Native 5 salt is Magnacut?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Enactive

Re: Native 5 salt is Magnacut?

Post by Enactive »

JRinFL wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 11:39 am
ZrowsN1s wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 10:25 am
I have to chuckle a little at the assertion that Shawn doesn't have any insight into Spyderco's Magnacut project.
Yeah, that is kind of hilarious.
Indeed!

IYKYK.
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

phaust wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 11:34 am
Ramonade wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 3:38 am
The announce was a bit early, but I'd rather wait 2 more years to have the best performance the steel has to offer, rather than just be disappointed !
Sal already said don't expect the best at release since that gets dialed in using customer feedback.

Not being released just delays that feedback loop.
Must have missed this. When Sal mentioned dialing through feedback, I thought he was talking about the MC Mule.
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
spoolboy

Post by spoolboy »

How bout now? lol
NJCutter

Post by NJCutter »

Just got mine in the mail today. It's a slicer!

I am not worried. It is Spyderco! Besides my Salt 2 wharncliffe in LC200N is serving edc duties like a champ!
Screenshot_20220914_182411.jpg
Takuan

Post by Takuan »

NJCutter wrote:
Wed Sep 14, 2022 4:24 pm
Just got mine in the mail today. It's a slicer!

I am not worried. It is Spyderco! Besides my Salt 2 wharncliffe in LC200N is serving edc duties like a champ!

Screenshot_20220914_182411.jpg
Nice! Are the kyber crystals covered by the warranty or are those considered “consumable parts”? :winking-tongue
"We cannot live better than in seeking to become better."
--Socrates
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Is that a Surefire?
salimoneus

Post by salimoneus »

Evil D wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 4:30 am
Doc Dan wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 3:45 am
Remember who's in charge, now. Remember this is the era of McD's getting successfully sued for many millions because the hot coffee was hot. If Spyderco told everything, somebody would definitely find a way to use it against them and sue. It would also give their competitors an unfair advantage because by Spyderco letting such things become common knowledge they would be doing their competitor's R&D for them.

If Sal or someone actually mentioned anything about heat treat concerns, it would be repeated until the end of time that this steel has heat treat problems and every time someone did a crappy job removing a burr and got chips in their edge or something like that it would be "wah this steel has poor heat treat". People already see one tabletop YouTuber make a claim about stuff like this and repeat it like it's the law, if someone official from Spyderco said it you may as well engrave it on the tang too.

Oh really?

sal wrote:
Fri Sep 02, 2022 8:09 am
We're still refining the heat treat on MagnaCut. It's sensitive to different heat treatment. We'd like to get it down before exporting the steel. Eventually, assuming the market likes it, we'll move the steel all over.

sal

I certainly appreciate all the loyalists attacking me for being a troll, simply for voicing reasonable concerns which have actually become reality. Anyway, at least we have some answers as to the reason behind the delays. Which I have absolutely no problem with, it's part of new product development. I'm still very much interested in trying Magnacut in a folder model, and have no doubt they will figure it all out in time.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

salimoneus wrote:
Sat Sep 17, 2022 10:49 am

Oh really?

Yes really, and time will tell after a few years of people repeating this same complaint. I'm not saying this as an opinion, it happens all the time and many steels have been branded with different BS issues like being brittle or chip prone and it doesn't matter how many people DONT have these issues because people will take a few comments or experiences as law and repeat them into oblivion.

But hey I'm just a loyalist so I'm probably just defending my lord and savior Spyderco.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
James Y

Post by James Y »

I haven't read the entire thread, so I don't know if this has already been mentioned, but I'd like to see a Native 5 Salt in linerless G10. I MUCH prefer the N5 in G10 over the LWT version.

I say this, even though I'm off of buying any new knives indefinitely. 🤪 Maybe if there comes a time in the far-off future where there's a G10 Salt version in Magnacut, and the bugs have all been worked out by then, perhaps there's a possibility...

Jim
salimoneus

Post by salimoneus »

Evil D wrote:
Sat Sep 17, 2022 11:32 am
salimoneus wrote:

Oh really?

Yes really, and time will tell after a few years of people repeating this same complaint. I'm not saying this as an opinion, it happens all the time and many steels have been branded with different BS issues like being brittle or chip prone and it doesn't matter how many people DONT have these issues because people will take a few comments or experiences as law and repeat them into oblivion.

But hey I'm just a loyalist so I'm probably just defending my lord and savior Spyderco.

The loyalist comment wasn't really directed towards you specifically, it was moreso others who outright called me a troll and other non-complimentary terms. I apologize if it came off that way.

Honestly I'm not that concerned about it. IMO that's what separates Spyderco from almost all other manufacturers, in that they go the extra mile with their product testing in various configurations, to determine what will work best for the majority of users. They've been doing mass production longer than most, and have figured out a thing or two along the way.

