Shaman Rex45 Lock Face. Problem or Normal

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
_centurio_

Shaman Rex45 Lock Face. Problem or Normal

Post by _centurio_ »

Hello together,

I wanted to know if the lock face of my Rex 45 Shaman is normal or if that is an issue. The problem I have is that under quite a bit of force I can achieve horizontal blade play. Is that corner on the blade's lockface wanted from factory? The liner is not able to travel above that step. What are your opinions?

Thanks and best regards,
Oliver
ZrowsN1s

Re: Shaman Rex45 Lock Face. Problem or Normal

Post by ZrowsN1s »

_centurio_ wrote:
Tue Sep 13, 2022 10:38 am
Hello together,

I wanted to know if the lock face of my Rex 45 Shaman is normal or if that is an issue. The problem I have is that under quite a bit of force I can achieve horizontal blade play. Is that corner on the blade's lockface wanted from factory? The liner is not able to travel above that step. What are your opinions?

Thanks and best regards,
Oliver
I'd have to handle it to be sure, but I think if you put quite a bit of force on most knives you'll get some blade play.

As to your other question, yes that little notch on the lock face is normal, it is to help with and reduce wear on the detent ball in the lock tab.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Harkwit

Post by Harkwit »

Horizontal (side to side) play is almost always caused by a loose pivot. Do you mean vertical, as in the direction of the blade closing?

3 of the 5 shamans I've handled have had subtle vertical play, I feel like it's a more consistent problem than people let on. My para 3 and yojimbo, inversely, do not have blade play, so it's not like I don't know what it feels like. I have sent one in for warranty and it came back unfixed, so Spyderco will likely not correct it for you either.
_centurio_

Post by _centurio_ »

Sorry, I ment of course vertical play.

Thanks for your answeres.

BR
cjk

Post by cjk »

Are you talking about the ramp for the detent ball? That is supposed to be there.
cjk

Post by cjk »

Tighten up all the body screws and see if it goes away.

To get play like you describe, I would think the stop pin would need to move a bit. The stop pin is floating. It is kept in there by everything else being held together. It shouldn't be loose and able to move unless other screws are loose. I'd use a pair of Torx drivers to tighten the body screws.
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

I dont think hes talking about the detent cutout, I think hes talking about the "notch" on the comp lock ramp. Its a vertical line from the top of the ramp to the bottom. The para 3 ltwt has it, shaman has it...

It sounds like the corner of your lock tab is lining up at this spot and is slipping back by a hair under pressure.

I agree with above that adjusting the knife will probably fix this. Pivot and stop pin adjustment will probably solve it.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
w3tnz

Post by w3tnz »

Yes the lock bar should be clearing the first step and engaging the ramp, you should be able to see a mark where it contacts, might just need some breaking in.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Harkwit wrote:
Tue Sep 13, 2022 11:44 am
Horizontal (side to side) play is almost always caused by a loose pivot. Do you mean vertical, as in the direction of the blade closing?

3 of the 5 shamans I've handled have had subtle vertical play, I feel like it's a more consistent problem than people let on. My para 3 and yojimbo, inversely, do not have blade play, so it's not like I don't know what it feels like. I have sent one in for warranty and it came back unfixed, so Spyderco will likely not correct it for you either.
Both of mine have some play. I haven't spent any time trying to correct it, if it even can be corrected. The lock should still be plenty strong.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001