SAGE Series

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Blerv

Re: SAGE Series

Post by Blerv »

I’d love a Sage with copper/bronze/brass embellishments. I’ve been banging that drum a long time though just in general, lol.

Maybe this look with a Michael Walker Button Lock? I’d pawn my car for that…
Toucan

Post by Toucan »

Idk, but semi-related. How/why is the FRN in the lightweight version not sage green? It's right there. c'mon!
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

I thought the same thing when the BladeHQ minty versions came out. Missed a big opportunity there.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Toucan wrote:
Fri Sep 02, 2022 3:58 am
Idk, but semi-related. How/why is the FRN in the lightweight version not sage green? It's right there. c'mon!
Yeah I've wondered that myself as I struggle to put the mint green one in my pocket. I'll probably Rit dye it at some point
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
z1r

Post by z1r »

I was able to overcome the mint green by focusing on the fabulous M4 steel and compression lock platform.
anycal

Post by anycal »

I only recently became a fan, when the BHQ M4 was released some 9 months ago.

I kick myself for not getting on the Sage 2 when it was discontinued and priced nicely at the time. If re-released as a sprint, I know I would get one.

In the spirit of different locks for the series, CBBL would be nice. Although never tried it, I could get behind the button lock as well.
Peter
fixall

Post by fixall »

This is easily my favorite Sage, and I don't see anything unseating it in the near future.

M4 steel and sidecut, seafoam Micarta scales. :D

I was a little shocked, and absolutely surprised when I took this thing apart. It's a tank! So well built! I was very happy to see that Spyderco decided to use a pivot bushing on the lightweight. It's a stupendous knife.

RamZar

Post by RamZar »

fixall wrote:
Fri Sep 02, 2022 2:28 pm
This is easily my favorite Sage, and I don't see anything unseating it in the near future.

I was a little shocked, and absolutely surprised when I took this thing apart. It's a tank! So well built! I was very happy to see that Spyderco decided to use a pivot bushing on the lightweight. It's a stupendous knife.

How’s the texture on the scales? Looks very cool!
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
fixall

Post by fixall »

RamZar wrote:
Fri Sep 02, 2022 2:41 pm
fixall wrote:

How’s the texture on the scales? Looks very cool!
Thanks!

It's every so slightly rougher than standard canvas Micarta. Nice and grippy while still being pretty smooth. :)
Ferruginous

Post by Ferruginous »

I just got my first SAGE, the lightweight, and I'm shocked at how great it is and very disappointed in myself for waiting this long to get one.

I've had a Para 3 for a few years and was never able to enjoy carrying it due to the unnecessarily high clip location (I believe due to the overly large lanyard hole dominating the handle). Combined with the thickness of the handle it felt like a heavy chunk high on my pocket.

The SAGE feels perfect both in my pocket and in my hand.

I like that the SAGE has no hump at the back of the handle (which in my XL hands ended up in the middle of my palm). The hump is appreciated on the Military, where it ends up outside of my grip and locks the knife to my hand. I prefer the leaf shaped blade to the clip points but I couldn't tell you why. I really like that the minimal lanyard hole allows the clip to be in the perfect location. The wire clip is ideal, I wish all knives, aside from my Military, had the wire clip. I like the polymer scales, but only with the nested steel liners. This knife feels durable, light and stiff. I almost forgot - it cuts well too.

This knife is so good it is going to kick my EDC Military out of my pocket most of the time.

I'm going to order a spare.
djinnzfree

Post by djinnzfree »

Time is short.... we're already mid October... 2-1/2 month before PapaNoëL
A limited edition?
Yes or NO redo one of those passed?
With same or not handles?
Guts

Post by Guts »

SRT392HEMI wrote:
Mon Aug 29, 2022 7:41 pm
The comp lock is sooo good on my Sage 5, I would love some more sprint runs in it.
Absolutely this. My Sage 5 LW's compression lock is so good it puts my PM2's and PM3's to shame. It deserves a little more variety in colors and steels for sure.

That said, I'd love to see a ball bearing lock Sage series. Always wanted a "smaller" Manix and the Sage series are right in that sweet spot size for me.
:bug-red-white :bug-red :bug-white-red
aaronkb

Post by aaronkb »

Guts wrote:
Sun Oct 16, 2022 6:36 pm
SRT392HEMI wrote:
Mon Aug 29, 2022 7:41 pm
The comp lock is sooo good on my Sage 5, I would love some more sprint runs in it.
Absolutely this. My Sage 5 LW's compression lock is so good it puts my PM2's and PM3's to shame. It deserves a little more variety in colors and steels for sure.

That said, I'd love to see a ball bearing lock Sage series. Always wanted a "smaller" Manix and the Sage series are right in that sweet spot size for me.
Those are the exact two I’d love to see more versions of. My BHQ sage 5 lw is insanely good.
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

fixall wrote:

Looks great! Who made the scales?
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

abbazaba wrote:
Mon Aug 29, 2022 8:48 pm
BUT, the rebirth of the Sage1 got me thinking about a re-release of the Sage2 in a tool steel like 10v, or perhaps the Salt treatment in Magnacut?!? :cheap-sunglasses I freaking love the Sage2.
I might buy a Sage 5 at some point, although lately my interest has been in larger knives.

I would absolutely buy a Tool Steel or Magnacut Sage 2 as soon as it was available. I would probably buy a Sage 2 no matter what steel, tbh. There's one on eBay for $300 right now. Hmmm...
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
fixall

Post by fixall »

Enactive wrote:
Sun Oct 16, 2022 7:55 pm
fixall wrote:

Thanks! They were made by Spencer from Karbadize.
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

Sage 4 sprint!!! This back lock is special, and has a hidden stop pin to eliminate lock rock. This concept was later adopted in the Chaparral if I remember correctly.

I stupidly passed on an opportunity for a Sage 4 after they were discontinued. I will not make that same mistake again.
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Brock O Lee wrote:
Mon Oct 17, 2022 3:30 am
Sage 4 sprint!!! This back lock is special, and has a hidden stop pin to eliminate lock rock. This concept was later adopted in the Chaparral if I remember correctly.

I stupidly passed on an opportunity for a Sage 4 after they were discontinued. I will not make that same mistake again.
I did not know this about the Sage 4. The Chaparral lock is outstanding. Sprint run on the 4 would be irresistible.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

fixall wrote:
Mon Oct 17, 2022 3:01 am
Enactive wrote:
Sun Oct 16, 2022 7:55 pm
fixall wrote:

Thanks! They were made by Spencer from Karbadize.
Cool. Thanks. They look really nice.
Superflex

Post by Superflex »

Sage 6 with button lock and K390
Sage 7 with CBBL lock and Cruwear