DLC Maxamet?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Josh Crutchley

DLC Maxamet?

Post by Josh Crutchley »

Would anyone be interested in Maxamet with DLC? It seems I can't carry it without small black spots showing up after a few hours. Bar keepers friend takes off most of what's visible but it always shows back up. My PM2 hasn't spotted since I polished it so I may have to go that route with the Manix 2.
Fly Fishing Rick

Re: DLC Maxamet?

Post by Fly Fishing Rick »

I haven't had any trouble at all with my Sage 1 and am really enjoying the patina it's forming, strange that you're having trouble.
-Jimmy
weeping minora

Post by weeping minora »

Not really interested in DLC-coated blades myself, however the "small black spots showing up" caught my attention. I have found in my carry of the Native 5, Maxamet forms this type of rusting no matter how I treat the blade. Black rust is supposedly caused from an environment with limited oxygen and low moisture.. I coat all of my stainable blades in mineral oil (and oftentimes, stainless blades, too) and Maxamet is the only steel so far in my carry that corrodes in this manner. It seems to cling longer, or more stubbornly, even after a BKF scrub than the typical brown or red rust on other low Cr steels, including brown or red rust on Maxamet itself, in my experience. It begs the idea that perhaps the, in my case, mineral oil coating is not allowing oxygen to reach the surface to mitigate this type of corrosion; which makes me wonder if coating the blade would do much good to prevent any corrosion under the DLC coating.

Then there's the cost.

FWIW, my Maxamet Sage has no such issues with this corrosiveness; which could either mean the stonewashing of the N5 is a potential suspect, and/or the heat-treatment.
Make Knife Grinds Thin Again.
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

Off work. I carry usually in my knives in my waistband and the k390 endura regularly patinas and gets corrosion but it gets so much use that the corrosion does not last long. With these non stainless tool steels, I would love DLC especially if it is on a fairly polished steel as a means of preventing rust from getting a foothold. I know DLC is not impervious, but it helps. I have not yet carried my DLC M4 Shaman enough to speak anecdotally on it but it seems to keep rust at bay. I want to see DLC become more common with these high performance non stainless steels.
:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
WilliamMunny

Post by WilliamMunny »

Fireman wrote:
Sat Sep 24, 2022 12:41 am
Off work. I carry usually in my knives in my waistband and the k390 endura regularly patinas and gets corrosion but it gets so much use that the corrosion does not last long. With these non stainless tool steels, I would love DLC especially if it is on a fairly polished steel as a means of preventing rust from getting a foothold. I know DLC is not impervious, but it helps. I have not yet carried my DLC M4 Shaman enough to speak anecdotally on it but it seems to keep rust at bay. I want to see DLC become more common with these high performance non stainless steels.
I don’t like DLC generally but a DLC 10V is on my buy list. I don’t want to always worry about rust on some of these tool steels.
Endura AUS-8, Manix 2 S30V, Alcyone BD1N, PM2 Micarta Cruwear, Native 5 Maxamet (2nd), Para 3 Maxamet (2nd), Magnacut Mule, Z-Wear Mule, BBB 15V Manix 2, REC PM3 10V Satin, Dragonfly Salt 2, GB2 M4.
rycen

Post by rycen »

DLC does not itself help prevent corrosion. It is porous.
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

rycen wrote:
Sat Sep 24, 2022 6:29 am
And it makes it almost impossible to get to the corrosion to clean it off. At least the black oxidation is close to the same color so it doesn't trigger your OCD while the pits are forming.

Stonewash finish is great for starting corrosion, by the way. On a microscopic level it is Colorado next to Kansas compared to a polished surface. Lots of places to trap moisture and other things that can lead to corrosion. Lots of extra surface area exposed to the elements.
phaust

Post by phaust »

rycen wrote:
True, but going off your "itself" qualifier, because it is porous, it holds oil well and thereby helps prevent corrosion.
Rymanz

Post by Rymanz »

phaust wrote:
Sat Sep 24, 2022 11:15 am
rycen wrote:
True, but going off your "itself" qualifier, because it is porous, it holds oil well and thereby helps prevent corrosion.
That's assuming the individual continues to oil the blade. Which they might not if they think the DLC is what is inhibiting rust.
:bug-red
Models: PM2, Endura 4, Chaparral, Para 3 LW, Rescue 3, Para 3, Shaman, Manix 2, Native 5
Steels: Elmax, S30V, XHP, 4V, VG-10, CPM CRU-WEAR, K390, Z-WEAR, S45VN, 204P, REX 45
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

rycen wrote:
What % of steel is left exposed with DLC coatings?