Learning Martial Arts At Home

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Scandi Grind

Learning Martial Arts At Home

Post by Scandi Grind »

I have always believed in learning a good basic set of martial arts skills but have never dedicated enough time to it, partially because I felt I couldn't spend enough time to get good at a large variety of skills. I wanted to get back into martial arts though, so I have been developing the mentality I plan on going at learning with.

I read this great article by David Bahde answering the question of how often you should practice shooting that has helped me fashion my mindset. Many people will throw hours a week at you, or other numbers that you "should" practice, but some people just don't have the time to develop broad skill sets in a not oft used discipline. David Bahde's answer for how much to practice was simple; as much as you can. Even if that is just a little time every week, or even every two weeks. What you don't want to do is not practice at all because you know that you won't be able to practice the X amount of hours some random person told you that you "should."

I've applied a similar idea to what variety of martial arts skills I want to learn, and how I learn them. Rather than try to practice many skills, I am narrowing it down to a few fundamentals that I think are most important, then I can actually become proficient at those skills with my limited time to practice in a week. I think it is more important to have a basic skill set I can use well and quickly, than a larger skill set that I lack proficiency in. The goal is to know a proper way to respond to a defensive situation, not to become a martial arts master.

I have to learn everything out of my own home, I don't have any martial arts instructors near me that have a reputation I trust, and I don't have the time or money to utilize one. I have found a resource for learning my preferred first martial art, Ju Jit-su, which is the Gracie Training Academy online video series. I like Ju Jit-su because I am small framed and it can give me an edge over larger opponents. Also in today's world, we are finding that the court case following a defensive scenario can be quite unfair to those who defend themselves, and for that reason I enjoy that Ju Jit-su gives me more control over the damage I do to an aggressor.

However, outside of Ju Jit-su, I have no idea where to go for good learning resources for learning at home. What I am looking for is a good foundation in unarmed striking and defence, of what type, I am still uncertain and in need of opinions. I also want a basic understanding of knife fighting. Again, I am looking for good foundational skills in these areas, things that will allow me to have a reaction plan in a defensive scenario, and react quickly, but it doesn't need to progress to a high level of advancement.

Essentially, that was a very roundabout way to say that I want to get back into martial arts, I am developing basic skills in Ju Jit-su, and am wondering if any one has advice on learning un-armed fighting techniques, and knife fighting skills at home. I have heard of Krav Magah, (might have spelled that wrong) but don't know much about it, so any feedback is welcome from those who are more knowledgeable on what are good martial arts skills to pursue.
"A knifeless man is a lifeless man."

-- Old Norse proverb
Bloke

Re: Learning Martial Arts At Home

Post by Bloke »

Scandi Grind wrote:
Sun Sep 18, 2022 8:11 pm
I have found a resource for learning my preferred first martial art
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Takuan

Post by Takuan »

I’d recommend checking out Burton Richardson’s Jeet Kune Do Unlimited organization (https://jkdunlimited.com). I’ve been training with him since 1999 (mainly in Jeet Kune Do and Jiu-Jitsu, though I’ve studied some Kali, Silat, and Krav Maga with him, too). My training with him was mostly in person (when I lived in Hawaii), but he has some excellent distance-learning programs for people who can’t train in person, and I own most of his DVD sets. Burton’s Jiu-Jitsu program is good because it is influenced by his JKD, Kali, Muay Thai, and Krav Maga background, so it is well rounded and practical. If you’re interested in knife fighting, Burton’s Battlefield Kali knife program is excellent.
"We cannot live better than in seeking to become better."
--Socrates
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Look up Master Kirk McCune on Facebook from Bahala Na and see if he teaches via live streaming. It would be a good investment.

I am 62 and haven't practiced what I've learned while dabbling in at least 10 martial arts for a decade, yet when pressed into service on the street in an altercation, I was fine and did everything expected of me.

I have quite a few DVDs and videos that I could be practicing right now if I could find a partner. I made the offer to train one guy, then backed out. It is a huge responsibility and I do not want my name splashed all over the place for having trained some wackjob.

Without any martial arts training from a graduate of a system or a master of a system, I'd say it is almost impossible to become a martial artist. Almost. #1 it could be dangerous. #2 you or your partner could get hurt.

If you want to learn escrima/arnis and do not have a qualified teacher, buy 4 rattan sticks that are 28 inches in length, buy 10 used blowout tires, and a wave-bag, and have at it with some videos. I highly suggest Bahala Na DVDs from EM3 Videos. Bahala Na was a fundamental art to me. The other fundamental Filipino art, Cabales Serrada Escrima, do not have entry level videos, they would be too fast for you to pick things up. I'll provide the link to the Cabales videos below too so that you can look at them, but the Bahala Na videos are very slow and progressive, very good to learn from.

There are a ton of videos out there and there are other good instructors, but you may want to know some fundamentals of where the arts come from and what those fundamental moves are.

Bahala Na Videos
https://em3video.com/giron-escrima-by-t ... -discount/

Cabales Videos by Tibon
https://em3video.com/serrada-escrima-3- ... ren-tibon/

Do NOT strike your partner with a rattan stick! Even lightly striking someone may hurt.

