Please help me pick my first spydie

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

GB2 or Maxamet PM2

Gayle Bradley 2 in CPM M4
68%
Para Military 2 in Maxamet
32%

Total votes: 28

Nate

Re: Please help me pick my first spydie

Post by Nate »

Voted GB2 based on the options in the poll, but for the use described I’d probably want a serrated beater like the Meadowlark Hawkbill paired with another plain-edged edc (whatever floats your boat).
:spyder:
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

To me, the choice comes down to which one cuts better and which one fits my hand best. Simple.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
w3tnz

Post by w3tnz »

If limited to those two, the gb2 based on steel and your stated uses, but have you considered the pm2 cruwear micarta??
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

Get a PM2, not Maxamet. Get a more well rounded steel, and go from there. Your first Spydie won't be your last Spydie. That is my advice.
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

I join Doc Dan on this. Best one for your hand, if you live in the USA you might be able to find a shop somewhere to handle them. It's a very good advantage I'd like to have !

I also support cabrank's reply. If you want a first Spyderco, maybe Maxamet isn't the best for the use you described. It's tough enough to resist vertical forces, but on fences and all you'll most likely incidently hit the edge from many directions and often have to sharpen it. If you chose a little bit less edge retention, you might have to sharpen less often, paradoxally :') :')
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
kissmyba$$69

Post by kissmyba$$69 »

Nate wrote:
Tue Sep 13, 2022 8:14 pm
Voted GB2 based on the options in the poll, but for the use described I’d probably want a serrated beater like the Meadowlark Hawkbill paired with another plain-edged edc (whatever floats your boat).
I carry a Leatherman as well as a cheap knife. The Leatherman has a serrated knife and saw, the cheap knife would go dull in less than 5 min so I figured I needed an upgrade.
Thanks for the reply
Men are like bank accounts...

Without a lot of money they don't generate a lot of interest
kissmyba$$69

Post by kissmyba$$69 »

Doc Dan wrote:
Tue Sep 13, 2022 11:10 pm
To me, the choice comes down to which one cuts better and which one fits my hand best. Simple.
I'm thinking the GB2 is the winner :grin-smiling-eyes
Thanks Doc!

kissmyba$$69

Post by kissmyba$$69 »

w3tnz wrote:
Wed Sep 14, 2022 12:01 am
If limited to those two, the gb2 based on steel and your stated uses, but have you considered the pm2 cruwear micarta??
I saw it on Blade HQ but didn't pay much attention, could be interesting. I'll look into it more, I've heard amazing things about Cruwear as an all around steel.
Thanks for posting

kissmyba$$69

Post by kissmyba$$69 »

cabfrank wrote:
Wed Sep 14, 2022 12:45 am
Get a PM2, not Maxamet. Get a more well rounded steel, and go from there. Your first Spydie won't be your last Spydie. That is my advice.
Another post mentioned a Cruwear PM2, it will be awhile before I get another spydie because I'm trying to save for a vehicle.

Thanks for the response

kissmyba$$69

Post by kissmyba$$69 »

Ramonade wrote:
Wed Sep 14, 2022 4:07 am
I join Doc Dan on this. Best one for your hand, if you live in the USA you might be able to find a shop somewhere to handle them. It's a very good advantage I'd like to have !

I also support cabrank's reply. If you want a first Spyderco, maybe Maxamet isn't the best for the use you described. It's tough enough to resist vertical forces, but on fences and all you'll most likely incidently hit the edge from many directions and often have to sharpen it. If you chose a little bit less edge retention, you might have to sharpen less often, paradoxally :') :')
Unfortunately the shop about 5 min away went out of business, so I plan on going to a knife show near me. I see your point, I would want something softer than Maxamet as it may chip and need to be sharpened vs a softer steel will just dull slightly.

Thanks for the post, I'm looking at a Cruwear PM2 and GB2.

ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

kissmyba$$69 wrote:
Tue Sep 13, 2022 6:19 pm
TkoK83Spy wrote:
Tue Sep 13, 2022 2:38 pm
If sold on the two specific knives, GB2 all the way. Maxamet COULD give you problems with chipping...how are your sharpening skills? It's apparently a bear to deal with (I have the Maxamet PM2 myself, in a warehouse environment and have only needed touchups) Though I do consider myself better than average at sharpening/reprofiling.

The PM2 does have liners, and the liner lock isn't an issue with the GB2 (I've owned that knife before for a couple years)
What other knives would you recommend besides the two I listed for what I'm doing?
for the purposes you stated, i would personally want a serrated salt. again, my preferences are not the same as yours, but serrations will cut longer, even though the salt steels don't have the highest edge retention. they are also easier to sharpen, so you could easily just touch up the blade occasionally. a serrated caribbean would be great for your applications, in my opinion and it's definitely got a high end and robust feel to it. in my experience, lc200n is tough like a tool steel, basically rustproof, really easy to touch up and keep sharp, and has enough edge retention to get through at least a day of work, especially when it's serrated.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
kissmyba$$69

Post by kissmyba$$69 »

ladybug93 wrote:
Wed Sep 14, 2022 7:13 am
kissmyba$$69 wrote:
Tue Sep 13, 2022 6:19 pm
TkoK83Spy wrote:
Tue Sep 13, 2022 2:38 pm
If sold on the two specific knives, GB2 all the way. Maxamet COULD give you problems with chipping...how are your sharpening skills? It's apparently a bear to deal with (I have the Maxamet PM2 myself, in a warehouse environment and have only needed touchups) Though I do consider myself better than average at sharpening/reprofiling.

