I can’t deny my knife crush on the Spydiechef.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Fireman

Re: I can’t deny my knife crush on the Spydiechef.

Post by Fireman »

Sorry to hear this, Mike. Time to build some new memories with a new knife.
:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Mike Slayer wrote:
Tue Sep 27, 2022 10:10 pm
Sorry for you Mike. That is a lot to get past. I hope you find new memories and a knife that will remind you of good things.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

I think eventually I need to try a Spydiechef. I got to hold one once and really liked the feel of it. I do think it would take some getting used to for a general EDC with that blade angle. And I am one of those crazies that occasionaly uses a folder for food prep. Especially when camping which this model would serve well in. Looks like it carries so nice too, which is an added bonus.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Cowboyfromhell

Post by Cowboyfromhell »

Its definitely one of my favorites. I love that its slim, lightweight, impervious to the elements, and titanium. Plus it looks cool!
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

The SpydieChef is a great concept that maybe could be tweaked to a slightly higher grade of perfection.

Subjectively I love the size (perfect fit in my smaller than average hands and carries well), ergonomics and its efficient blade to handle ratio. Low maintenance materials and simple construction that's easy to clean and very few cracks and corners for residue and gunk to hide and build up.

What leaves me a little wanting is the blade geometry. For its most logical application it should have been thinner behind the edge. I would love to see a hollow ground high performance version, even if requires a different steel to achieve it. Preferable still with salt or near salt corrosion resistance and decent edge holding.
And the Reeve integral lock, while central to its simple construction that I praised above, it's turned out to not be a favorite in actual use. Even if I look past the terrible lock stick issues mine had, and still has to some degree, which I kind of don't mind once I got past the initial disappointment. My main gripe is that it lacks a self close bias and I find it takes more effort and focus to close it safely when my hands are covered in all kinds of slippery blood and/or other goo-ish substances.

Because It has opened a couple of times in my pocket, and I've become quite wary of carrying it in pocket combined with less stellar cutting performance than I had anticipated, it didn't quite achieve the position in my collection that I had perceived. I still find it useful enough that I've yet to consider selling it, so it's certainly not a bad knife. I just had my expectations dialed up to high.

I don't think the R.I.L. could be replaced without totally messing up the fundamental design, so forced to chose, I'd wish for an updated version with improved edge geometry. And maybe, in the future, a totally different "chefs" oriented design based on a backlock salt with thinner blade stock and FRN scales. Something along the lines of a StretchieChef XL Salt
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

Mike Slayer wrote:
The Spydiechef has been my favorite Spyderco for a number of years. It never left my pocket until recently. My Wife ordered two of them for me as a present and she had both engraved with a special phrase with a lot of meaning to the both of us. She is divorcing me even though I didn't want the divorce but she wasn't open to anything else. Now she is with another so I gave her both of my beloved Spydiechefs back. I couldn't keep them or carry them anymore. The pain is too great and I haven't been able to afford or bring myself to buy another one. It's still my all time favorite Spyderco and I recommend it to everyone that ask for a recommendation in that price range. I am not sure if I will ever own another one but at least it makes me happy to see others enjoying the Spydiechef as much as I did.
Check your PMs.
Araignee

Post by Araignee »

Fireman wrote:
Wed Sep 28, 2022 4:10 am
Sorry to hear this, Mike. Time to build some new memories with a new knife.
... and with a new wife :smiling-hearts
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Mike Slayer wrote:
Wow, I'm sorry to read this. Hard times, but it will get better.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

Sorry the knives were too painful for you to continue carrying, but do remember that they were faithful companions.
Mike Slayer

Post by Mike Slayer »

Check your PM's Patrick. Thank's guys it means a lot. My Spydiechef's never failed me and always did what I asked them to do. Hopefully one day she will pass them down to my son's but who knows. This is why I always come back to this forum. I have joined a lot of forums but this is the only one I always come back to. Not because of the knives but because of the people. Thank you all.