I trust that they will not put out a subpar product, even if it requires lengthy delays, and possibly even eliminating Magnacut from their folder lineups altogether. It has so far shown to be difficult to work with, which is concerning. I certainly hope it doesn't come to that, but at this point anything is possible. As you say, time will tell.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

salimoneus wrote:
Sun Sep 18, 2022 10:11 pm
Evil D wrote:
Sat Sep 17, 2022 11:32 am
salimoneus wrote:

Oh really?

The loyalist comment wasn't really directed towards you specifically, it was moreso others who outright called me a troll and other non-complimentary terms. I apologize if it came off that way.

Honestly I'm not that concerned about it. IMO that's what separates Spyderco from almost all other manufacturers, in that they go the extra mile with their product testing in various configurations, to determine what will work best for the majority of users. They've been doing mass production longer than most, and have figured out a thing or two along the way.

I trust that they will not put out a subpar product, even if it requires lengthy delays, and possibly even eliminating Magnacut from their folder lineups altogether. It has so far shown to be difficult to work with, which is concerning. I certainly hope it doesn't come to that, but at this point anything is possible. As you say, time will tell.

We can all have a civil disagreement and still be bros in the end. Honestly I'd be more than happy to be wrong. I do see trends and it's easy to get pessimistic about topics like this. Some users are just too quick to blame everything except themselves, like their bad sharpening habits instead of blaming heat treat. Some of this also comes from experience, I had a lot of bad habits when I started out that I learned was costing me edge retention and causing chipping and such.
~David
jwbnyc

Post by jwbnyc »

While we’re speculating, here’s my 2 cents. Spyderco is attempting to release Magnacut in their Salt line.

This may be one reason for any delay, perceived or real, in its release, as they get it dialed in to meet that very specific requirement and, at the same time, attempt to extract as much edge retention, and toughness, as possible.

Remember, way back when, what was Larrin’s original goal for Magnacut? A stainless steel approaching tool steel toughness for a given Hrc.

Kudos to Spyderco for taking the time to do something different from other manufacturers in this regard.

They could have dumped it into the market without any claims of superior corrosion resistance.

Instead, they are trying to do something special with Magnacut. Maybe they’ll get there, maybe they wont.

This is what makes Spyderco a leader in heat treating production knife steels.

They go the extra mile.
awa54

Post by awa54 »

James Y wrote:
Sat Sep 17, 2022 8:40 pm
I haven't read the entire thread, so I don't know if this has already been mentioned, but I'd like to see a Native 5 Salt in linerless G10. I MUCH prefer the N5 in G10 over the LWT version.

I say this, even though I'm off of buying any new knives indefinitely. 🤪 Maybe if there comes a time in the far-off future where there's a G10 Salt version in Magnacut, and the bugs have all been worked out by then, perhaps there's a possibility...

Jim
This ^^^

But I'll add that a subtly thinner primary bevel and immediate delivery at your favorite Spyderco dealer could make it even awesomer (yep, that's really a word, at least when expressing how much more awesome an already awesome knife *could* be :winking-tongue ).

...but no "perhaps" for me, strict " buy"!
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
bobnikon

Post by bobnikon »

Woodpuppy wrote:
Wed Sep 14, 2022 5:54 pm
Is that a Surefire?
OLight, it will burn through anything...
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

bobnikon wrote:
Sat Oct 08, 2022 10:59 am
Woodpuppy wrote:
Wed Sep 14, 2022 5:54 pm
Is that a Surefire?
OLight, it will burn through anything...
Don’t trust CCP made light sabers :usflag
sal

Post by sal »

FYI, We've got the heat treat of the MagnaCut blade down, thanx to Shawn and Larrin. the holdup is finding the best lock material to work with the blade. we've already nixed 2 different materials and we're now testing the 3rd.

sal
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

sal wrote:
Mon Oct 17, 2022 2:43 pm
FYI, We've got the heat treat of the MagnaCut blade down, thanx to Shawn and Larrin. the holdup is finding the best lock material to work with the blade. we've already nixed 2 different materials and we're now testing the 3rd.

sal

How often do you run into problems with blade and lock steels not working together, and in what ways do they not work? This is probably a detail that many of us have never considered (I certainly haven't). I'm assuming this is an issue with all locks? Is it more of an issue with some locks than others? Very interesting topic.
~David
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

I just saw Eric Glesser in a Knifecenter video talking about fitting the right materials with the steel of the blade in a backlock. It was quite informative.

For those interested, it's KniFAQ 100 Knifecenter on YouTube.
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
Araignee

Post by Araignee »

Great news about the heat treatment, Sal ! :hugging-face
It's already one major parameter nailed down.
Evil D wrote:
Mon Oct 17, 2022 2:54 pm
How often do you run into problems with blade and lock steels not working together, and in what ways do they not work? This is probably a detail that many of us have never considered (I certainly haven't). I'm assuming this is an issue with all locks? Is it more of an issue with some locks than others? Very interesting topic.
Great questions. I'm also naïvely wondering why the lock still can't (always ?) be made of the same steel as the blade.
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Could be a corrosion problem with the lock interface. How different metals react even different cuts of the same steel.

Thanks for the update Sal!
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005