Gayle Bradley - 5 Year review

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Zenith

Re: Gayle Bradley - 5 Year review

Post by Zenith »

Ti Rod Tactical wrote:
Zenith wrote:
Ti Rod Tactical wrote:I was curious if your detent ball has flattened off over 5 years of use?

Did you take it apart and loosen the tension against the blade by over bending it a bit? The reason I ask is when mine arrived, the tension was noticeably lower than my other two unused GBs, and the lockup seemed OK and looked in a more normal range.

Anyway, I'm actually kind of impressed you can middle finger flip this model so easily,....so did you loosen the pivot screw and lockbar tension to be able to do that? Just really curious... :)

Nice knife you have there.

I will have to check the detent ball for you if it has flattened at all but I have not taken this knife apart at all, so still stock standard, except the reground blade, as from the factory.
Thanks,...but you can actually see the detent ball roundness or flatness from the side in good light, possibly with a little magnification depending on your eyesite without taking the knife apart.

Also, did you loosen the lockbar tension and pivot screw to be able to flip it so easily, and is there play when open adjusted like that?
I checked the detent ball. Yes it has flatten slightly, but not to the point were I feel it is an issue. I would say it still has 80% of the ball left. If it becomes an issue I will drill it out and replace it with a ceramic detent ball. Have more than enough here.

To answer your question on the lockbar tension and pivot. I have never taken the knife apart. I have not touched the pivot, lockbar, not even the clip has seen a torx screwdriver. The only thing I have altered is to thin out the main hollow.

I dont know why I am able to open and close it like that, people complain about the lock tension, but for me it is fine. Maybe I just have strong digits? :o :p
Ti Rod Tactical

Post by Ti Rod Tactical »

Thanks for the info, and I suspected your detent ball had worn noticeably, as my well used example had also before I bought it on ebay. The lockbar tension on this model is the highest I've come across so far, at least at the usual "factory setting".

By that I mean when I took a brand new one apart (not the one shown in my earlier post), ...when I removed the blade and put the liners together fully resting on the standoffs, the lockbar want ALL the way over to touch the opposite liner! This of course had the very strong lockbar feel so often talked about.

However, on my well used GB1 shown previously in this tread, the lockbar tension was noticeably lower when I received it. When I first disassembled it, I did the same quick test and with the blade OUT, I mounted the liners on the standoffs and the lockbar only went over about HALF what my new GB1 did! I carefully bent the lockbar over to get more tension on it, and I also noticed when assembled that although the tension was much like my new example, the lockup was not a bit further up to about 75-80%.

I suspect the previous owner weakened the lockbar adjustment as the lockface wore a little decreasing the space between liners when opening. I solved that issue with the now stronger lockup tension by modding the access window often seen on this model.

The previous owner was not one to spend much effort in regular maintenance either, as where the PB washers lay on the liners there was quite a layer of red dried on grease remnants, that I used paint thinner to remove. Without regular cleaning and lubrication, it was no surprise for the wear of my detent ball and lock face. The moly paste I use at those locations should vastly reduce further wear, at least that's the idea.

I never noticed any blade movement prior to adjusting the lockbar tension to the same level as my new one, but then I didn't use it heavily in the day or two I owned it before deciding to do an initial clean and relube. I doubt with a weakly adjusted lockbar it would not have been at it's best if I had used it in any heavy duty cutting, but I'll never know as I made the heavier adjustment to the lockbar once I saw the difference compared to the new one.

Anyway, I suspect I "might" have been able to "flip" that well used knife had I worked on my technique, especially if I had adjusted the pivot tension screw to a lower level. However, I prefer a smooth thump initiated spydie hole "old school" opening, so I probably use a slightly tighter pivot than what a flipper opening knife user might benefit from.