The PM2 does have liners, and the liner lock isn't an issue with the GB2 (I've owned that knife before for a couple years)
What other knives would you recommend besides the two I listed for what I'm doing?
for the purposes you stated, i would personally want a serrated salt. again, my preferences are not the same as yours, but serrations will cut longer, even though the salt steels don't have the highest edge retention. they are also easier to sharpen, so you could easily just touch up the blade occasionally. a serrated caribbean would be great for your applications, in my opinion and it's definitely got a high end and robust feel to it. in my experience, lc200n is tough like a tool steel, basically rustproof, really easy to touch up and keep sharp, and has enough edge retention to get through at least a day of work, especially when it's serrated.
Will take a look at the serrated caribbean.
Thanks for posting!

EDIT: The blade steel and looks throws me off of the knife especially for $217, I looked up the HRC and its says it maxes at 60. Personally I don't care for corrosion resistance and would be willing to give that up for more edge retention. I think I would prefer a non serrated but maybe I'm wrong. But the build quality looks solid on the thing, wish the GB2 was compression locked like this. Sorry if I came across the wrong way but this knife just doesn't appeal to me. Thanks for the input.

Hopweaver

Post by Hopweaver »

DLT PM2 in S90V for the win!!!! I love S90V.

https://www.dlttrading.com/spyderco-par ... s90v-blade
:bug-red Make time for the important things in life, and learn to enjoy the little things more. :bug-red
kissmyba$$69

Post by kissmyba$$69 »

Hopweaver wrote:
Wed Sep 14, 2022 7:41 am

I heard its a pain to sharpen but will take a look.
Thanks for the reply

EDIT: How do you like spyderco's DLC coating?

WilliamMunny

Post by WilliamMunny »

kissmyba$$69 wrote:
Wed Sep 14, 2022 7:42 am
Hopweaver wrote:

Thanks for the reply

The DLT PM2 in S90V was also one of my recommendations. S90V can be harder to sharpen but it is easier than Maxamet. Its just how it works. If a steel is made hard and tough to hold an edge, then it will be hard and tougher to sharpen. Generally with these types of steels if you don't let them get too dull then they are easy to maintain. If you let them get totally dull then it can take some time to put a good edge back on.

I have not used a DLC knife but from what I have heard it does not get damaged unless abused. The knife steel is actually softer than the DLC and will scratch easier. Most people just clean it up once a week and it looks new.
Endura AUS-8, Manix 2 S30V, Alcyone BD1N, PM2 Micarta Cruwear, Native 5 Maxamet (2nd), Para 3 Maxamet (2nd), Magnacut Mule, Z-Wear Mule, BBB 15V Manix 2, REC PM3 10V Satin, Dragonfly Salt 2, GB2 M4.
kissmyba$$69

Post by kissmyba$$69 »

WilliamMunny wrote:
Wed Sep 14, 2022 7:54 am
kissmyba$$69 wrote:
Wed Sep 14, 2022 7:42 am
Hopweaver wrote:

Thanks for the reply

The DLT PM2 in S90V was also one of my recommendations. S90V can be harder to sharpen but it is easier than Maxamet. Its just how it works. If a steel is made hard and tough to hold an edge, then it will be hard and tougher to sharpen. Generally with these types of steels if you don't let them get too dull then they are easy to maintain. If you let them get totally dull then it can take some time to put a good edge back on.

I have not used a DLC knife but from what I have heard it does not get damaged unless abused. The knife steel is actually softer than the DLC and will scratch easier. Most people just clean it up once a week and it looks new.

How does the S90V PM2 compare to the GB2 and M4 Shaman? This might be the knife I get.

Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

This old man would suggest a Shaman in M4 as previously posted . Welcome to the Forum ! MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
kissmyba$$69

Post by kissmyba$$69 »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Wed Sep 14, 2022 8:51 am
This old man would suggest a Shaman in M4 as previously posted . Welcome to the Forum ! MG2
That price tag is what gets me, but at the same time this knife will last YEARS. So 60 bucks doesn't really matter. I will end up going to a knife show and feeling them all in hand and make my decision then.

Thanks for the input MG2

Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

kissmyba$$69 wrote:
Wed Sep 14, 2022 8:54 am
Manixguy@1994 wrote:
That price tag is what gets me, but at the same time this knife will last YEARS. So 60 bucks doesn't really matter. I will end up going to a knife show and feeling them all in hand and make my decision then.

Thanks for the input MG2
Very wise decision ! I highly recommend it when investing in a higher end Spyderco . Yes the Shaman is a bit more expensive but your edc plan and carry time over years would make that choice irrelevant . Hope you post your knife once you get it to share with us . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
kissmyba$$69

Post by kissmyba$$69 »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Wed Sep 14, 2022 9:02 am
kissmyba$$69 wrote:
Wed Sep 14, 2022 8:54 am
Manixguy@1994 wrote:

Thanks for the input MG2
Very wise decision ! I highly recommend it when investing in a higher end Spyderco . Yes the Shaman is a bit more expensive but your edc plan and carry time over years would make that choice irrelevant . Hope you post your knife once you get it to share with us . MG2
Ill post whichever knife I decide to get. I will be awhile as I only have $150 to spend so far :(
Only need another $120 or so if I decide to get the Shaman then happiness will arrive in a package! :grin-smiling-eyes

THANK YOU ALL FOR YOU INPUT!!!!