C-60 Ayoob Campaign: No I Won't Shut Up

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ovgcguy

Re: C-60 Ayoob Campaign: No I Won't Shut Up

Post by ovgcguy »

Deep carry for the win. The factory clip is way too tight - I cannot 1 hand replace the knife in my pocket with the factory clip because its so tight, which is highly annoying. 1 hand deploy/stow is critical for any knife IMO. IMO the regular clip is ugly. DC clip is not exactly sexy, but is acceptable to me.

The Lynch clip tension is still adequate, but much lighter. Also I like having it highly concealed which the DC clip gets you to about 95-100% concealed depending on how your pants hang.

Along those lines, we need to start the phrase KYOK - Knife your own Knife (a derivative of HYOH - Hike your own hike (hiking) or Hang your own Hang (hammocks)
Mystery Flavor

Post by Mystery Flavor »

Buddafucco wrote:
Thu Sep 08, 2022 1:34 pm
PlainEdge back In Stock at Wylaco Supply... https://www.wylaco.com/spyderco/spyderc ... &limit=100

Still at

MKE Blades:
PlainEdge... https://mkeblades.com/spyderco-c60gpgy- ... ing-knife/

SpyderEdge... https://mkeblades.com/spyderco-c60gsgy- ... ing-knife/
Anyone know if Wylaco has any codes that work? Since I had seen you guys discussing wylaco and saving money before it made me assume there are some codes... if anyone could message me or just let us all know what the deal is with that it would be awesome. Thanks for continuing to keep an eye out for all the ayoobs buddafucco!
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Mystery Flavor wrote:
Thu Sep 08, 2022 2:29 pm
Buddafucco wrote:
PlainEdge back In Stock at Wylaco Supply... https://www.wylaco.com/spyderco/spyderc ... &limit=100

Still at

MKE Blades:

Anyone know if Wylaco has any codes that work? Since I had seen you guys discussing wylaco and saving money before it made me assume there are some codes... if anyone could message me or just let us all know what the deal is with that it would be awesome. Thanks for continuing to keep an eye out for all the ayoobs buddafucco!
You should read this before ordering from them. A few of us who ordered from them concluded that it would be the last time we ordered from them. How ever if it's the only place you can find the Ayoob it might be worth it to you. Just know it was not a smooth transaction. The knife did show up eventually, and in good condition, and I did save a few bucks.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=93098&p=1647927
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Mystery Flavor

Post by Mystery Flavor »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Thu Sep 08, 2022 2:54 pm
Mystery Flavor wrote:
Thu Sep 08, 2022 2:29 pm
Buddafucco wrote:

Still at

MKE Blades:

You should read this before ordering from them. A few of us who ordered from them concluded that it would be the last time we ordered from them. How ever if it's the only place you can find the Ayoob it might be worth it to you. Just know it was not a smooth transaction. The knife did show up eventually, and in good condition, and I did save a few bucks.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=93098&p=1647927
Thanks for the warning. Looking into the company a little bit I don't get the sense they are shady, but it is very weird the shipping hassle some of you guys went through. Was there a code you used? I'm not sure how else you could have saved a few bucks unless there is/was a code? Please share if there is still a good code. I'm trying to figure out what % off is possible and if I have to wait for their newsletters to get a code. Seems like if the savings is enough it is worth the potential delay. Spyderco has made it hard to find deals since they changed to MAP... :woozy
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Mystery Flavor wrote:
Thu Sep 08, 2022 3:49 pm

Thanks for the warning. Looking into the company a little bit I don't get the sense they are shady, but it is very weird the shipping hassle some of you guys went through. Was there a code you used? I'm not sure how else you could have saved a few bucks unless there is/was a code? Please share if there is still a good code. I'm trying to figure out what % off is possible and if I have to wait for their newsletters to get a code. Seems like if the savings is enough it is worth the potential delay. Spyderco has made it hard to find deals since they changed to MAP... :woozy
Sorry for not saying that in last post, but there was no code. It's no tax and free shipping, which ends up being $15-$30 cheaper than places that charge for one or both.

