C-60 Ayoob Campaign: No I Won't Shut Up

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ovgcguy

Re: C-60 Ayoob Campaign: No I Won't Shut Up

Post by ovgcguy »

Add me to the list of people with both edges. I liked the SE so much I decided to try the PE too. This is my first time with cruwear but so far I have to say I like it a lot

The action is silky smooth after adding some dry silicone lube.
blueblur

Post by blueblur »

SpyderGrill wrote:
Wed Aug 31, 2022 10:21 pm
Has anyone sharpened the SE yet? Im still on the fence of returning it. My sharpening skills are not good and Im wondering how this edge will look after being sharpened a few times. The two small teeth near the tip are pretty much non existent on the flat side. The start of the PE sticks out way past the serrated part and feels like a snag point. Will it get better after a few sharpenings?

I sharpened mine, but mostly the pe section. I really layed the angle back, to about 15 degrees. Some have said the pe section has been measured in the high 20’s (28 degrees?) and I believe it after seeing what mine looks like at 15 degrees. I really didn’t have a snaggle tooth though and if anything, the pe grind is so wide it kinda looks weird but I know it will perform way better now.

If that area does become a snag point, if you grind back the pe section enough it won’t be.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

My SE has that same serration everyone has pointed out. I’m inclined to think it’s as-designed and the maker is executing repeated and desired results (even if maybe not our own ideal style). It’s smooth as **** and freaky sharp.

Overall I’m thrilled. Thanks Sal & Co! I had to let the last Massad Ayoob sprint go during a financially difficult time, along with the orange Dodo and some others. I’m slowly buying back these lovely odd runs.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I'll be posting some thoughts and comparisons between this sprint and an original. Would you folks like it in this thread or in a new one? In other words how easily accessible do you want it in the future?
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Matus

Post by Matus »

I think starting a new thread would make more sense, make it easier to find later and also the following discussion would not get diluted by general Ayoob comments (that belong in this very thread).I am looking forward to your report :)
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
troutinCO

Post by troutinCO »

I agree with Matus. A new thread will be good.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Blerv wrote:
Fri Sep 02, 2022 1:25 am
My SE has that same serration everyone has pointed out. I’m inclined to think it’s as-designed and the maker is executing repeated and desired results (even if maybe not our own ideal style). It’s smooth as **** and freaky sharp.

Overall I’m thrilled. Thanks Sal & Co! I had to let the last Massad Ayoob sprint go during a financially difficult time, along with the orange Dodo and some others. I’m slowly buying back these lovely odd runs.
Blerv my SE, C-60 Ayoob Sprint Run does not have that odd type weird looking anomaly on the serration pattern. Mine looks as uniform as any other great full SE Spyderco model that I've ever owned over the years.

However this anomaly on the serration pattern does have me extremely curious as to what the root of the problem might be in the manufacturing process. And like 3 others brothers have said on this thread that the overall performance will not be affected. And mine is performing is admirably.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Evil D wrote:
Fri Sep 02, 2022 2:19 am
I'll be posting some thoughts and comparisons between this sprint and an original. Would you folks like it in this thread or in a new one? In other words how easily accessible do you want it in the future?
As long as it pertains to the new Sprint Run or any other Spyderco C-60 Ayoob model it is more than welcome in this thread as far as I'm concerned. It wouldn't even bother me if this thread is still going till the end of this year :smiling-heart-eyes

But on the other hand if the subject matter is exclusive to an older C-60 model ( especially the 2001-02 run) then maybe an alternate C-60 thread might be in order.

Most everything pertaining to the C-60 model(s) I find quite interesting. Because like the title says "I WON'T SHUT UP"!!
Evil D

C-60 Ayoob Campaign: No I Won't Shut Up

Post by Evil D »

JD Spydo wrote:
Fri Sep 02, 2022 9:35 am
Evil D wrote:
As long as it pertains to the new Sprint Run or any other Spyderco C-60 Ayoob model it is more than welcome in this thread as far as I'm concerned. It wouldn't even bother me if this thread is still going till the end of this year :smiling-heart-eyes

But on the other hand if the subject matter is exclusive to an older C-60 model ( especially the 2001-02 run) then maybe an alternate C-60 thread might be in order.

Most everything pertaining to the C-60 model(s) I find quite interesting. Because like the title says "I WON'T SHUT UP"!!

Well, I don't think my thoughts are any better than anyone else's but at 127 pages it's already a pain to find anything particular in this thread, I was just trying to find the first pics of the wonky serrations and it took a good few minutes of skipping through pages to find it.

Maybe I can add a title to the post and make it easier to find in a search? Does that even work?

Hmm....let's try it with this post.

EDIT: Nope not really.
Last edited by Evil D on Fri Sep 02, 2022 10:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
~David
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I did find this thread while trying to search for my post. Seems even more relevant now and should be referenced here.

