Paramilitary 1 scales

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
HunterRyngo2

Paramilitary 1 scales

Post by HunterRyngo2 »

Hi All,

I just found and bought one of my grails, an original Paramilitary 1.
It is in used condition, but still nice, although the hump at the end of the scales was ground down.
I would much more prefer the original design with the hump, so I was thinking is there a source where I can get replacement scales?
I looked at the usual places, but I did not find any afermarket solution.

Thanks,
Peter
sal

Re: Paramilitary 1 scales

Post by sal »

Hi Peter,

Welcome to our forum.

That's a pretty old model. The Compression lock was fairly new then. I invented the lock because I needed a lock for Bram's Gunting (I Invented the lock on demand). The Para 1 was one of the earlier uses on one of my designs. The Eric redesigned the Para 1 and created the Para 2 which was a significant improvement and one of our most popular designs.

I always thought it a shame when someone decides to modify a design, by grinding off something only to find out later that the original pattern had purpose. I don't know where you might find an old scale. I'll check with Charlynn and see if she has any old Para 1 scales lang around.

sal
HunterRyngo2

Post by HunterRyngo2 »

sal wrote:
Fri Sep 16, 2022 2:48 pm
Hi Peter,

Welcome to our forum.

I'll check with Charlynn and see if she has any old Para 1 scales lang around.

sal
Thank you Sal, it would be much appreciated.

I love my Para 2s, but somehow the original design feels closer to my heart. You did an excellent job designing it back then.

Peter
HunterRyngo2

Post by HunterRyngo2 »

Double tap
Xformer

Post by Xformer »

You can also ask one of the many custom g10 scale artisan around the web to make some for you. If you live in the US it's even easier to find someone. You can find a bunch on instagram, or just googling it. Should run you about 100$ for a pair though, maybe less.

Can't vouch for him but here's an example : https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... UpvUA1Mqox

Just type "instagram custom g10 paramilitary 2" and you'll find plenty. You'll probably need to send them your knife so they can reproduce the scale 1:1.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I don't recall seeing custom scales even when this model was still in production, seems like that sort of thing was far more custom done back then and not something you can simply order from a website.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
HunterRyngo2

Post by HunterRyngo2 »

Evil D wrote:
Sat Sep 17, 2022 5:13 am
I don't recall seeing custom scales even when this model was still in production, seems like that sort of thing was far more custom done back then and not something you can simply order from a website.
That is the case it seems. If Sal could find one in the inventory somewhere that would be awesome. Otherwise I need to wait for another Para 1 to pop up on the secondary market for a reasonable price. It could take long, since I waited for this one 4,5years…
Giygas

Post by Giygas »

Xformer wrote:
Sat Sep 17, 2022 4:15 am
You can also ask one of the many custom g10 scale artisan around the web to make some for you. If you live in the US it's even easier to find someone. You can find a bunch on instagram, or just googling it. Should run you about 100$ for a pair though, maybe less.

Can't vouch for him but here's an example : https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... UpvUA1Mqox

Just type "instagram custom g10 paramilitary 2" and you'll find plenty. You'll probably need to send them your knife so they can reproduce the scale 1:1.
I would expect to pay quite a bit more than $100 for a one-off set of scales for a long discontinued model, especially one with nested liners.

Like David said, I don't even remember seeing aftermarket scales for the paramilitary 1 when it was in production.
Currently testing: M398, D3, SLD-Magic
Favorites: 10V, s90v
Wishlist: S290, Vancron, S125V, K890
18 Spydies, 15 steels
13 Maxace, 9 steels

https://instagram.com/cnyknifenut
https://youtube.com/@CNYKnifeNerd
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Peter,

Sorry, nothing on our end.

sal
HunterRyngo2

Post by HunterRyngo2 »

sal wrote:
Sat Sep 17, 2022 6:54 am
Hi Peter,

Sorry, nothing on our end.

sal
It’s okay, thank you for trying to help.