Blurple - ing more Golden Models

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Re: Blurple - ing more Golden Models

Post by Doc Dan »

Jurmuscle wrote:
Fri Sep 16, 2022 2:45 pm
I would like to see it in a g10 Lil' Native.
Now your talking!
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

I’d personally like to see the Waterway offered in S110V with polished indigo g10 scales without the unnecessary checking.
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

Bloke wrote:
Sat Sep 17, 2022 12:15 am
I’d personally like to see the Waterway offered in S110V with polished indigo g10 scales without the unnecessary checking.
Hmmmmmmmmm, you may be on to something here. Coarse grit and let the carbides do the work. Almost salty. Nice fish worthy profile for beach carry. :winking-tongue
mpc2

Post by mpc2 »

1) I am quite happy that this topic has lured in so many "Oldtimers" of this forum,

2) I don´t know how I forgot to beg for a Native Chief in my original post. That would be even cooler than a Shaman. And far quicker to reprofile and sharpen.
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

I will admit, I have stayed away from S110V due to the higher Vanadium. I typically like like lower Vanadium steels that get that sticky sharp easily feel. I would definitely try some out in a Native Chief. And I like the Blurple.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

Lil Native LW in S110v would be cool ! I'm all for thinner blade stocks. Even if I like my G10 Lil'Native.

As for S110V I've reprofiled it without any particular hassle. But I've reprofiles Maxamet by lowering the angle of 3 to 4 degrees without being annoyed by the process. Maybe I'm weird.
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
Jurmuscle

Post by Jurmuscle »

Ramonade wrote:
Sat Sep 17, 2022 6:51 am
Lil Native LW in S110v would be cool ! I'm all for thinner blade stocks. Even if I like my G10 Lil'Native.

As for S110V I've reprofiled it without any particular hassle. But I've reprofiles Maxamet by lowering the angle of 3 to 4 degrees without being annoyed by the process. Maybe I'm weird.
What did you use. I'm thinking of getting a KME.
:usflag :bug-red :bug-white-red :usflag
If we spent as much time trying as we do doubting, we might have already accomplished it.

-Tom
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

Jurmuscle wrote:
Sat Sep 17, 2022 11:04 am
Ramonade wrote:
Sat Sep 17, 2022 6:51 am

As for S110V I've reprofiled it without any particular hassle. But I've reprofiled Maxamet by lowering the angle of 3 to 4 degrees without being annoyed by the process. Maybe I'm weird.
What did you use. I'm thinking of getting a KME.
KME with diamond stones should do just fine :) I used a fixed system too because really hard steel takes more passes (and I end up convexing my edges). I have the work sharp precision adjust with a custom stone holder for Venev diamond resin bonded stones !
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

Blurple is a really nice color, in my opinion and I’m liking the native, native chief, and waterway suggestions a lot!
Especially the waterway idea! It makes a ton of sense to go for s110v if you want a high edge retention version of the knife that is still very stainless and tough compared to m398. Although, and I’m going by Larrin’s article that was shared here, I might appreciate the apparently better sharpenability of m398 more than a little toughness. Larrin and I have different preferences lol
I’m also a fan of polished g10, but really just rooting for more variations of Spyderco’s fixed blades!
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
phaust

Post by phaust »

Love the color and the steel.

A Siren would be cool even if unlikely. S110v is the only non salt steel that Spyderco offers that I haven't had rust on me.
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

Good call on the siren too!
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

Years before Spyderco amazed us by offering S110V as a production steel on Golden models, they did a similar thing with ZDP-189 on Seki City models. In both cases Spyderco democratized a formerly rare blade steel by offering it on affordable models in regular production.
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

Only reason I don’t already have a S110V M2LW is the rumored/announced/predicted/anticipated screwed magnacut LW (don’t actually recall how far into that chain we’ve come atm).

A Lil’native LW sounds like a nice candidate for S110V as well. Would surely pick it over a black S30V, both in terms of steel and the color.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

This thread needs more eye candy.

All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Steeltoez83

Post by Steeltoez83 »

Ii think MagnaCut will cater to a larger audience. I haven't tested any production spyderco magnacut but I think it's a better option for spyderco to funnel its already stretched resources into.
"Nothing is built on stone; all is built on sand, but we must build as if the sand were stone."
Archimedes

Post by Archimedes »

S110V has become my favorite steel for folders. I carry my Blurple Military everyday. Best utility knife I have ever used.

I personally hate the Blurple. I wish they would do a run with black G10 or carbon fiber handles.

I would not buy either of those models because I am fine with my Military and ParaMil in S1110V.
attila

Post by attila »

Evil D wrote:
Sun Sep 18, 2022 10:06 am

Very nice! Did you do your own regrind?
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

attila wrote:
Fri Sep 23, 2022 8:59 am
Evil D wrote:

Oh no I wish I was that talented. Big Chris did it a few years ago before he got super busy making his own knives. The amazing thing is I asked him to leave the bevel intact as much as he could, and I'm all but certain I got it back with my edge still on it, and you can see the bevel is TINY. He's very precise with his grinding skill.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
attila

Post by attila »

Evil D wrote:
Fri Sep 23, 2022 9:02 am
attila wrote:
Fri Sep 23, 2022 8:59 am
Evil D wrote:

Oh no I wish I was that talented. Big Chris did it a few years ago before he got super busy making his own knives. The amazing thing is I asked him to leave the bevel intact as much as he could, and I'm all but certain I got it back with my edge still on it, and you can see the bevel is TINY. He's very precise with his grinding skill.
Thanks!

If I had the courage, I’d do that to my diamond-G10 Cru-wear Manix and maybe to my Rex 45 Military.
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5
zuludelta

Post by zuludelta »

You know, in contravention of my previous post in this thread, I would go for a blurple Yojimbo 2. S110V might, on the surface, be antithetical for the Yo2's SD-focused design, but considering how most people probably use their Yo2 primarily for box-cutting duty & other workaday knife tasks (I know I do), I think it might be a good blade steel/design match, and put the Yo2 more firmly in line with the other flagship Golden models.