Vehicle knife

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
akapennypincher

Re: Vehicle knife

Post by akapennypincher »

legOFwhat? wrote:
Thu Sep 01, 2022 1:57 pm
I always recommend the Byrd rescue2 for such occasions. Under $40 and razor sharp!
Ditto.👍
Burton Knut

Post by Burton Knut »

Aqua Salt SE and a Leatherman
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

Spyderco Assist Salt H-1

"Its blunt tip safely slides under seat belts, clothing, and other materials and will not puncture flotation gear, while its SpyderEdge provides extreme cutting performance that easily powers through even the toughest materials. The Assist Salt’s bright yellow handle is injection molded from tough fiberglass-reinforced nylon and has both a Bi-Directional Texture™ pattern and finger grooves to guarantee a secure grip. The finger grooves also provide a solid purchase that enables the blade to “scissor cut” rope much like a cigar cutter. Squeeze the Assist Salt’s closed blade and a retractable carbide glass breaker extends from the butt end of the handle to safely and efficiently break windows. A built-in survival whistle, sturdy back lock mechanism, and a reversible wire pocket clip round out the knife’s features and ensure convenient carry and completely ambidextrous operation."

Last edited by RamZar on Thu Sep 01, 2022 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

I’ve kept a BBS-exclusive M4 Manix2 in my truck for years (I live in small-town New Hampshire where infringement is not an issue).

When this Spydie was once my absolute favorite, I finally got a pre-need replacement that I keep in my safe. I mention this because stuff in vehicles can be made to disappear. Never grow too attached to your vehicle knife, just in case.
-Marc (pocketing an S30V Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

RamZar wrote:
Thu Sep 01, 2022 3:58 pm
Spyderco Assist Salt H-1

"ts blunt tip safely slides under seat belts, clothing, and other materials and will not puncture flotation gear, while its SpyderEdge provides extreme cutting performance that easily powers through even the toughest materials [like seat belts]. The Assist Salt’s bright yellow handle is injection molded from tough fiberglass-reinforced nylon and has both a Bi-Directional Texture™ pattern and finger grooves to guarantee a secure grip. The finger grooves also provide a solid purchase that enables the blade to “scissor cut” rope much like a cigar cutter. Squeeze the Assist Salt’s closed blade and a retractable carbide glass breaker extends from the butt end of the handle to safely and efficiently break windows. A built-in survival whistle, sturdy back lock mechanism, and a reversible wire pocket clip round out the knife’s features and ensure convenient carry and completely ambidextrous operation."

Thanks! Now I "need" one.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
zuludelta

Post by zuludelta »

I used to keep a Byrd Cara Cara in my glovebox but have since replaced it with a serrated Byrd Meadowlark 2 Wharncliffe: easy to replace, and perfect for cutting through straps. I also keep a Becker BK3 in my car, but it's really more of a breakout tool than a knife in this case.
Caz

Post by Caz »

Manbug. In driver seat cushion.
Albertaboyscott

Post by Albertaboyscott »

I'm also agreeing with a Mora for vehicle. More than enough knife and sooooooo inexpensive
embry386

Post by embry386 »

For a vehicle knife, the primary use case I consider is to cut yourself out of tangled and or broken seatbelts, should the car flip over, or catch on fire, or get caught in a flood: and therefore some kind of serrated sheepsfoot blade is best (so you can cut the seatbelts without injuring yourself). For car repair scenarios requiring screwdrivers and such, I would rather buy a cheap toolset than rely on a multitool knife. For car breakdowns in the woods, where you'd have to camp out for a day or two before help arrives, maybe a sturdy fixed blade would be nice to have too. But I think a scenario that requires me to cut a seatbelt is most likely.

Spyderco manufacturers several serrated sheepsfoot knives you may want to consider:
Byrd Cara Cara Rescue (cheap)
Atlantic Salt (rustproof)
Assist Salt (includes glassbreaker, which is nice in car-wreck scenarios)
Rescue 3 (flat-ground)
Pacific Salt (not quite a sheepsfoot, but shaped blunt and round at the tip in a similar way; also more versatile because it has a belly)
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

Shmohawk wrote:
Thu Sep 01, 2022 12:25 pm
Something for emergency use, self defense if necessary

Let's break it down. What's the most likely scenario where you would want the knife to defend yourself?

Someone outside the car pounding on the window?
Drive away.

Someone standing outside the car, holding a pistol to your head?
Not a good time to whip it out and pretend you're Crocodile Dundee.

Someone outside the car acting aggressively and you can't drive away?
Roll up the window.

Someone outside the car punching you through the window and you can't drive away?
Fiddling with your folder might be sub-optimum. At that moment in time, you might be wishing for a fixed blade at your right side. Lateral movement is limited, so you might be wanting a blade that has some stabby qualities as well as slicey. And when the opportunity arises, drive away.

Someone hops into the passenger seat and doesn't have a gun or knife on you?
Get out of the car and yell mean things about their mother as you run away.
I always like the movie scene where the good guy runs the car into a tree, the airbag protects him, and the bad guy goes flying through the windshield. As cool as it looks, you probably don't want to do that. Best case, your insurance premiums are going to skyrocket.

