Vehicle knife

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
anycal

Re: Vehicle knife

Post by anycal »

I keep a Native 5 LW in the 'ashtrey'. Fits there perfectly; not afraid to abuse it if needs be; lend it out for day use when needs be; put it in my pocket on a rare occasion if I fail to bring a different knife.

I should call it EDCtrey, as it has the Native, flashlight, lighter, some toothpicks...
Peter
huyfishin

Post by huyfishin »

RamZar wrote:
Thu Sep 01, 2022 3:58 pm
Spyderco Assist Salt H-1

"Its blunt tip safely slides under seat belts, clothing, and other materials and will not puncture flotation gear, while its SpyderEdge provides extreme cutting performance that easily powers through even the toughest materials. The Assist Salt’s bright yellow handle is injection molded from tough fiberglass-reinforced nylon and has both a Bi-Directional Texture™ pattern and finger grooves to guarantee a secure grip. The finger grooves also provide a solid purchase that enables the blade to “scissor cut” rope much like a cigar cutter. Squeeze the Assist Salt’s closed blade and a retractable carbide glass breaker extends from the butt end of the handle to safely and efficiently break windows. A built-in survival whistle, sturdy back lock mechanism, and a reversible wire pocket clip round out the knife’s features and ensure convenient carry and completely ambidextrous operation."

this knife has me mind blown!! built in whistle?

Might pick one up
I Play With Salt Knives / instagram huyfishin
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

JRinFL wrote:
Thu Sep 01, 2022 12:33 pm
Check your local laws pertaining to knives (or any other weapon) in cars and/or in reach of the driver. Some don't make sense, but they are still the law.

For me, I just keep a combo-edge Delica that was scale-swapped with a waved version.
100% this. Laws are strange. I’d almost rather have a Maglite in the door just because the story would make more sense.
CXXX

Post by CXXX »

prndltech wrote:
Thu Sep 01, 2022 1:06 pm
I keep a serrated pacific salt (1st gen) in the truck. Also works well if I accidentally forget to put a knife in my pocket.
Me too, Yellow is easy to see also.
Spyderco Rescue in the EDC Bag
A Benchmade Triage in the truck.
stanolszews

Post by stanolszews »

Leatherman Skeletool RX.....serrated 154CM knife, glass breaking tip, and pliers all in one.
rashman

Post by rashman »

RevMike wrote:
Thu Sep 01, 2022 9:09 pm

To be quite honest I would say that the best bet, to go along with the knife in everyone's pocket, is something called a resqme tool attached to the key in the ignition.

this is a very a handy tool! it’s in the center console/ jockey box - only used it once to get someone else out of a turtled rig in a ditch - made quick work of the seat belt - I also keep a Atlantic Salt in my moto jacket mainly for the RZR rides
current fav’s: K390 SS Stretch, PM2 CruWear Mircata, P.I.T.S., Subway Bowie
Laphroaig9

Post by Laphroaig9 »

Tomahawk and a Cold Steel Serrated Voyager XL Tanto Point.

The second made the first "road rage" guy decide he didn't want to scream at me in person, and the Tamahawk made the second guy make the same decision.

"SCARE THEM WITH STEEL!"
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

So you automatically brandish a weapon during a road rage altercation? You're asking for a short life or a prison sentence. Doesn't always pay to try to look all macho. Be smarter than that.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
SG89

Post by SG89 »

I have 4 knives in my vehicle, 2 spydies and 2 victorinox
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

I usually keep six or seven knives in the truck for various needs or emergencies. These include a SE Tenacious, a Microtech OTF, a Leatherman, and a few others that I've forgotten are in there. :smirk
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

Like most measures I’ve made to be prepared, in almost all areas of life, most of what I end up keeping in my car(s) is inspired by past failures.
I will also add that planning for ones own car accident is only useful to a point, there’s just too many unknowns to make reliable preparations for any situation that might occur. As a consequence my philosophy would be to make basic preparations for direct involvement in critical accidents and rather plan to have a more comprehensive capacity to solve issues where my own capacity to function is more predictable, e.g. minor accidents, breakdowns or assisting others in anything up to critical accidents.

First knife I decided to keep permanently in my car was something to slice bread, after a forgetting to bring one at a couple of instances.

The other knife I added, as a precautionary measure, is a generic beater knife. This is mainly intended for unforeseen events like car breakdown. Norway is not very densely populated, the weather can be temperamental and driving conditions challenging. I’ve experienced more than a few sketchy situations where the outcome was more determined by luck than my own preparation. With older age and more responsibility, I’m leaving less and less of my wellbeing to luck. A reasonably well made fixed blade can aid in car repairs, pry up stuck or frozen parts of the vehicle or any other items and serve as a makeshift ice pick for anything that might need to be de-iced in a pinch. There’s also the bushcrafting/survival potential, but I view that as a less likely scenario, however I sometimes voluntarily use it as such when we go car camping, and it’s also nice to have a backup do-everything knife in the unlikely scenario that I forget a dedicated knife when going fishing, hunting etc..

It’s also worth mentioning that while very useful, the knives are just a minor piece in a large puzzle of measures to ensure that I/we reach the destination in good shape. Especially my winter kit is quite comprehensive, but that’s way too OT for this thread.

Current setup
Large 4WD for harsh conditions and longer trips (combustion engine->high maintenance):
Tenacious LW SE (food prep)
Hultafors OK4 (everything else)
Full toolkit +++

Small EV for inter city/short trips (electric->low maintenance):
Cold Steel American lawman (had it, didn’t quite need it, but kind of found its niche here. Compact enough to fit in a small glove compartment, yet very sturdy if it ever has to be pushed to its limits).
Leatherman Surge (It’s a low maintenance car, but it’s always nice to have some basic tools available. It’s a bit heavy for most of my MT needs, so in the very long intervals between needing it, it makes more sense to store it here than in the sock drawer).
brj

Post by brj »

Police 4 (& a Leatherman Wave)
MFlovejp

Post by MFlovejp »

My most beater Spyderco aka my first batch pac salt LC200N. That and a hultafors construction knife for any truly rugged business. Besides that I always have an axe and saw because road trips in Alaska allow such things.
Current Carries: Military 4V, Stretch XL Cruwear, Sage 1 CF, Siren Sprint S90V, ZDP Delica
Wishlist: Cruwear Military, Super Blue Caly 3.5
Favorite Steels: CTS-XHP, Cruwear, ZDP-189, LC200N
rgc

Post by rgc »

I just put my new Aqua Salt SE on my seat back panel. I have a Gerber MP600 multi tool in the pouch below it (with some other stuff). The Aqua Salt is set up for me to retrieve it quickly once I open the the back driver's side door.

rgc

Post by rgc »

I also have an old Lone Wolf Knives Landslide up on my visor, but, plan on replacing this with a SE Rescue knife soon.

tangent

Post by tangent »

Mora Garberg or Kansbol. If it’s gotta be a Spyderco, then I vote for the Pacific Salt (the best Spyderco made, lol).
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

Keep in the car…
2 shamans
Spydiechef
Gerber multi tool
Endura
Manix2 XL
Zero tolerance Ti 0562
Having multiple knives in my car allows me to swap and chose my knife for my destination from what I have on me to one in the car but sometimes I carry two knives.
:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

If laws aren't a concern I'd go with a Jumpmaster 2 and just try to hide it well enough that if your car is broke into they don't find it.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Kevinim82

Post by Kevinim82 »

Evil D wrote:
Wed Nov 09, 2022 5:50 am
If laws aren't a concern I'd go with a Jumpmaster 2 and just try to hide it well enough that if your car is broke into they don't find it.
I am surprised you didn’t share the utility of a Spyder thrower.

Goblins can be anywhere!

On a serious note, have the carbide hammer with seatbelt cutter in the side door. Hope to never use it.
Was never a space cadet, but with LC200N I might be more in space than a cadet.

MNOSD 0009
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Kevinim82 wrote:
Wed Nov 09, 2022 1:00 pm
Evil D wrote:
Wed Nov 09, 2022 5:50 am
I am surprised you didn’t share the utility of a Spyder thrower.

Goblins can be anywhere!

On a serious note, have the carbide hammer with seatbelt cutter in the side door. Hope to never use it.

Serrations give a massive +20 damage to seat belts and +2 to Charisma and require low Dexterity to wield. They're a no-brainer for all car and/or goblin defense.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David