How much of your collection do you regularly use?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
TSINGA

Re: How much of your collection do you regularly use?

Post by TSINGA »

I use one at a time but may rotate the one I use every few months. My needs for the day may trigger a switch in knives, like a Pacific Salt if I'm headed out fishing. Readily accessible in a drawer right now: PM2, DF2 Salt, Sage 1, UKPK Salt. Most of my knives are never used.
40mm

Post by 40mm »

I use 100% of my Spyderco collection 100% of the time.
ImageUntitled by Six Pound Cat, on Flickr
SRT392HEMI

Post by SRT392HEMI »

Think I have around 15 nice knives. Most get rotated daily, but a couple of the nicest ones are saved for special occasions. All are carried. Don't usually carry micarta scales if I plan on nasty work.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

I only use one. The rest are for R&D and also to look at and enjoy.
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I tend to stick with one for a while and then rotate. Some rarely if ever get used and all my tasks are light.

I’d say about half my knives are factory sharp or close to it (the ones I’m more afraid to sharpen lol). The rest varying degrees based on my hacky stone skills.
attila

Post by attila »

SpyderNut wrote:
Thu Sep 01, 2022 9:32 pm
If you don’t mind me asking, is that one a Rhino or something else?
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5
apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Post by apollo »

I carry about 40% to 50% of my collection.
I have rotation of 6 different Manixes wich i carry as main users alongside them i carry a wide variety of other depending on my needs. (Yojimbo 2,K2,Deshorn ,Ayoob,OG lil temperance,techno,Resilience,…)
If i am between the walls at work i carry my beaters like the polestar , astute , tenacious for example because frequently i need to cut things there that could severely damage the edge because its near metal all the time. :woozy
Roefisher

Post by Roefisher »

:
Last edited by Roefisher on Fri Sep 16, 2022 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“You just made me have a bowel movement in my britches, Garrett. I ain't gonna never forgive you for this.”
benben

Post by benben »

Regularly, probably 5 or 6 out of 30. Been thinking lately of having a purge!
Netherend

Post by Netherend »

All of them. I have no “safe queens”
Just one more knife...
kobold

Post by kobold »

About 50% of my folders I carry and use, and 25% I only use at home. The ratio is reversed for my fixed blades. Some of my knives are not used regularly because they are waiting to be sold, are too rare and too beautiful and I want to keep them in pristine condition, or serve a special purpose.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
anycal

Post by anycal »

Granted some are, at this point, collecting dust, I use/used them all.

Most used would be my medium knives, and pretty much all my Golden made ones.

Peter
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

I only carry one knife regularly (stupid local knife laws). I want to get a Chicagojimbo so I can regularly carry two knives. Honestly, the new Ayoob has me thinking about my collection. How many do I need? How many do I want? I think 6 is the perfect number for me. Some I carry, others I just admire, and some I keep in Texas where I visit for a month at a time.
CXXX

Post by CXXX »

Of my Spyderco's....
349 / 13 = 3.7%
The percent is up just a little bit because I just sold 36 Spyderco's last month.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

My entire protocol has changed a lot since I first joined this Forum back in 2004. There was a time that I only used about maybe 10% of all the knives I owned>> all of the rest of my collection were in a safe or in my big footlocker. But in the past 5 to 7 years I've done a complete turn-around. Lately in recent years I keep about 60% to 70% of my collection in the safe or in the footlocker. I now have a pretty good sized user rotation of blades I do use periodically.

I don't have near the interest in safe queens that I did at one time. I now find it more fascinating to see what each model has to offer when using it. Oh sure there are rare models that you should keep as a potential investment. But again I find it far more intriguing to put these great models to the test to see what they are capable of. How else are you going to know what they are good for?
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

attila wrote:
Fri Sep 02, 2022 1:35 am
SpyderNut wrote:
Thu Sep 01, 2022 9:32 pm
If you don’t mind me asking, is that one a Rhino or something else?
It’s pretty much limited to a Ladybug (VG-10). Most of the time, that’s really all I need. (Working in an office environment really cuts down on opportunities to use a knife, but I do use it around the house for various odds and ends).
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

I did not “collect” knives before our daughter left the house for college, but I had some fixies and some SAKs and she walked off with at least one of the latter. She uses SAKs still. I did something right.

Her son, now an actual boy with all the wonderful goofiness that implies, has a SAK, and an earlier Christmas got him a wooden Dragonfly, each from me. I don’t know where his goofiness will take him, but if one of his passions becomes knives, my Spydie collection will become his.

With a hand-off in mind, I finally feel free to call my haul a “collection”, and I have been enlarging it as my changing curiosities and earnings see fit.

And now I feel free to say that I currently use ALL THE SPYDIES I HAVE that interest me at the moment.

At the moment, these users are:

G2 Harpy
Superhawk
Wayne Goddard
Janich Yojimbo2
McGann Canis
M390 Read PITS
Cruwear Ayoob

This list will doubtless change as it encourages new questions that might be answered by some model in my collection or some new Spydie.
-Marc (pocketing an S30V Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”