Their MAP price is the 'Out the door price'.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
SpyderGrill

Post by SpyderGrill »

I dont have a problem with the standard clip and I like the classic yellow bug on the black clip! Call me weird, but I wont change mine unless it eventually wears off.
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Mark’s Outdoors in Vestavia, AL has a PE and SE and will ship. Call and ask for Randy, he’s beyond friendly. They have a website but no web store, but will ship. Truly one of the great brick and mortars in the SE
cjk

Post by cjk »

twinboysdad wrote:
Fri Sep 09, 2022 7:47 am
Mark’s Outdoors in Vestavia, AL has a PE and SE and will ship. Call and ask for Randy, he’s beyond friendly. They have a website but no web store, but will ship. Truly one of the great brick and mortars in the SE
That's cool. Roll Tide. ;)
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

cjk wrote:
Fri Sep 09, 2022 7:58 am
twinboysdad wrote:
Fri Sep 09, 2022 7:47 am
That's cool. Roll Tide. ;)
I pull for Bama when they aren’t playing Auburn
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

So I have grabbed a SE. it felt like getting an Ayoob in PE is like getting a tattoo no one can see. Why bother, right? The SE has done some cardboard duty already and will be my user for sure. I think it be SE I am less concerned with it not looking mint
blueblur

Post by blueblur »

I’d like to thank JD again for sparking life into this project. Now that I’ve been carrying this model for a couple weeks I can fully appreciate the qualities that make this one unique. The negative blade angle makes certain cutting tasks a lot easier and the handle is like an improved endura 4 handle in a way. Sometimes the choked forward position almost feels like it has a choil but it’s still a comfortable grip when slid back. Now that the action is breaking in it has a really nice feel to it.

I’m glad I’m able to experience this model. I don’t see myself carrying a different primary knife for a long time.
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

twinboysdad wrote:
Fri Sep 09, 2022 3:25 pm
So I have grabbed a SE. it felt like getting an Ayoob in PE is like getting a tattoo no one can see. Why bother, right? The SE has done some cardboard duty already and will be my user for sure. I think it be SE I am less concerned with it not looking mint
The one cut I made with my PE was thick and not the FFG type I am used to, however the SE is a different animal. Opened up a bag of dog food and the Amazon box with my son’s new wrestling shoes and it’s a cross between a laser and a wood chipper!
benben

Post by benben »

twinboysdad wrote:
Fri Sep 09, 2022 3:25 pm
Showed mine to my sublet glass guy at the shop today, he’s a very knowledgeable Spyderco guy, he has an OLD Military, a M390 Manix, and a 20CV Para 2, so he gets it.

He opened and closed my SE C60 five or six times and calmly said…..this knife just screams serrated, I’m sure the plain edge is nice, but this knife definitely needs to be serrated!

Couldn’t agree more!
troutinCO

Post by troutinCO »

I am very satisfied with my 2 PEs. I thinned them both out and they cut very well.
TheGiant80

Post by TheGiant80 »

troutinCO wrote:
Thu Sep 08, 2022 1:40 pm
TheGiant80 wrote:
Thu Sep 08, 2022 1:25 pm
To swap for a deep carry clip or not to swap for a deep carry clip..

That is the question!
Deep carry all the things! My preference anyhow. :shush
Haha fair enough! Are you running the standard or the long Lynch clip? According to their website, both work on the Ayoob..
R100

Post by R100 »

So... I've had my SE for about a week now and it is everything that people have raved about. Fantastically smooth and well finished and I love the ergos. For me the shallow serrations take SE to a new level. Combined with the blade shape the cutting performance is amazing and much more versatile in my use than the usual serration pattern. I reprofiled my lc200n Pac Salt to 15° on the ground side, thoroughly rounding the serrations, and even with the tall ffg blade it still doesn't cut as well as the Ayoob. This knife is a true versatile EDC for me.