At the very least, check your pivot to see if the screw has loosened a little as you make that look WAY too easy! :cool: You are either way talented at the finger flick opening technique with really strong fingers,...or the pivot screw tension and or lockbar tension adjustment is a little lower than most? :)

Either way,...I'm a bit envious of your "style"! :D
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Great review. The several years after purchasing reviews are always a lot more interesting compared to the pre release ones.
I myself try not to touch knives at all unless a issue arises. ( and many knives I have, have never been taken apart or even had a screw turned )
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
Strider

Post by Strider »

Just got a NIB GB1 today. That video made me excited to see how mine will look in five years.
SharpieB

Post by SharpieB »

Strider wrote:Just got a NIB GB1 today. That video made me excited to see how mine will look in five years.
5 years? My Gayle Bradley (2) looked like that after two weeks. :eek:

M4 steel and Margaritas don’t mix. If you want patina, cut a few limes and a pastrami sammich with extra mustard. ;)

P.s. congrats on the GB1. I’m hoping to get one before they are gone.
Hopsbreath

Post by Hopsbreath »

Strider wrote:Just got a NIB GB1 today. That video made me excited to see how mine will look in five years.
Ha, this video made me regret selling my GB1 and pushed me to get a new one a few weeks ago. Scored one for $116—such a great value.
spy4life

Post by spy4life »

Hopsbreath wrote:
Ha, this video made me regret selling my GB1 and pushed me to get a new one a few weeks ago. Scored one for $116—such a great value.
Where did you managed to find new one at that price? I’ll buy 2nd GB1 for that price!
~spy4life~

Collections: GB1, GB2, Dice, Urban-K390, Positron-S35VN, Sliverax, Southard brown&blk, CS Native 5 S90V, KW Military S90V Carbon/Ti
Hopsbreath

Post by Hopsbreath »

spy4life wrote:
Hopsbreath wrote:
Where did you managed to find new one at that price? I’ll buy 2nd GB1 for that price!
Ebay has some deals if you’re patient. The one I got came from a guy with “2” feedback, pics were blurry, limited description, and no box or paperwork. It was a perfect knife though, never been used and as good centering/lockup as can be expected. Haven’t heard of a fake GB1 so I went for it and there’s no mistaking I got the real deal.
KJKeyserSoze

Post by KJKeyserSoze »

Finally scored one BNIB new old stock in my country. Yay! First m4 steel but it’s hot and humid in Asia so gotta take care of non-stainless steels. Wonder if I can find a Bradley air next...
standy99

Post by standy99 »

This review needs a bump
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
vilePossum

Post by vilePossum »

I'll have to watch it later, but both GB are awesome knives, I sold all I had though because I don't want to bother to keep the rust free.
capt.carl

Post by capt.carl »

I hope they sprint the GB1 one day, would love to try it out
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

This thread needs more pictures!

The Gayle Bradley was my third Spyderco, and is just over 10 years old. It has been sharpened a few times, but is honestly only barely broken in. This is the “problem” of having too many knives!

I agree about the amazingly tough clip finish. I would gladly pay more money to have this clip as an option instead of the painted black clips that wear from day 1.

Edit: My detent-ball has worn a flat spot, but it has not affected the action enough that I really noticed before checking.

Any more pictures of well-used Bradleys?
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

Zenith wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:35 am
Below some thoughts on the Gayle Bradley 1 after 5 years of use.
How about a 10 year update Zenith ?
Hans

zenith2

Post by zenith2 »

Brock O Lee wrote:
Fri Sep 16, 2022 7:46 pm
Zenith wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:35 am
Below some thoughts on the Gayle Bradley 1 after 5 years of use.
How about a 10 year update Zenith ?
Lost my login details but here is a quick update.

The knife has had no issues. Its been mainly used in the garage making other knives over the last few years.

Clip still looks good as well as the lockup.

Matus

Post by Matus »

Awesome, so few knives get to be used this properly.
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
Donut

Post by Donut »

Nice review Zenith. That's a nice looking knife.

I always enjoy the photos you take of you using your knives.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

I had a 2, and it was a fantastic knife. I'm sure the 1 was as well. I wonder how much they would be if they were made currently.
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

zenith2 wrote:
Tue Sep 20, 2022 12:41 pm
...here is a quick update.
Thanks for a 10 year update! It's fantastic to see it in such good shape and still being used after a decade! :smiling-heart-eyes
Hans

R100

Post by R100 »

This one has seen plenty of use. Its time in the tropics have lead to a few rust spots and a few scars but it is hard to fault as a heavy duty cutter. A GB1 is a fairly heavy knife in lightweight work pants so I used to carry it in a belt pouch with the clip removed but I have gone back to clipped carry now. As others have said, the durability of the clip finish is amazing.

When I look at the photos I am reminded how well rust actually does clean off M4. It has looked pretty bad at times.

Dan