C-60 Ayoob Campaign: No I Won't Shut Up

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JD Spydo

Re: C-60 Ayoob Campaign: No I Won't Shut Up

Post by JD Spydo »

TheGiant80 wrote:
Tue Sep 06, 2022 1:57 pm
Arrived this morning. This thing rules! I actually said "Interesting!" out loud when I got the knife in-hand and felt the negative angle of the design. Great shape, good weight, excellent balance, etc. I even like the look and feel of the G10. I'm in the minority when I say backlocks are my favorite, and this one is no slouch. Directly into the pocket it goes!
So many people who were not around when this masterpiece first arrived on the scene are now getting their chance to "discover" a Spyderco treasure from the past.

This is truly one of the "Golden Era" models that they had made right from the get-go. It gives my soul deep satisfaction to keep hearing what "TheGiant80" just said in his post. And I'm hearing it over and over again from many people.

And what's even more awesome is that Spyderco has even improved this great classic on top of everything else they provided with this most amazing Sprint Run.

I'm deeply satisfied that this C-60 Ayoob Sprint Run has been a true success. I hope all my Spyder-Brethren feel the same way.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I strongly believe every serration pattern should start and end with a large serration. Starting with one makes starting your sharpening stroke smoother and ending with one makes the transition into the plain edge section cleaner, and it creates a nice little hook at the end of the blade and I use that all the time for detailed cuts.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Evil D wrote:
Tue Sep 06, 2022 3:21 pm
I've been browsing back on this thread on and off reading all the past responses and besides a landslide demand for a SE version, I think probably the second most requested variation was for a rust proof Salt version. It's probably unlikely given how much of a challenge it sounds like it was to get this sprint done, but I really think a Salt version has selling potential, especially if it could somehow be done before the hype of this sprint dies down. I could see an all blacked out H1 Salt version being a major hit. Being a SE design, a blacked out stealth version just makes sense, and H1 works so well with serrations, I think the demand would be there.
David my friend you literally ripped the words right out of my mouth. I couldn't have said this any better myself even thinking about it for a while.

In spite of it being difficult for Spyderco to do this most amazing Sprint Run I'll continue to lobby for a SALT version. I believe the success this Sprint Run has had even demands it. The blade design is great for a wide range of cutting chores. It's even great for filleting fish. And it would most certainly serve as a great "all purpose" blade in a harsh, salt water environment.

It would have been a crime not to bring back the full SE version of this classic. And the PE version is suberb as well. I truly now believe all my time I put forth was spent wisely on this endeavor. For all the rest of you guys who supported this project I can't thank you all enough.
Evil D

Re: Massad Ayoob Cruwear vs Original comparison pics

Post by Evil D »

mark greenman wrote:
Tue Sep 06, 2022 6:46 pm
Evil D wrote:
Mon Sep 05, 2022 1:57 am
mark greenman wrote:
Sun Sep 04, 2022 10:59 pm

Excellent review / analysis.

I hadn't even realized the newer model is less pointy / had a different profile tip to the original until you mentioned it.

I wonder what inspired that change?

Probably has something to do with the hollow grinding process and wheel. None of the ones I've handled have perfectly symmetrical blade grinds (including my original). Maybe this is just how my examples are? I wonder how the plain edges differ.
Hmmm, no I mean comparing the blade profile of the Ayoob 1.0 Serrated vs the 3.0, the new model has a different blade shape - the 3.0 is 'taller/broader' towards the tip at the point where the blade transitions from PE to SE:

Somewhat reminiscent of the difference blade shape used for the Manbug vs the Ladybug.

To me that change in blade shape seems like a subtle but conscious design change.

What I meant was maybe the blade shape was effected differently by the hollow grind process and/or serrations cutting on the original vs the new one. In other words when doing either type of grind, if you grind off enough steel it's going to change the blade shape and belly. I've done this accidentally through poor sharpening techniques, once turned a Manix 2 into a wharncliffe lol. Can you compare the new PE with an original PE and see how the blade height differs?
~David
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Enough fit and finish, serrations, grinds- who is using their new Ayoob? Pics in use guys, someone has to be putting work in
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

twinboysdad wrote:
Wed Sep 07, 2022 1:36 pm
Enough fit and finish, serrations, grinds- who is using their new Ayoob? Pics in use guys, someone has to be putting work in

It's all I've used since getting my hands on it, but not much worth talking about really, just typical work stuff.

I've cut up a bunch of boxes. I did cut the crap out of my left thumb with it but if you've seen one cut you've seen them all right?
~David
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

Last edited by Buddafucco on Mon Sep 12, 2022 3:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
•• Beau
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Evil D wrote:
Wed Sep 07, 2022 2:19 pm
twinboysdad wrote:

It's all I've used since getting my hands on it, but not much worth talking about really, just typical work stuff.

