Salts and Steels

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Sharp24/7

Salts and Steels

Post by Sharp24/7 »

I’m curious if anyone who has wide experience with Salt series knives could make a recommendation. I’m weighing getting a Salt 2 in LC200N vs an N5 LW in that steel. Which does everyone prefer and why?
JSumm

Re: Salts and Steels

Post by JSumm »

That may come down to preferences on those models in hand. Are you close to a shop where you could get both in hand?
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

I agree they both feel very different in hand . Best advice ever , both are great knives . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

In Gallery you may find a comparison shot to help you . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
benben

Post by benben »

Let me save you some time, not money, just time. In LC200N, get yourself a serrated Pacific Salt and a plain edge Native LW.

Or.....a serrated Pacific Salt in H1 and a Native LW plain edge LC200N.
zuludelta

Post by zuludelta »

I simultaneously owned both a serrated Salt 2 in H1 & a plain edge Native 5 Salt in LC200N for a number of years. I found that they complemented each other very well. If you're choosing between both models in the same steel & edge type, however, it really comes down to whether you prefer the Salt 2's ergonomics or the Native 5's; and if you want a slicier blade.

In terms of ergonomics, I find the Native 5 Salt to be a slightly more versatile design with regards to grip, as the humpless blade lets me extend my thumb as far up the blade spine as I want or need, depending on my grip. I could do that with the Salt 2 as well, but its oversized Spydie-hole gives it a disproportionately taller thumb ramp than the Delica 4 it is based on, which makes it somewhat less comfortable to hold in what Spyderco designer Michael Janich calls "the Filipino grip" (basically a modified sabre grip, with the thumb fully extended onto the spine). The taller, more hand-filling handle on the Native 5 Salt also makes for slightly more comfortable extended cutting sessions for me, although it does have somewhat sharper corners which can dig into the palm when gripping the knife very tightly. The Salt 2 handle has more rounded contours, and for some people, this can be more important than having a hand-filling handle with regards to comfort.

In terms of the actual cutting performance, the Salt 2 has a thinner blade stock that—when combined with the LC200N version's full flat grind (my older H1 model had a less slicey sabre grind)—makes it a smoother slicer out-of-the-box than the Native 5 Salt. I imagine that for a lot of people, this puts the Salt 2 significantly over the Native 5 Salt.

Personally though, I couldn't put one significantly ahead of the other in terms of functionality, as their respective advantages & drawbacks pretty much cancel each other out. It might have to come down to your budget (the Salt 2 is a bit more affordable) & aesthetic preferences (I personally prefer the flowing lines on the Native 5).
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

that's a tough one. the native salt is much more comfortable in my hand, but the blade is a little thick, so it's definitely not as good a slicer as the salt 2 will be. since the native is more overbuilt, it makes sense to have a more comfortable handle for bearing down during harder work. the salt 2 can really handle the same work, but it would be slightly less comfortable in hand during harder work, potentially. so, are you looking for something a little more robust or something that will cut easier?

built for harder work? native salt
built for lighter edc cutting? salt 2
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
vivi

Post by vivi »

both knives are smaller than I prefer, but the Native accomodates my large hands better than the Salt 2. The flat spine means there is more space for one to place their thumb on the spine. So that would be the main thing that tips the scales in favor of the Native for me.
:unicorn
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Wait for a native salt in magnacut.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
standy99

Post by standy99 »

If it’s a Salt it’s H1 for me.

Used Pacific Salts on the boat for nearly 20 years

Have enough HI pacific Salt 1s stored away for my lifetime.
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
Takuan

Post by Takuan »

benben wrote:
Thu Sep 08, 2022 11:53 am
Let me save you some time, not money, just time. In LC200N, get yourself a serrated Pacific Salt and a plain edge Native LW.

Or.....a serrated Pacific Salt in H1 and a Native LW plain edge LC200N.
My thoughts exactly. I often carry the LC200N Native and a H1 Salt 2 (either the standard blade shape or the excellent Wharncliffe variation).
"We cannot live better than in seeking to become better."
--Socrates
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

I echo the above- I have a Salt 2 in SE H1, and I finally ordered a Pac Salt in SE H1. I’m holding out for the MagnaCut Native Salt!
vivi

Post by vivi »

standy99 wrote:
Fri Sep 09, 2022 9:29 am
If it’s a Salt it’s H1 for me.

Used Pacific Salts on the boat for nearly 20 years

Have enough HI pacific Salt 1s stored away for my lifetime.
I have enough 1's and 2's in H1 to last a lifetime. As nice as Magnacut sounds H1 never lets me down.
:unicorn
Netherend

Post by Netherend »

They are both really great knives. You can’t go wrong with either choice.

N5 is very comfortable in hand. The (delica) style salt is super lightweight and easy to carry.

If you want to go big , than the pac salt is a great choice.
Just one more knife...
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

Ergonomics aside, which is highly individual, my use pattern has pretty much settled on the N5 salt as an outdoor knife that works well for game and fish processing, food prep and misc. cutting tasks. I think this is mainly due to blade design, grip options and bombproof execution of the lock. While the Salt 2 has become more of an EDC/just in case knife. It doesn’t see a ton of EDC use, but I often carry it for workouts and other hi intensity stuff. It’s my top pick for IWB and PFD, long distance- and/or UL hiking/backpacking and of course my OG use case that initially got me into the (Seki) Salt series - i.e. backcountry SAR. I have both the H1 and LC200N, I like both and use them interchangeably. I’m not a sharpening nerd (yet), so when I pick one over the other it’s often for the somewhat lighter weight of the FFG LC200N or H1’s somewhat increased ability to stand up to abuse and neglect. In both cases it’s probably more of a theoretical difference than a noticeable one, but I have both so I can afford to play that game.