Knife Center Native 5 Salt in magnacut

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Sanderguy777

Knife Center Native 5 Salt in magnacut

Post by Sanderguy777 »

Is this thing ever going to be available? I saw it a month or two ago, and it's still not released yet. I LOVE my m4 from BladeHQ, but I think the magnacut would be a better EDC steel.

Is that going to be released, or has it been killed off? I want one, but I'm wondering if getting the Hogue Deka might be better (as a "bird in the hand" is LOL)
sal

Re: Knife Center Native 5 Salt in magnacut

Post by sal »

Hi Sanderguy,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
CDEP

Post by CDEP »

I'm SALivating over this one, too, Sanderguy. I'm up to 32 Spydercos in a little over 3 months since I held my first N5LW, and it is still my favorite Urban EDC. And yes, that M4 from BHQ is awesome, as are the REX45 versions from GPN. and the Maxamet, of course.

That said...

A PM2 in Magnacut with micarta, as in the "CruCarta" would be my ultimate knife for at home use. Sal & Eric could call it...

The MagnaCarta! (Rim Shot)

I'm here all week folks, don't forget to tip your servers.
Brian
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

I went ahead and got the Hogue Deka until the N5 is available. It's a good knife, but it will get kicked out of my pocket as soon as the N5 arrives.
Mrj

Post by Mrj »

I just use my lc2000 salt while I wait
MRj “Weak things break!”
huyfishin

Post by huyfishin »

Mrj wrote:
Mon Sep 12, 2022 8:27 am
I just use my lc2000 salt while I wait
Im already sooooo happy with my lc200n native 5. Already on my second one since I dropped my first one in the ocean.
I Play With Salt Knives / instagram huyfishin
huyfishin

Post by huyfishin »

CDEP wrote:
Sun Sep 11, 2022 8:22 pm
I'm SALivating over this one, too, Sanderguy. I'm up to 32 Spydercos in a little over 3 months since I held my first N5LW, and it is still my favorite Urban EDC. And yes, that M4 from BHQ is awesome, as are the REX45 versions from GPN. and the Maxamet, of course.

That said...

A PM2 in Magnacut with micarta, as in the "CruCarta" would be my ultimate knife for at home use. Sal & Eric could call it...

The MagnaCarta! (Rim Shot)

I'm here all week folks, don't forget to tip your servers.
32 spyderco's in 3 months!!!!!!!!!!
I Play With Salt Knives / instagram huyfishin
burlyspyder

Post by burlyspyder »

Sanderguy777 wrote:
Sun Sep 11, 2022 4:41 pm
Is this thing ever going to be available? I saw it a month or two ago, and it's still not released yet.
I pre-ordered on January 18th from KC. I still get occasional emails saying they haven't forgotten me...

I think these retailers are jumping the gun on these things to lock in the sale as soon as the big-hype items are announced. Waiting 8 months without knowing it would be 8 months is, well, annoying. I, for one, will not be so quick to order in the future.

@Sal,
Do you use pre-order numbers to scale knife production? I can see there may be some value in pre-ordering if that is the case.

Cheers,
-burly
:bug-red: H1, M4, 4v, 10v, Hap40, s90v, s110v, BD1n, Maxamet, Magnacut
MT; Z-max, Z-wear, Magnacut, SRS13, Rex76, M398, T15, K294, ZDP-189, HIC, AEB-L, SPY27, 15v
Other: D2, White#1, Blue#2, SuperBlue, VG-10, 204P, 20cv, s30v, s35vn, s45vn, s90v, HIC, TC71
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Pre-orders by sellers are entirely outside of Spyderco's control. I don't even think the numbers get reported back to Spyderco.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
gspam1

Post by gspam1 »

I like the opportunity to reserve something I really want at Knife Center. I have three knives and the webfoot sharpener on pre-order. Oldest is over a year now. They send a reminder every month or so to let me know the order is still live. I can always cancel at any time.

