What "Other" is in your pocket???

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
JRinFL

Re: What "Other" is in your pocket???

Post by JRinFL »

Enactive wrote:
Thu Sep 22, 2022 6:28 pm
JRinFL wrote:
Wed Sep 21, 2022 11:20 am
Screen Shot 2022-09-21 at 1.18.55 PM.jpg

Pumpkin Spice Case Sodbuster.
Nice and seasonal.

I've been enjoying my two all steel and bone knives lately. Here's the newer of the two. #35 cattle knife from the last run.

ETA: Also lucky for me they both have sweet long pulls and cut swedges, quite nice i think.

PXL_20220923_001309448sm.jpg
Nice Cattle Knife! I’ve had zero luck getting any GECs since the 88. Equal ends and long pulls are a great combo. I wish GEC would expand and make a line of continuously produced “working” knives. Just a small selection of knives people can buy without the lolly scramble it is now.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Makunochimaster

Post by Makunochimaster »

Native 5 cpm-s110v G10. Native 5 cpm-s110v frn.
Lil' Native MB cpm-s30v. Dragonfly 2 zdp-189.
Delica 4 cts-204p limited. Cricket Nishijin blk vg10.
Urban n690co. Persistence s35vn lightweight.
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

Still hasn’t left the pocket, been 3 weeks since I got it.
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
SG89

Post by SG89 »

prndltech wrote:
Fri Sep 23, 2022 1:39 pm

Still hasn’t left the pocket, been 3 weeks since I got it.
Benchmade calendar contest winner 🏆
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

JRinFL wrote:
Thu Sep 22, 2022 7:44 pm
Enactive wrote:
Thu Sep 22, 2022 6:28 pm
JRinFL wrote:
Wed Sep 21, 2022 11:20 am
Screen Shot 2022-09-21 at 1.18.55 PM.jpg

Pumpkin Spice Case Sodbuster.
Nice and seasonal.

I've been enjoying my two all steel and bone knives lately. Here's the newer of the two. #35 cattle knife from the last run.

ETA: Also lucky for me they both have sweet long pulls and cut swedges, quite nice i think.

PXL_20220923_001309448sm.jpg
Nice Cattle Knife! I’ve had zero luck getting any GECs since the 88. Equal ends and long pulls are a great combo. I wish GEC would expand and make a line of continuously produced “working” knives. Just a small selection of knives people can buy without the lolly scramble it is now.
Thanks. I've been very fortunate a few times, but yeah, it's a mess trying to buy GEC at retail.

I hear you about a steady flow of the same model, in a few evergreen production models.
Ranger_Ike

Post by Ranger_Ike »

Just anodized this one. First try using 9 volt batteries.
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Ranger_Ike wrote:
Sun Sep 25, 2022 8:00 am
Looks great , I need to learn that process . Really gives the knife a unique look . Dan
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Ranger_Ike

Post by Ranger_Ike »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Sun Sep 25, 2022 8:16 am
Ranger_Ike wrote:
Looks great , I need to learn that process . Really gives the knife a unique look . Dan
Thanks! It’s a simple process once you have it all in place. There are quite a few YouTube videos, everyone having a slightly different technique. Keeping the scales clean is very important.

I don’t feel the colors are as vibrant as heat anodizing, but it’s more controllable. I am wanting to pick up a power converter so I can get a broader range of colors. Once I have a more solid technique I will try and post a walkthrough of what I do.

The best part is that it’s reversible using rust remover. So you can redo any mishaps.
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Ranger_Ike wrote:
Sun Sep 25, 2022 8:21 am
Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Sun Sep 25, 2022 8:16 am
Ranger_Ike wrote:
Thanks! It’s a simple process once you have it all in place. There are quite a few YouTube videos, everyone having a slightly different technique. Keeping the scales clean is very important.

I don’t feel the colors are as vibrant as heat anodizing, but it’s more controllable. I am wanting to pick up a power converter so I can get a broader range of colors. Once I have a more solid technique I will try and post a walkthrough of what I do.

