So next you have to decide how much corrosion resistance you need which could steer you to LC200 for instance. Personally I think the characteristics of Cruwear are best for the average user. However VG10 and S30v are good steels and much better than what custom knife makers were using as premium steel not all that long ago.
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

I never get the non-Salt version of a Salt knife so, for me, that eliminates the Delica even though it's a great knife. I also seldom get a heavier version of a knife if a lighter version exists, and in this case the Salt is lighter than the Delica. I prefer linerless knives to linered ones because they don't have liners to rust so, again, the Salt wins over the Delica. I greatly prefer thinner blade stock if it's available, and the Salt has thinner stock than the Native (2.5 mm vs 3 mm).

That said, the Delica, Native and Salt are all really nice knives in any of their steels.
DansGearAddiction

Post by DansGearAddiction »

LC200N is what I'd go with. It's a great all-around steel and available on several models: Siren, SpydieChef, Salt 2, UKPK, Native 5, Caribbean, etc.
Current Collection
Chaparral (LW, Stepped, Stealth, Sun & Moon), Dragonfly 2 (VG-10), McBee, Stretch 2 (K390), UKPK Salt (LC200N)
sethwm

Post by sethwm »

dtipton wrote:
This is a matter of personal preference. Some people strongly prefer one over another. For me I really like the delica shape and less so the native. Try both and get them in your hands.
SchoonerBum

Post by SchoonerBum »

The Native 5 Salt was my first folding Spyderco and I carried it daily for almost three years. It's a great knife, very sturdy, and I love the overall shape. I'm less a fan of choils than I used to be, and so I usually carry the Salt 2 these days rather than the Native. The best advice I can give you between them is try them out if you can and go with the one that's more comfortable in hand. The Native Salt has the advantage of being exactly like all Native 5s, so you can try whatever Native 5 your local shop has in stock. The Salt 2 has a slightly different blade and thumb ramp than the Delica, but in practice I carry a Salt 2 around the water and a Delica around town without noticing much difference in use.

As far as steels go, LC200N for sure. It's fantastic and having a nearly maintenance-free knife is great. If you're only going to have one knife that's the steel I would recommend, but I live at the coast and work on the water so I'm a little biased there.

For a second knife, I really like 20CV as a fancier steel. I have a couple of the KnifeJoy exclusives that were linked elsewhere in this thread and they're really nice. If I'm not carrying something rustproof it's usually one of those. They do require more sharpening care - 20CV is a joy to use but if I could only have one steel I would take LC200N every time.
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

Have over a dozen years with LC200N.
It tunes up and strops up like a dream.
If you regularly strop, you won’t need to sharpen as much as the other super steels.
:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.