I don't carry a knife like that, and I've ever even stuck an attacker. But if I did, the two knives in the Spyderco lineup that look like they have potential are the Ronin and the Street Beat.

James Y

Post by James Y »

I don't keep any knife or multi-tool in my car. The only knives I have in my car are whatever knives I'm carrying on my person.

Many years ago, I used to keep an original Leatherman Wave in the glove box. One night, someone broke into my locked car and stole the Leatherman, the only thing they took besides a cheap cardboard windowshade. I no longer own that car, but I've never kept any multi-tool or knife in any car since.

If I ever did get a dedicated car knife, I would probably get one of the serrated Byrd models for that purpose.

Jim
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

I had my truck stolen out of my driveway years ago ( my fault ) and lost a valuable Spyderco after recovering the truck . My vehicle knives are what goes in the truck with me and out with me getting out . I do carry emergency glass breaker hammer . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

JSumm wrote:
Thu Sep 01, 2022 4:05 pm
RamZar wrote:
Thu Sep 01, 2022 3:58 pm
Spyderco Assist Salt H-1

"ts blunt tip safely slides under seat belts, clothing, and other materials and will not puncture flotation gear, while its SpyderEdge provides extreme cutting performance that easily powers through even the toughest materials [like seat belts]. The Assist Salt’s bright yellow handle is injection molded from tough fiberglass-reinforced nylon and has both a Bi-Directional Texture™ pattern and finger grooves to guarantee a secure grip. The finger grooves also provide a solid purchase that enables the blade to “scissor cut” rope much like a cigar cutter. Squeeze the Assist Salt’s closed blade and a retractable carbide glass breaker extends from the butt end of the handle to safely and efficiently break windows. A built-in survival whistle, sturdy back lock mechanism, and a reversible wire pocket clip round out the knife’s features and ensure convenient carry and completely ambidextrous operation."

Thanks! Now I "need" one.
Yes, you do.

The problem with the Assist reveals itself if you have more than one vehicle and you leave it in the wrong one.

My solution now is to put my VG10 Assist in a general-outing bag that I’ll sling when it looks like I’ll be out for the day in whatever vehicle.
-Marc (pocketing an S30V Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
jegred2

Post by jegred2 »

Never tell anyone or have in writing that a knife is for self defense. There are a lot of prosecutors that would try to victim blame you and jail you for life. Just look at the ringer they tried to run that bodega clerk through in New York.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I never lock my vehicles so nothing of value. I have kept the same $12 Mora in my drivers door for many years.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
blueblur

Post by blueblur »

I keep an orange handle assist for emergencies (out of sight) and a cheapo Bowie knife under the seat in case I need something large. If I used it more I wouldn’t hesitate to upgrade it to a se aqua salt or jumpmaster.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I think ya'll think a little too much about it and look for reasons for more knives!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Thu Sep 01, 2022 8:47 pm
I think ya'll think a little too much about it and look for reasons for more knives!
and...?
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Just seems like I see a lot of, I carry this knife for running, that knife for self defense, this knife for cutting a cucumber, that knife for rope, etc. I honestly feel like any one knife should be able to accomplish almost anything (corrosion resistance playing a major factor in some things of course)

I, at one point found myself thinking I needed something for every situation imageable...no matter how unlikely, and began to find it pointless. Whatever knife already in pocket should handle just about any task needed as long as you can maintain a sharp edge.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
RevMike

Post by RevMike »

Far more important than what knife you have in your vehicle is how and where it is secured. Whenever this discussion comes up everyone speaks to the virtues of individual knives but skips a very practical consideration.

Sure some knives have seatbelt cutters, glass breakers, blunt tips, and plenty of other useful goodies that make them perfect for this scenario but picture this...

You've crashed. The hypothetical situation can be as bad as you choose to imagine. Are you upside-down, on fire, in a body of water? Sounds like time to cut the seat belt and make good your escape. Wait. Where is your knife. Was it in the glove box, center console, door compartment?

The bad news is that unless it was in your pocket or well secured somewhere it just received the same treatment as the balls in a bingo cage. If it's even still in the car it's probably not where you last saw it or even somewhere you can reach it. Factor in the disorientation, stress, possible injury, and possible time constraints.

Not comfortable to think about. Right?

To be quite honest I would say that the best bet, to go along with the knife in everyone's pocket, is something called a resqme tool attached to the key in the ignition.

That said there is a Spyderco Assist Salt and a Benchmade 916 Triage in every one of my vehicles. Any knife you have and can find when you need it will do but these two are arguably the best.

Now it's up to you based on your vehicle and knife of choice to figure out how to secure one where it will be at hand, when you need it, no matter what happens.

Much like all prepping-type topics people have a good time with the wild scenarios like total failure of the government, or hordes of zombies, and don't think nearly enough about the more probable occurrences like a flat tire at 1am.

Oh... and what RustyIron said about the self defense part.
404 :bug-red-white s in 81 steel flavors.