What Spyderco folder would make a great fixed blade ?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
mikey177

Re: What Spyderco folder would make a great fixed blade ?

Post by mikey177 »

I'd be interested in a Spyderco Barong fixie, but with an 8-inch MagnaCut blade.
270ultimate

Post by 270ultimate »

Szabo Folder?

And not to hijack, but going the other way a folding Warrior...
yowzer

Post by yowzer »

mikey177 wrote:
Fri Sep 16, 2022 7:45 am
I'd be interested in a Spyderco Barong fixie, but with an 8-inch MagnaCut blade.
Came here to say the Barong, but you beat me to it. 8 inches is too big for my tastes though.

And a fixed blade edition of the Chokwe/Watu design. They're based on a traditional African fixed blade design already...
zuludelta

Post by zuludelta »

vivi wrote: Here I whipped up a little mock-up for you :cheap-sunglasses

Ha ha ha yeah, I'm aware of the Reverse, but they're pretty hard-to-find these days & are priced at a premium on the secondary market due to its brief production run.
Michael Janich wrote:
Fri Sep 16, 2022 6:48 am
As Vivi subtly pointed out, the Reverse was indeed a fixed-blade P'Kal, engineered so the handle could also be switched for edge-out use and still fit in the same sheath. The market never really embraced the concept and I feel strongly that the lack of a trainer limited its appeal among serious users.

Stay safe,

Mike
"Pikal"-based technique is a niche combatives/SD concept for sure, and the market for knives (folder or fixed-blade) optimized for RGEI is probably a very, very tiny fraction of the overall SD knife segment. The reintroduction of the Reverse or the introduction of a new RGEI-optimized Spyderco fixed-blade would be nice (if unrealistic given the market), but I'm just glad we have the P'kal & its trainer in the regular production line-up despite its limited commercial appeal.
kerrcobra

Post by kerrcobra »

Military. Hands down.
--Jeremy
Bdubs808

Post by Bdubs808 »

I've been wanting a fixed Military with a like 6 inch blade.
shunsui

Post by shunsui »

Been there, done that. Siren and Waterway.
I worry about you guys sometimes. :winking-tongue

rybu0305

Post by rybu0305 »

Astute
More CBBL please!
Delica 4 Brown, Manix 2 G10 S110V, Gayle Bradley 2, Manix 2 CF Cruwear, KC Endura HAP40 pakkawood, Sliverax, Kapara, Manix 2 Rex45, Manix 2 4v, Ivory Straight Stretch
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Well I hate to come across as being prejudice but being the newly released Sprint Run of the Spyderco C-60 Ayoob model ( folder) is having such excellent reviews from virtually all of us who have recently gotten one or two of them>> So then why not a fixed blade version of the Spyderco C-60 Ayoob folder????

A few years back when designer Massad Ayoob completed his design of the Spyderco C-60 model he also had a fixed blade model during that same time slot which sold through MOD ( Masters of Defense). It was known as the "Razorback" model.

Sorry to say that the Razorback never got anywhere near the fanfare that the Spyderco C-60 Ayoob folder got. And as great as the C-60 Ayoob folder was and still is I'm 99% sure that a fixed blade version of this Super-Classic would do quite well on the sales charts. I think it would even do quite well even in Spyderco's Salt Series. Actually I'm almost completely certain of it.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Shaman for sure, preferably with no choil.

I’d also love a Stretch 2 XL, again with no choil.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
T-1000

Post by T-1000 »

We need a fixed blade hawkbill salt, like a tasman. I would carry that thing everywhere.
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

JD Spydo wrote:
Sat Sep 17, 2022 9:53 am
A few years back when designer Massad Ayoob completed his design of the Spyderco C-60 model he also had a fixed blade model during that same time slot which sold through MOD ( Masters of Defense). It was known as the "Razorback" model.

Sorry to say that the Razorback never got anywhere near the fanfare that the Spyderco C-60 Ayoob folder got. And as great as the C-60 Ayoob folder was and still is I'm 99% sure that a fixed blade version of this Super-Classic would do quite well on the sales charts. I think it would even do quite well even in Spyderco's Salt Series. Actually I'm almost completely certain of it.

Hey, JD:

Actually, the Razorback came first. Mas designed it in 1997 and it was debuted with the other members of the original five designs in January 1998. The C60 was introduced in 2001.

As the only fixed blade in the original MOD line-up, the Razorback never did as well as the folders. From a production standpoint, it was also a challenge for us to find and keep good Kydex sheath makers. Interestingly, one of the audiences that really liked the Razorback was tactical medics. I worked closely with some of the docs from the International School of Tactical Medicine and they loved the design because it was perfect for putting in chest tubes. With their guidance, I modified the design to include depth indices at 1cm intervals at the tip for various medical procedures. I swapped the machined aluminum handle for molded FRN and named it the "Razorback-Trocar" (Trocar is the name of a surgical instrument used for draining fluid from the body cavity). I also designed a sheath for it that worked with the TCCS (Total Concealed Carry Solution) system that I created to be common to the Kalista, Kalista II, Crucible FX, and Crucible FX 2.

https://www.bladehq.com/item--Blackhawk-Razorback--4364

As all that was happening, BlackHawk's management was prepping the company to be sold to ATK. Without warning, they pulled the rug out from under the knife brands (and other divisions of the company) to create the illusion of profitability. As such, the Trocar--and most other BlackHawk Blades knives--never got the marketing they deserved or needed to be successful.

Stay safe,

Mike
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

JD Spydo wrote:
Sat Sep 17, 2022 9:53 am
Well I hate to come across as being prejudice but being the newly released Sprint Run of the Spyderco C-60 Ayoob model ( folder) is having such excellent reviews from virtually all of us who have recently gotten one or two of them>> So then why not a fixed blade version of the Spyderco C-60 Ayoob folder????

I mentioned the Ayoob further up, but I also requested a longer blade since the blade would no longer need to be shorter than the handle.The design already reminds me of a Saber design I saw once. Similar angle to the blade, likely for the same reasons.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Christian_Samurai_Outlaw

Post by Christian_Samurai_Outlaw »

This disability/retired LEO would love to have a Reverse. I can't run away when trouble shows up. Have to rely on CQB
Humbled & Honored.
Amor Fati. It is what it is.
Philosopher Warrior
Disabled LEO
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

legOFwhat? wrote:
Wed Sep 14, 2022 11:46 am
Native Chief would be fantastic!
I'd like the Native Chief fixed blade too. Make it a 4.5 inch S30V or better and I'd buy 2.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

vivi wrote:
Thu Sep 15, 2022 7:11 am
I'd buy a Ronin 2 in better steel.

I know. I'm spoiled! :smlling-eyes
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/