Stretch 2 XL in grey G10 and CruWear steel!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
TheGiant80

Stretch 2 XL in grey G10 and CruWear steel!

Post by TheGiant80 »

Well, I might need to buy four or five and just have that be my go-to knife from here on out. When Sal announced the first iteration of the S2XL, this is the setup I was dreaming about and now it's actually happening....and it's NOT a sprint run! Woo!

I am one happy giant today!
harpo1

Re: Stretch 2 XL in grey G10 and CruWear steel!

Post by harpo1 »

Excited it's going to be a production knife.
--Pete
vivi

Post by vivi »

Just an FYI Mr. Janich mentioned these will have full skeletonized liners. This could be a great run for people that want a Stretch 2 but prefer liners.
:unicorn
PeanutButterFan

Post by PeanutButterFan »

The price is a healthy reminder of why we don’t see a lot of G10 variants come out of Japan but this model definitely deserves it!
capt.carl

Post by capt.carl »

This is going to be incredible
elena86

Post by elena86 »

G10 ?! No thank you ! This ruins one of the great attributes of the S2 XL: the lightweight(and the lack of liners). Bummer !
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
kobold

Post by kobold »

I don't have a Cruwear folder yet. And I like G10 more than FRN. Hmm.. This reveal is so dangerous. :-)
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
dsvirsky

Post by dsvirsky »

G10 and liners? No thanks.
rgc

Post by rgc »

G-10 and liners just over 4oz at 4.6 oz . . . not bad if you ask me but then again I love the Native Chief with its 4" blade at 4.1oz so I would definitely be considering this one (price being the main question).
TheGiant80

Post by TheGiant80 »

I have to admit I was a bit more excited about this model when I read the literature saying it was linerless. I'm glad Mr. Janich came by and corrected the info, and I'm still going to pick the knife up on release though.
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

It does say linerless G10 in the description i read, but the weight increase would make more sense if there were liners.
mark greenman

Post by mark greenman »

vivi wrote:
Tue Sep 27, 2022 10:59 am
Just an FYI Mr. Janich mentioned these will have full skeletonized liners. This could be a great run for people that want a Stretch 2 but prefer liners.
The visible steel liners + steel backspacer makes for a very beautiful and sturdy knife. It stays utilitarian but bumps up the class factor by a ton. Makes for much more of an 'heirloom knife' feel without going overboard and making me scared to use it.

It was absolutely transformative in terms of what it did for the Endura, and has proven really nice on the latest Ayoob sprint. If the new Stretch XL is similarly turned out then this will be a great option.

steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Man, how cool would it be if they added the Endura, Endela, Delica, and Wharnie variants of each to the production lineup in this combo?
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
vivi

Post by vivi »

mark greenman wrote:
Tue Sep 27, 2022 1:33 pm
vivi wrote:
The visible steel liners + steel backspacer makes for a very beautiful and sturdy knife. It stays utilitarian but bumps up the class factor by a ton. Makes for much more of an 'heirloom knife' feel without going overboard and making me scared to use it.
I agree 100% these linered versions are more impressive feeling in hand and look good, but I rarely ever carry one personally.

Every knife that has a lighter weight version, that's what I tend to carry. Pacific Salt over a regular Endura, Stretch FRN over the ZDP/CF variant, Manix 2 XL over a C95, Police LW over a Police 4 G10, etc.

If I wanted to impress someone and turn them on to Spyderco, sure I'd hand them a G10 Endura. But I clip a Pacific Salt to my shorts every morning because they work better for me.
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

The description for Stretch2 XL CPM-CRU-WEAR Gray G-10 (C258GPGYCW) says that the scales are linerless. However, it weighs 4.6 oz. compared to 2.70 oz. for the Stretch2 XL VG-10 Black FRN (C258PBK) which is also linerless.

"Spyderco’s Stretch 2 XL Lightweight revolutionized the concept of the ultra-lean “magnum-sized” folding knife. For those who prefer a bit more heft, this expression of the Stretch 2 XL design swaps the original injection-molded handle for precision-machined gray G-10 scales. The linerless scales feature a peel-ply texture for a non-slip grip and are supported by a stainless steel backspacer. They also house threaded inserts that allow the fully configurable attachment of a four-position pocket clip. Equally unique, the full-flat-ground blade of this knife is crafted from CPM CRU-WEAR—a specially formulated air-hardening tool steel enhanced by the Crucible Particle Metallurgy (CPM) process that offers superior wear resistance, excellent toughness, and an ultra-fine, extremely homogeneous grain structure. The PlainEdge™ blade of this knife is full-flat ground and satin finished for low-friction cutting performance and proudly features a fully accessible Trademark Round Hole™ for swift, ambidextrous, one-handed opening."
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
vivi

Post by vivi »

vivi wrote:
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

The liners are a blessing or a curse. Will the liners add strength? My guess is yes and for heavy duty use, which cru wear is good for, this is a good thing. The stretch 2 XL is a modified millie imho. for hard use on the job, this is a good thing. I think I will get one of these as well as the wharnie endura.
:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
mark greenman

Post by mark greenman »

vivi wrote:
Tue Sep 27, 2022 2:03 pm
mark greenman wrote:
Tue Sep 27, 2022 1:33 pm
vivi wrote:
I agree 100% these linered versions are more impressive feeling in hand and look good, but I rarely ever carry one personally.

Every knife that has a lighter weight version, that's what I tend to carry. Pacific Salt over a regular Endura, Stretch FRN over the ZDP/CF variant, Manix 2 XL over a C95, Police LW over a Police 4 G10, etc.

If I wanted to impress someone and turn them on to Spyderco, sure I'd hand them a G10 Endura. But I clip a Pacific Salt to my shorts every morning because they work better for me.
Well whats interesting to me is how much more substantial / quality the G10+Full liners feel relative to the surprisingly minimal weight increase over FRN.

Stretch 2 FRN = 3.7oz
Stretch 2 G10/Steel = 4.4oz
= + 0.7oz / 19.84g
= +3.5 US quarters

Endura 4 FRN ffg = 3.4oz
Endura g10 = 4.5oz
= +1.1oz / 31.19g
= + 5 US quarters

For me, the really minor weight increase is worth it for the +200% more quality feel of the G10/Liners. Especially since even the 'heavy' version is quite lightweight.
mark greenman

Post by mark greenman »

steelcity16 wrote:
Tue Sep 27, 2022 1:41 pm
Man, how cool would it be if they added the Endura, Endela, Delica, and Wharnie variants of each to the production lineup in this combo?
That would be fantastic. Or at least a sprint / limited run.

The G10 Endura is one of the nicest Spydercos in my collection, and was my EDC for a few years.

FRN Endura is great, but the G10/Steel version is on totally different level.

I just wish it had the pointier 'splinter picker' tip of the Gen 3 Endura/Military; that would be a cool tweak to include in the premium G10 models. Little worry anyone buying a G1O variant will be prying with theirs.
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

mark greenman wrote:
Tue Sep 27, 2022 3:31 pm
Well whats interesting to me is how much more substantial / quality the G10+Full liners feel relative to the surprisingly minimal weight increase over FRN.

Stretch 2 FRN = 3.7oz
Stretch 2 G10/Steel = 4.4oz

Weights:

Stretch2 XL Lightweight VG-10 FRN (C258BK): 2.7oz (77g)
Stretch2 XL CRU-WEAR Gray G-10 (C258GPGYCW): 4.6oz (130g)
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln