What Spyderco folder would make a great fixed blade ?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Xformer

What Spyderco folder would make a great fixed blade ?

Post by Xformer »

Some companies recently released fixed blade version of their popular folders. It made me wonder what Spyderco folder knife would be very good as a fixed blade knife.

To me, one of the best would be the Spyderco Native and the Native 5. Their ergo are really similar to what you can usually see in fixed blades. They're hefty enough and don't roll in the hand.
Mushroom

Re: What Spyderco folder would make a great fixed blade ?

Post by Mushroom »

Folders and fixed blades are designed differently. Fixed blades can be sheathed and are not restrained to needing to fit into the handle. There are inherent limitations when designing a folder as opposed to a fixed blade.

With that said, if I were to take a folder and translate it into a fixed blade, I don’t think it should be a direct design translation. I think the fixed blade version should take advantage of having less design restraint.

———

This topic has come up a couple times in the past but the first knife that comes to mind for me is the Shaman. I think the handle would already work great for a fixed blade but the blade size could be increased and it would be a really great outdoors fixed blade, in my opinion.

Another one I think would be a good fixed blade is the Kiwi 4 with the same design principle applied, same or nearly the same handle with a slightly larger blade could make a great little neck knife. Someone else mentioned this in the past on here too and I made a quick sketchy mock-up to visualize it better.

-Nick :bug-red
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Without a doubt the Shaman.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

Native Chief would be fantastic!
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i'd love to have a rounded manix handle with a wsk style blade. i'll see if i can do a mockup later. i think it would be an outstanding outdoors tool.

a brouwer would make an excellent small fixed blade for small carving work as well.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

I would like to see an Amalgam in a fixed blade.

- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

JSumm wrote:
Wed Sep 14, 2022 12:38 pm
I would like to see an Amalgam in a fixed blade.

Absolutely ! Dan
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Teddy0215

Post by Teddy0215 »

Native Chief and Shaman get my vote
Slightly obsessed…
vivi

Post by vivi »

Mushroom wrote:
Wed Sep 14, 2022 11:14 am
Folders and fixed blades are designed differently. Fixed blades can be sheathed and are not restrained to needing to fit into the handle. There are inherent limitations when designing a folder as opposed to a fixed blade.
quoted for truth.
:unicorn
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Chaparral for that thin stock
Tristan_david2001

Post by Tristan_david2001 »

Mushroom wrote:
Wed Sep 14, 2022 11:14 am

With that said, if I were to take a folder and translate it into a fixed blade, I don’t think it should be a direct design translation. I think the fixed blade version should take advantage of having less design restraint.

———

This topic has come up a couple times in the past but the first knife that comes to mind for me is the Shaman. I think the handle would already work great for a fixed blade but the blade size could be increased and it would be a really great outdoors fixed blade, in my opinion.

Another one I think would be a good fixed blade is the Kiwi 4 with the same design principle applied, same or nearly the same handle with a slightly larger blade could make a great little neck knife. Someone else mentioned this in the past on here too and I made a quick sketchy mock-up to visualize it better.

I agree here as well, folding knives in general are very refined to correspond and fit into their handle shapes. But interesting question op. Obviously spydercos folders have the actual useable sized opening hole, but pretending it doesn’t have one, I think the folding knife model designs that give the most edc fixed blade vibe from spyderco are like the Caribbean, tenacious, and maybe stretch xl.
:bug-red-white
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

I've always liked the idea of paired fixed blade and folder designs. When I was with BlackHawk, Kelly McCann was trying to make that happen with a fixed blade he had made by custom maker Ed Chavar. I took that and ultimately created the Crucible and Crucible FX folder and fixed blade, as well as a folding trainer.

The Ronin 2 was based on a fixed-blade expression of the Yojimbo 2, originally made by custom maker Mickey Yurco.

I think the Dragonfly would make a great platform for a neck knife--especially if designed from the ground up with a good sheath.

Stay safe,

Mike
vivi

Post by vivi »

Michael Janich wrote:
Thu Sep 15, 2022 7:02 am

The Ronin 2 was based on a fixed-blade expression of the Yojimbo 2, originally made by custom maker Mickey Yurco.
And even in this case, there are a wealth of differences.

- Ronin 2 has a longer blade.
- The "horn" above the spyderhole is rounded on the Ronin.
- The Ronin 2 scales have much better contouring on the corners.
- The Ronin has a slimmer handle, with no gaps or lock cut-outs or clips.
- Every iteration of the Ronin 2 uses a steel never used in any Yojimbo.
- The Ronin 2 has a deeper guard that sticks out further from the cutting edge.
- The space between the start of the cutting edge and the edge of the main grip is signiticantly reduced on the Ronin 2.
- The rear end of the handle has a different shape between the two.

etc.

These little details make the Ronin 2 a much better knife than if it were a 1:1 copy of the Yojimbo 2's profile.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

I would say the Ayoob, but with a longer blade in fixed blade form.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I've got to agree with the Shaman, the first time I held it one of the first things that crossed my mind was "this feels like a folding fixed blade" I still stand by those thoughts today...as I have a Shaman in my pocket.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
zuludelta

Post by zuludelta »

Michael Janich wrote:
I've always liked the idea of paired fixed blade and folder designs. When I was with BlackHawk, Kelly McCann was trying to make that happen with a fixed blade he had made by custom maker Ed Chavar. I took that and ultimately created the Crucible and Crucible FX folder and fixed blade, as well as a folding trainer.

I think the Dragonfly would make a great platform for a neck knife--especially if designed from the ground up with a good sheath.

Stay safe,

Mike
I remember trying to chase down the Crucible, Crucible FX, and Crucible trainer years ago. I never got around to completing the trio, but having the Yojimbo 2, Ronin 2 & the Yojimbo 2 trainer has filled that gap.

I'd always been intrigued by the idea of paired fixed-blades & folders (and trainers)... it may hold limited general appeal based on the responses in this thread, but from a combatives perspective, I think it makes a lot of sense to have a person's drilled fine motor skills be immediately & intuitively transferrable between weapons platforms. I'd love to see a fixed-blade version of the P'kal, to go with the folder & the trainer. It would probably go the Ronin 2 route as far as execution, with a slimmer front to back profile than the folder. And it would obviously have no need for the removable wave opener. (And yeah, I know the Spyderco Reverse is sort of a fixed-blade P'kal, but it's a discontinued model & can be difficult to find).

Besides the Yojimbo 2/Ronin 2 pairing, my other favourite folder/fixed blade pairs are the Siren/Waterway & the leaf-shaped blade version of the Caribbean/Jumpmaster 2 (I know the Caribbean isn't officially a folding version of the Jumpmaster 2, but hold both in hand & the shared design DNA becomes apparent).
vivi

Post by vivi »

zuludelta wrote:
Thu Sep 15, 2022 7:48 am
Michael Janich wrote:

Stay safe,

Mike
I remember trying to chase down the Crucible, Crucible FX, and Crucible trainer years ago. I never got around to completing the trio, but having the Yojimbo 2, Ronin 2 & the Yojimbo 2 trainer has filled that gap.

I'd always been intrigued by the idea of paired fixed-blades & folders (and trainers)... it may hold limited general appeal based on the responses in this thread, but from a combatives perspective, I think it makes a lot of sense to have a person's drilled fine motor skills be immediately & intuitively transferrable between weapons platforms. I'd love to see a fixed-blade version of the P'kal, to go with the folder & the trainer. It would probably go the Ronin 2 route as far as execution, with a slimmer front to back profile than the folder. And it would obviously have no need for the removable wave opener. (And yeah, I know the Spyderco Reverse is sort of a fixed-blade P'kal, but it's a discontinued model & can be difficult to find).

Besides the Yojimbo 2/Ronin 2 pairing, my other favourite folder/fixed blade pairs are the Siren/Waterway & the leaf-shaped blade version of the Caribbean/Jumpmaster 2 (I know the Caribbean isn't officially a folding version of the Jumpmaster 2, but hold both in hand & the shared design DNA becomes apparent).
Here I whipped up a little mock-up for you :cheap-sunglasses

James Y

Post by James Y »

Manix 2. But the fixed blade needs a longer blade relative to the handle, than the folder has.

Jim
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Centofante Memory
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

As Vivi subtly pointed out, the Reverse was indeed a fixed-blade P'Kal, engineered so the handle could also be switched for edge-out use and still fit in the same sheath. The market never really embraced the concept and I feel strongly that the lack of a trainer limited its appeal among serious users.

Stay safe,

Mike