C60 Massad Ayoob- 3 year review w/ 20+ pics
viewtopic.php?t=45380#p609057
~David
JD Spydo

Re: C-60 Massad Ayoob Comparison Pics

Post by JD Spydo »

Evil D wrote:
Fri Sep 02, 2022 9:42 am
JD Spydo wrote:
Fri Sep 02, 2022 9:35 am
Evil D wrote:

Well, I don't think my thoughts are any better than anyone else's but at 127 pages it's already a pain to find anything particular in this thread, I was just trying to find the first pics of the wonky serrations and it took a good few minutes of skipping through pages to find it.

Maybe I can add a title to the post and make it easier to find in a search? Does that even work?

Hmm....let's try it with this post.

EDIT: Nope not really.
NO David your input is always very informative. And I do agree that when these threads exceed 75 pages or so they do get rather difficult to find certain items that had been previously discussed.

Sometimes the search bar does help to look up stuff and other times it just seems to dig a deeper hole so to speak. But at least this thread is good for any recent developments.

The funky serration problem is truly a head scratcher. Especially with a Japanese maker. They normally are very good in the quality control aspects. It's now making me wonder how many different batches they might have done of these Cruwear C-60 models?
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

For what it’s worth, I searched for your post and it was the first result I got. Even searching without the word “pics” found the post.
46802015-935D-430F-A4A6-82B401CFC1F6.jpeg
-Nick :bug-red
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Mushroom wrote:
Fri Sep 02, 2022 9:57 am
For what it’s worth, I searched for your post and it was the first result I got. Even searching without the word “pics” found the post.

That's quite interesting>> maybe the less words you use the better the results?

What I've found interesting about the C-60 Full SE Sprint Run is that it's the only full SE Spyderco model I ever remember anyone complaining about quality problems with any fully serrated Spyderco model that I can ever recall. And my memory goes back quite a long time on that subject.
jwbnyc

Post by jwbnyc »

Been fooling around with mine and there is nothing to complain about for me. Probably the best built Spydercos I have, certainly among the best at least. No snaggletooth either. Both the SE AND PE will push cut paper towel, so no problem with the edges whatsoever. Pretty dang happy with them. Thanks JD and Sal, et al, for making them happen.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

jwbnyc wrote:
Fri Sep 02, 2022 10:10 am
Been fooling around with mine and there is nothing to complain about for me. Probably the best built Spydercos I have, certainly among the best at least. No snaggletooth either. Both the SE AND PE will push cut paper towel, so no problem with the edges whatsoever. Pretty dang happy with them. Thanks JD and Sal, et al, for making them happen.
You are quite welcome and I hope we can continue to resurrect more GOLDEN ERA models with upgraded blade steels and handle materials as well.

I haven't heard even one valid complaint with this C-60 Cruwear Ayoob Sprint Run except the appearance problem with some of the serrated models. and again I doubt if that will affect the performance at all.
Last edited by JD Spydo on Fri Sep 02, 2022 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Mushroom wrote:
Fri Sep 02, 2022 9:57 am

Ok good so a forum search will work, I did a Google search.
~David
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

How does this knife compare to Golden backlocks? I've heard nothing but good things about them, but I've never owned or handled one of them. The C-60, in my opinion, is a big step up from the Seki models I own.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

p_atrick wrote:
Fri Sep 02, 2022 12:59 pm
How does this knife compare to Golden backlocks? I've heard nothing but good things about them, but I've never owned or handled one of them. The C-60, in my opinion, is a big step up from the Seki models I own.

I can't overstate this....it's as good or better than any lock I've ever "wiggled". It may as well be a fixed blade when it's opened...it's that tight. Maybe that'll change over time, I dunno. My original has a tiny bit of vertical lock rock but not a hint of side to side play, the sprint is just ridiculous. The only other back lock I've handled that compares are the Native 5's.
~David
zuludelta

Post by zuludelta »

My Ayoob came in today... I never buy knives before I've had the chance to handle them in person & I am doing my best to avoid buying sprints, but the enthusiasm for the model expressed in this forum convinced me to order one. Seeing the name "Massad Ayoob" also triggered (ha ha) dormant, happy childhood memories of sneaking into my uncle's room & I reading his copies of Guns & Ammo and American Handgunner (he hated it when I'd get them all out of chronological order LOL). So I figured, "why the **** not?"

First impressions: I like it a lot, it handles a lot like the Introvert (pictured below).
20220902_133112.jpg
There was some grittiness on the initial open, but some 3-in-1oil & a few openings & closings cleared it up, no problem. Grinds are even, backspacer fits flush, lock feels rock-solid, no wiggle or blade play.
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

Evil D wrote:
Fri Sep 02, 2022 1:25 pm
I can't overstate this....it's as good or better than any lock I've ever "wiggled".

That's been my impression as well, but I couldn't compare it to the Golden models. Glad to know I'm not the only one thinking this. This really is an amazing knife. I had mixed feelings about the lack of hollow grind. Really glad I got one. I'm reconsidering other knives in my collection. Except for you Sage 2, I heart you!