The Ayoob preparing the ingredients for scrambled eggs this morning. It's great for food prep, despite the narrow sabre grind. It has proved adept at harder tasks but this is the icing on the cake for an all round EDC.

Mine had the classic snaggle tooth pattern where the plain edge bit was very obtusely ground. I value this piece of PE so I carefully reprofiled the ground side with a CBN rod in the 40° slots of the Sharpmaker. It is still robust but cuts much better. I loved the way the Cruwear responded to the CBN.

I forgot to take a "before" photo but you can see the bevel is quite wide now, particularly at the tip.

I was worried about the weight because 4.9oz is more than I usually like to carry. The Ayoob is much easier to carry than it should be because it is both narrow and thin with the excellent bevelling of the G10 that only the Japanese makers seem to do.

This knife is superb in the hand and great in the pocket. It is the best knife purchase I've made in a very long time.

THANK YOU JD AND SAL.

Dan
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

troutinCO wrote:
Fri Sep 09, 2022 7:02 pm
I am very satisfied with my 2 PEs. I thinned them both out and they cut very well.
Aren't you even going to give the SE a try? I haven't yet talked to even one guy who bought an SE version that has anything but good to say about it.
It's already my #1 Spyderco SE folder even in just the short time I've had it. I'm hoping that many of the new SE patterns are going to be just like this one.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I've been using mine quite a bit and thought maybe it's time to start looking into sharpening it. Turns out the serrations are ground somewhere steeper than 20 degrees, because the 40 slots on the Sharpmaker are hitting the very top edge of the bevel. This is a bummer and a big concern for me because it'll be quite a lot of reprofiling to take this down to 15 degrees and I'm really concerned about losing serration definition since the scallops are already so mellow. I guess I can try to freehand it but I really wish I could just sharpen it the same as all my other SE knives.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
troutinCO

Post by troutinCO »

Evil D wrote:
Sat Sep 10, 2022 4:33 am
I've been using mine quite a bit and thought maybe it's time to start looking into sharpening it. Turns out the serrations are ground somewhere steeper than 20 degrees, because the 40 slots on the Sharpmaker are hitting the very top edge of the bevel. This is a bummer and a big concern for me because it'll be quite a lot of reprofiling to take this down to 15 degrees and I'm really concerned about losing serration definition since the scallops are already so mellow. I guess I can try to freehand it but I really wish I could just sharpen it the same as all my other SE knives.
This is why I am NOT going with the SE version. As I stated before: cruwear teeth, at a whole lot more than 20 dps, is something I don't want to deal with. Evil D confirmed what I felt I saw and wanted to avoid in the SE version.
Knowing that the only real tool one has to reprofile SE edges is the sharpmaker w/ CBN or Diamond rods; having to do SE on the sharpmaker to get to 20dps is not going to be fun. Since I don't hold my knives at odd angles on the sharpmaker, I would want to reprofile it so it would be like any other knife I have. Evil D expresses that sentiment as "I really wish I could just sharpen it the same as all my other SE knives."

I love my 2 PEs and both cut even better now that I took the edges down a whole lot. First one is done at 14dps with a 15dps touch up on the sharpmaker, the one I did last night was done to 18dps with a 20dps touch on the sharpmaker.
Oh no my resell value!!! lol
ruinedresell.jpg
I took lots of metal off getting to that with my hapstone. It was fun and I like the fact they left it so I can set the edge angle I really want. If I had to guess I'd say the stock grinds on mine were 24/26 and the other was somewhere like 21/24 dps. My second PE sample had a much better edge than the first one.

I am glad they made both edges and we have the choice between them. I got what I did not know I wanted and did not get what I knew I did not want.

@TheGiant80 - I am using the standard. The hole pattern is the same between both long and standard so they both will work. The long one looks to match up lengthwise with the stock clip.
clip.jpg
Hopsbreath

Post by Hopsbreath »

Back from the spa treatment, it’s a little leaner and ready to mingle. Time to get put to use! Hollow grind courtesy of John with BGM.