I've cut up a bunch of boxes. I did cut the crap out of my left thumb with it but if you've seen one cut you've seen them all right?
That’s a great pic my man
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Evil D wrote:
Wed Sep 07, 2022 2:19 pm
twinboysdad wrote:

Surely you aren’t the lone real Ayoob user off this sprint?
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

Buddafucco wrote:
Wed Sep 07, 2022 3:47 pm
MKE Blades:
PlainEdge... https://mkeblades.com/spyderco-c60gpgy- ... ing-knife/

SpyderEdge... https://mkeblades.com/spyderco-c60gsgy- ... ing-knife/

They are also at Ross Cutlery for an inflated price $$$:
PlainEdge... https://www.rosscutlery.store/collectio ... ay-c60gpgy
SpyderEdge... https://www.rosscutlery.store/collectio ... ay-c60gsgy

Beau, any chance you have any info if when DLT would get theirs? I've checked over the weekend as per Jordan's post her elast week but no dice.
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

JD Spydo wrote:
Wed Sep 07, 2022 1:36 am
Evil D wrote:
Tue Sep 06, 2022 3:21 pm
I've been browsing back on this thread on and off reading all the past responses and besides a landslide demand for a SE version, I think probably the second most requested variation was for a rust proof Salt version. It's probably unlikely given how much of a challenge it sounds like it was to get this sprint done, but I really think a Salt version has selling potential, especially if it could somehow be done before the hype of this sprint dies down. I could see an all blacked out H1 Salt version being a major hit. Being a SE design, a blacked out stealth version just makes sense, and H1 works so well with serrations, I think the demand would be there.
David my friend you literally ripped the words right out of my mouth. I couldn't have said this any better myself even thinking about it for a while.

In spite of it being difficult for Spyderco to do this most amazing Sprint Run I'll continue to lobby for a SALT version. I believe the success this Sprint Run has had even demands it. The blade design is great for a wide range of cutting chores. It's even great for filleting fish. And it would most certainly serve as a great "all purpose" blade in a harsh, salt water environment.

It would have been a crime not to bring back the full SE version of this classic. And the PE version is suberb as well. I truly now believe all my time I put forth was spent wisely on this endeavor. For all the rest of you guys who supported this project I can't thank you all enough.
After handling one, I would be on board for a Salt version. It is a solid design reminiscent of the catcherman, but with that sweet negative blade angle.

I know it took a small miracle to bring to market, but it would be worth a second miracle.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Buddafucco wrote:
MKE Blades:

Just how many dealers are now selling the Spyderco Ayoob Sprint Run at "INFLATED PRICES"??? I've got a feeling that more and more dealers are going to start charging "Inflated Prices". I'm about 95% sure that Ross Cutlery is not the only dealer that is exploiting "Inflated Prices".

I'm truly sorry this is happening. But it doesn't surprise me either.
SpyderGrill

Post by SpyderGrill »

Evil D wrote:
Wed Sep 07, 2022 1:28 am
I strongly believe every serration pattern should start and end with a large serration. Starting with one makes starting your sharpening stroke smoother and ending with one makes the transition into the plain edge section cleaner, and it creates a nice little hook at the end of the blade and I use that all the time for detailed cuts.

I think I remember Sal Saying they like to start with a large serration and end with one. The only other serrated knife I have that dont is the Atlantic Salt
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

nerdlock wrote:
Wed Sep 07, 2022 8:15 pm
Buddafucco wrote:
MKE Blades:

Beau, any chance you have any info if when DLT would get theirs? I've checked over the weekend as per Jordan's post her elast week but no dice.

Sorry nerdlock, I don't know. Maybe if Jordan knows that you're in Asia and waking up 4 times throughout the night to check... Hopefully he'll help you out? He seems like a pretty awesome guy like that!
Last edited by Buddafucco on Mon Sep 12, 2022 3:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
•• Beau
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

Buddafucco wrote:
Thu Sep 08, 2022 4:09 am
nerdlock wrote:
Wed Sep 07, 2022 8:15 pm
Buddafucco wrote:
MKE Blades:

Sorry nerdlock, I don't know. Maybe if Jordan knows that you're in Asia and waking up 4 times throughout the night to check... Hopefully he'll help you out? He seems like a pretty awesome guy like that!

Thank you for the suggestion, I'll do just that. 😊
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Great photo David.
It seems a knife that would be great for glove work. I don’t have many large Spyderco’s but this model really has a terrific handle with plenty of room.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Blerv wrote:
Thu Sep 08, 2022 8:29 am
Great photo David.
It seems a knife that would be great for glove work. I don’t have many large Spyderco’s but this model really has a terrific handle with plenty of room.
Well BRO I can't tell you how glad I am that you do indeed like the new C-60 Ayoob model.

I bet there are going to be a lot more people wanting one of these than most people realize.

I do believe they might just have to bring this one back into the main line up. Just a hunch.
TheGiant80

Post by TheGiant80 »

To swap for a deep carry clip or not to swap for a deep carry clip..

That is the question!
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

Last edited by Buddafucco on Wed Sep 21, 2022 4:46 pm, edited 3 times in total.
•• Beau
troutinCO

Post by troutinCO »

TheGiant80 wrote:
Thu Sep 08, 2022 1:25 pm
To swap for a deep carry clip or not to swap for a deep carry clip..

That is the question!
Deep carry all the things! My preference anyhow. :shush