The best part is that it’s reversible using rust remover. So you can redo any mishaps.
Thank you Ranger , I like the last tip . I can be dangerous! Dan
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

ImageImageYesterday afternoon. BM Turrent PE . MG2
Henry David Thoreau
Bustedaw11

Post by Bustedaw11 »

:winking-tongue
Attachments
20220926_045902.jpg
Makunochimaster

Post by Makunochimaster »

🦋556
Native 5 cpm-s110v G10. Native 5 cpm-s110v frn.
Lil' Native MB cpm-s30v. Dragonfly 2 zdp-189.
Delica 4 cts-204p limited. Cricket Nishijin blk vg10.
Urban n690co. Persistence s35vn lightweight.
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Getting some hard use in featuring the Inkosi. And by hard use I mean fort bed building. 😂

- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

Benchmade Griptilian
griptilian_20cv_d.jpg
vivi

Post by vivi »

newest addition to my knife roll. 240mm aogami super.
:unicorn
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

That is a sweet knife! I bet it really excels with someone like yourself that works in the field. We like watching some of the cooking shows on tv and the way some of them cut and chop things up is so impressive!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
vivi

Post by vivi »

It's a lot of fun to use. I've slowed down on folders and have been focusing on higher end kitchen knives lately.

Got to try it out making filets today.

aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

Looks very nice, Vivi!

I'm also at a point where investing in more EDC and outdoor knives doesn't really buy me any noticeable gain in performance, so I've been thinking about improving my kitchen knives.
I don't really know where to start though. I'm not interested in kitchen knives in the same way I am with EDC and outdoor knives, so it feels like stepping into a big, scary, unknown universe :)

Come to think of it, I have one knife I like to use for a wide range of cutting. It's a really cheap one and I think its a cheese knife that came with one of those gift kits. Now, the reason I mention this, is that I've though many times while using it, how nice it would have been to have a similarly built good quality knife. And also without the holes, which I assume is there to avoid cheese sticking to the knife blade.

I'll take a picture of it, maybe someone here knows of a better knife that can be used in a similar fashion.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Ha! We've been doing the same thing Vivi!
I just got thru with a 7 & 1/2 pound filet yesterday evening with the Muteki Slicer (Hitachi White Steel)
This little sclier has been great! A joy to use.
I don't think she's as hardly as smooth as my Tojiro DP (VG10) sharpened by Jason Bosman. I can't wait to let Jason get a hold of this Muteki!
vivi

Post by vivi »

aicolainen wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 3:45 am
Looks very nice, Vivi!

I'm also at a point where investing in more EDC and outdoor knives doesn't really buy me any noticeable gain in performance, so I've been thinking about improving my kitchen knives.
I don't really know where to start though. I'm not interested in kitchen knives in the same way I am with EDC and outdoor knives, so it feels like stepping into a big, scary, unknown universe :)

Come to think of it, I have one knife I like to use for a wide range of cutting. It's a really cheap one and I think its a cheese knife that came with one of those gift kits. Now, the reason I mention this, is that I've though many times while using it, how nice it would have been to have a similarly built good quality knife. And also without the holes, which I assume is there to avoid cheese sticking to the knife blade.

I'll take a picture of it, maybe someone here knows of a better knife that can be used in a similar fashion.
The nice thing about kitchen knives is you can get some very high performance knives for very cheap.

Kiwi makes a range of knives that sell for $5-10 shipped. I bought their paring knife, nakiri style knife, and ~7" "chef knife." They take screaming sharp edges easily and ship with really nice geometry. Soft stainless steel so expect frequent touch-ups and edge stability in general is pretty low. But you could easily maintain one of their knives by giving it a few swipes on a sharpmaker with fine rods every week, they sharpen so fast and easy.

Kom Kom knives come out of the same factory I believe. They're another thai brand with wood handles and stainless blades with performance just like Kiwi.

Victorinox has all sorts of good, cheap options. I like their wharncliffe paring knife for opening packages of vac sealed food etc., and their modern paring knife for general use. I used their 10" chef knife professionally for a decade before I upgraded to japanese knives.

Old hickory knives have gone downhill a lot in my lifetime, but you can still buy pretty much any of their patterns for under $20 if you want a cheap carbon knife to mess around with. Their geometry is atrocious so expect to reprofile before use.

Tramontina out of Brazil makes a range of cheap kitchen knives with good performance for the price point. I have a boning knife and santoku from them with white plastic handles that ran about $10 each.

The knife I personally recommend people start with when wanting to dip their toes into higher quality cutlery without spending a lot is a $40 VG10 Santoku from Tojiro of Japan. https://japan-knifeshop.com/products/to ... 70mm-f-311 I have used mine extensively and have gifted many of them. Killer geometry, great ergos, stainless steel and a modest size mean anyone can pick it up and feel comfortable right away.