Agree, the wait is painful. I've thought of getting a metal etching kit and etching, "MagnaCut" into some of my existing knives. :)
SpyderVol

Post by SpyderVol »

We're all trying to be patient. I pre-ordered mine on 2.24, so I've been waiting almost 7 months. Spydercos are the new Randalls.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Waiting on sprint and exclusive runs is nothing new. It's very possible that the dealer had good reason to think their exclusive would be ready sooner but sometimes things happen that are out of their control. I'm sure the run wasn't cancelled. It was just delayed for whatever reason
burlyspyder wrote:
Mon Sep 12, 2022 10:05 am
@Sal,
Do you use pre-order numbers to scale knife production? I can see there may be some value in pre-ordering if that is the case.

Cheers,
-burly
I think the size of the run is pretty much agreed upon when the dealer signs up to do the exclusive several months in advance. Otherwise the dealer would have no way to know how much the initial cost will be

There's definitely value in pre-ordering. I've done it many times including from KC. Whether or not I do the pre-order depends on how popular I think the knife will be and how long the pre-order list has been open. I don't really see any issue with pre-ordering a dealer exclusive. Sprint runs are different because they're sold at many dealers. I'll pre-order with a specific dealer (like KC) if I know I'm getting on the list early enough that I'm pretty much guaranteed to get my order. If the sprint run starts to drop at other dealers and I have the opportunity to buy one I'll do so. Then I have the option of still waiting for my pre-order to ship or I can call the dealer and cancel
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
tangent

Post by tangent »

I remember seeing somewhere that Sal said they are trying to nail down the heat treat to maximize the properties of the steel. Rest assured that when it does come out, it will be made right.
Gtscotty

Post by Gtscotty »

I ordered my N5 at the end of December, the MC Deka was announced a little thereafter and has been available for a while now. If you like the Dekas, I'd recommend picking the MC version up, the plastic scales are kind of squishy, a set of G10 scales from Blade Scales made mine a much nicer knife. If I was just looking for a normal use MC knife I probably would have cancelled my N5 order since I like the Deka better in most ways, but I want an N5 salt for wet use too, so I'll keep waiting.
infinkc

Post by infinkc »

Odd that it’s removed off Spyderco’s website now, so is it still happening?
Scandi Grind

Post by Scandi Grind »

As far as I'm aware, Spyderco has given no indication that this is cancelled. However Sal has said that they are still reigning in the heat treat and that has caused a delay in release.
"A knifeless man is a lifeless man."

-- Old Norse proverb
phaust

Post by phaust »

infinkc wrote:
Mon Sep 12, 2022 12:24 pm
? Still featured on the first page of spyderco.com and has a product listing https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details/C41GR5/2300
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

After nearly missing out on a knife thanks to a presale that was oversold, I stopped doing presales. I have not regretted the decision. And I don't watch the clock like I would with presales anymore. If they don't have it in hand ready to ship, I'm not interested. I only bought the Teal PM2 'presale' because they said, we'll have them by tomorrow.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
infinkc

Post by infinkc »

phaust wrote:
Mon Sep 12, 2022 1:37 pm
infinkc wrote:
? Still featured on the first page of spyderco.com and has a product listing https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details/C41GR5/2300
That’s not the magnacut version that was previously announced. That’s the green lc200n one. So curious if they canned the magnacut one.
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

infinkc wrote:
Mon Sep 12, 2022 4:21 pm
phaust wrote:
Mon Sep 12, 2022 1:37 pm
infinkc wrote:
That’s not the magnacut version that was previously announced. That’s the green lc200n one. So curious if they canned the magnacut one.

The Magnacut Native5 Salt was never on the website.
Since it's not a new model, I'm assuming they will update the current listing for the yellow LC200n Native5 Salt to Magnacut. Like they did when they switched the PM2's from S30v to S45vn.
•• Beau