Aftermarket scales for Native 5 LW

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JRinFL

Aftermarket scales for Native 5 LW

Post by JRinFL »

I just installed some aftermarket scales (Honest Builds - Etsy) on my Native 5 LW Salt. These ones are almost perfect, except for the portion just behind the lock release. They seem to be just a little low in that spot. Also, it only has clip holes + inserts for right side tip up. Otherwise, a very good 3d model from the maker. I'll have to send some constructive criticism so they can tweak their model.

Also note, the inserts are likely not Salt rated, so don't do what I did and convert a Salt model if you really need full corrosion resistance.
Screen Shot 2022-09-22 at 11.17.41 AM.jpg
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Josh Crutchley

Re: Aftermarket scales for Native 5 LW

Post by Josh Crutchley »

JRinFL wrote:
Thu Sep 22, 2022 9:24 am
I just installed some aftermarket scales (Honest Builds - Etsy) on my Native 5 LW Salt. These ones are almost perfect, except for the portion just behind the lock release. They seem to be just a little low in that spot. Also, it only has clip holes + inserts for right side tip up. Otherwise, a very good 3d model from the maker. I'll have to send some constructive criticism so they can tweak their model.

Also note, the inserts are likely not Salt rated, so don't do what I did and convert a Salt model if you really need full corrosion resistance.

Looks good! I like that they added the ridges to the backspacer area.
petz462

Post by petz462 »

Josh Crutchley wrote:
Thu Sep 22, 2022 12:54 pm
JRinFL wrote:
Thu Sep 22, 2022 9:24 am

Looks good! I like that they added the ridges to the backspacer area.

Agree, looking good! And the seller has plenty of color options.
Dave
USAF Retired
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

I should have taken pictures while it was apart. They did a nice job on the model and it needs only a minor tweak.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
infinkc

Post by infinkc »

Wow, nice to see someone finally making scales for the native.
Toucan

Post by Toucan »

I've been thinking about getting some yojimbo scales from that seller. The glittery glow-in-the-dark and the translucent purple look really good.

I don't think I would use 3d printed scales on a liner-less model unless there has been some giant leap in the materials that can be printed.