Take the wave-bag and the tires and beat the living stink out of them for 30 seconds non stop.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

I have been involved in martial arts video training since it became a thing back in the 1980's. I've been on both sides of the camera and ran Paladin Press' Video Production Department for 10 years, shooting and editing more than 100 full-length instructional videos. I have also learned effectively from videos--often despite the quality of the instruction.

In my opinion, learning from video is determined primarily by your analytical and observational skills. People tend to be either auditory learners (they respond to well-worded instructions), visual learners (they have the ability to mimic an instructor's motion), or kinesthetic learners (they must "feel" the right movement and typically have to be "posed" in place). If a video has poor verbal instruction, auditory learners don't do well. Visual learners have the best chance of success. Kinesthetic learners are basically screwed.

Stick with a simple, practical skill set and learn to use training devices (like striking bags, training dummies, and other targets) that provide appropriate reference points to develop those skills. For example, I am not a fan of BOB targets (rubber torso and head) because they don't have arms. Learning to parry or block an attack requires an appropriate reference surface.

My advice would be to find something you want to learn, invest in traveling to a seminar, learn what you can with the benefit of hands-on instruction, and then train on your own to reinforce that learning.

Stay safe,

Mike
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

Scandi Grind wrote:
Sun Sep 18, 2022 8:11 pm
have never dedicated enough time to it,

I don't have any martial arts instructors near me that have a reputation I trust,

I don't have the time or money to utilize one.

There's nothing wrong with reading books and watching videos. But don't delude yourself into believing that punching a bag and waving a training knife in the air is going to develop any degree of competency.

You can't become a race car driver by watching "The Fast and the Furious." You can't open a Michelin rated restaurant by watching "****'s Kitchen." And you can't learn to play guitar by watching Metallica videos. To get good at something, you have to get out there and do it.

If you're not willing to dedicate time and sweat toward your goal, don't even bother.

Your first step is to find an experienced teacher who has a "reputation you trust." You'll have to pay him. And it will take a lot of time. And you'll have to work with other students... a lot.

Only by "doing it" will you see how awful you are.
Then you'll work even harder... and still do badly... but less bad than before.

After a long, long time, you might start becoming competent. From there, you can learn.

Scandi Grind

Post by Scandi Grind »

I appreciate the input Rusty, although I think I can respectfully disagree on a certain level. There are some things that I simply won't be able to do, my life doesn't allow the luxury of spending my time however I wish, and martial arts are not the most prevalent skill that I have to invest in. I am certainly willing to put effort into properly learning, just within my given limitations. I don't want to shut myself down on learning anything at all, merely because I can't learn by using the most optimal methods.

I was previously fortunate to have a few people to spar with, at least for Ju Jit-su, but they are on the same skill level as I am. My two brothers and Dad used to practice together and that is how we learned. I hope that at least a couple of the three of them will want to keep up with me now as I start learning again.

Thanks for the input so far folks.

-- Old Norse proverb
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

Scandi Grind wrote:
Mon Sep 19, 2022 1:36 pm
My two brothers and Dad used to practice together and that is how we learned. I hope that at least a couple of the three of them will want to keep up with me now as I start learning again.

That's great. Having enthusiastic partners is key to learning and having fun.

Here's one hint I have for you. It applies to all martial arts, but most instructors try to keep it a secret: shoes. Always wear comfortable, well-fitting shoes. They're the foundation of a solid survival strategy.

Hypothetical Scenario: Probably the most talented blade handler following this thread is Mike J., so we'll use him as an example. It's nothing personal, and in no way intended to besmirch his stellar character. And I could very well be the least talented, so I'll be the other example. Now suppose I'm stumbling through the alley late at night, and out from behind a dumpster jumps Mike. He whips out his Yojumbo with the razor sharp CPM S30V blade, and yells, "Gimme all your money, fool!" I'm livid that he would level such mean accusations regarding my intellect. He shouldn't say such things because he doesn't even know me. What should I do? In my left pocket is a wadded up five dollar bill. In my right pocket is a Police 4 with a neglected but serviceable K390 blade. What's my strategy to emerge victorious?

Correct Answer: I reply, "Yes, sir. Please don't hurt me." I slowly reach into the left pocket, withdraw the five spot, and toss it on the ground in front of him as I turn and run like the wind. My footwear foresight allows me to put ten yards between us before he even knows what's happening. In the blink of an eye I round the corner and vanish into the streets. Safe again...

Summary: Wear good shoes and know when to put them to use.

Scandi Grind

Post by Scandi Grind »

True words that! When running is ever an option, it should be used. That is what the majority of what my defense preparedness has involved up to this point, situational awareness and putting myself in the proper positions to retreat if danger does present itself.

-- Old Norse proverb
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

tmacs instagram is what you seek. Boxing 1-2 jab cross and teep kick practiced from knee cap to chest level. All from “the fence”. Three techniques.
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

A little tiny Chicago legal folder saved my tail one evening on the South Side of Chicago. 4 to 5 guys were kicking and swinging at me and all that I did was draw the knife to my hip, keep it there, and yell, "Knife!" and they let me walk away.

I got tired of running from problems when I was a teen. It seems that running brings out the predators. They love chasing you down and beating you, and I was beaten up hundreds of times from 5th grade to senior year in high school. I had PTSD just from my teenage years.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/