C-60 Ayoob Campaign: No I Won't Shut Up

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Bdubs808

Re: C-60 Ayoob Campaign: No I Won't Shut Up

Post by Bdubs808 »

After a full day of playing around with this PE Ayoob, I realize that this is a knife I didn't know I needed. It's wicked and elegant at the same time. The fantasy nerd/mall ninja in me loves the aesthetic and the normal knife afi in me can really appreciate the fit and finish of this piece. Good stuff for sure.
troutinCO

Post by troutinCO »

Bdubs808 wrote:
Tue Aug 30, 2022 7:29 pm
After a full day of playing around with this PE Ayoob, I realize that this is a knife I didn't know I needed. It's wicked and elegant at the same time. The fantasy nerd/mall ninja in me loves the aesthetic and the normal knife afi in me can really appreciate the fit and finish of this piece. Good stuff for sure.
This is what I keep saying too.
Capt'n Boatsalot

Post by Capt'n Boatsalot »

I've been carrying my SE version almost exclusively since I received it a few weeks ago, except when I need to carry something a little less... Stressful to the casual observer (or my family, which will definitely recognize this as a "new knife").

A few thoughts...

Serrations. These are pretty mellow or shallow. Different than the fairly sharp serrations on my Military in 440V. Mine absolutely tore through some plastic packaging. Impressive. Mine has a bit of a snaggletooth (imo, the angle of this picture makes it look more significant than I think it is in real life), and I would also say the two small serrations near the tip are not super well defined. I'm good with them though. This thing does want to cut.

Handle / Ergos. I like the pistol grip, and the length of the finger grooves is about perfect for me. I typically hold and use it using the rear position, and can choke up using the front finger groove. Works well for me. I totally dig the extreme negative angle, both the short throw on opening and the way that the angle really pulls the material into the serrations. Someone several pages ago said it was like a hawkbill in that manner - that the orientation of the handle to blade pulls the material in. Couldn't agree more.

Fit and Finish. Ok, this is the crowning achievement of this knife to me. The full liners and perfectly dialed in lockback (right out of the box) are great. It's got great action. Very crisp. Everything moves and snaps into place with authority. Mine even seems to have what on a traditional would be called a half stop where the blade won't drop past 90 deg when the lockbar is released (and it smoothly drops to exactly this point everytime). Not sure if this is intentional or not (assume not), but I am a fan. Ensures that I don't get bit on closing. (I have also checked to be sure that as long as my index finger can feel the front groove point, then the sharp bits will not take a bite of my finger.)

Carry. I definitely like the thinness of this knife, and combined with a backlock, there's still decent surface area when making hard cuts. I'm carrying tip down, as it came from the factory, and it's great. I wouldn't say I love the "dolphin nose" around the spydie hole, but the benefit is that the overall profile of the knife is smaller. Without that profile the knife would be much taller in the pocket, and not nearly as easy to carry.

As Mark noted above, the shade and texture of this G10 is spot on!

Wouldn't have taken the plunge on this until I got the whole scoop on the makers' "rains" from Sal. Plus some info from other forummites on how it performed in a ETC role.

Overall, this is definitely a knife that I didn't know I needed. But I am sure glad I got it. Serrated tool steel in a unique profile, and with a great back story to boot. Not much to complain about from my end. I'm glad it's different (in a good way) from my more mainstream Spydercos (not sure that is even a thing). Nice work JD pushing this clear across the finish line (and then some). And of course thanks to Spyderco and the maker for making the tough pieces that are not an obvious insta-sellout.

MNOSD member 0030
ovgcguy

Post by ovgcguy »

Anyone know if this clip fits?
https://www.lynchnw.com/clips/spyderco- ... anium-clip

Or can someone link me the clip that fits? Preferably a shorty or wire clip.
troutinCO

Post by troutinCO »

The standard lynch clip fits fine. The long version will as well due to the same hole pattern. The Lynch screws DO NOT fit so you must reuse the screws that came with the knife. The wire clip either from spyderco or from lynch will not work. https://www.lynchnw.com/clips/spyderco- ... anium-clip
Here is a sandwashed one on mine. I had a blacksmith one as well on there.
lsdf.jpg
VipeX

Post by VipeX »

In-stock at W&W!
Attachments
Screenshot_2022-08-31-18-46-29-75_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg
jwbnyc

Post by jwbnyc »

I’m surprised we haven’t seen this at DLT yet.
Laphroaig9

Post by Laphroaig9 »

Are they really all sold out? Everywhere?

Anyone know how many were actually produced?

Michael
VipeX

Post by VipeX »

VipeX wrote:
Wed Aug 31, 2022 4:47 pm
In-stock at W&W!
PE sold out
7 SE left
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

Can anyone with info please let us know when DLT will drop their stocks? I think I'm about 80-90% decided on getting one of these, and DLT is the only store where I still have significant store points to offset the cost of getting one.
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
TheGiant80

Post by TheGiant80 »

The one day I'm not able to check obsessively if my retailer got the Ayoob and it arrives and the PE promptly sells out.

Perrrrrrfect!

EDIT: SE still available. Pulled the trigger after all. Stoked!!
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

Laphroaig9 wrote:
Wed Aug 31, 2022 5:44 pm
Are they really all sold out? Everywhere?

Anyone know how many were actually produced?

Michael
These are the current options. There are still a bunch of dealers that haven't put any up yet.

KnifeWorld:
PlainEdge... https://knifeworldwv.com/product/c60gpg ... print-run/

North River Outdoors (Priced slightly higher. If you have an account and leave it in your cart, they will email you a 5% coupon code after a while, but it will still be a couple bucks over MAP):
PlainEdge... https://www.northriveroutdoors.com/prod ... pm-cruwear

Sooner State Knives (Not on the Dealer Locator List?):
SpyderEdge is towards the bottom of this page... http://www.soonerstateknives.com/newitems.html
Last edited by Buddafucco on Fri Sep 09, 2022 10:43 am, edited 4 times in total.
•• Beau
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

Double post
•• Beau
Frozenspyder

Post by Frozenspyder »

Just got mine yesterday from Sooner State Knives. Everything went smooth and I have no complaints.
SpyderGrill

Post by SpyderGrill »

Has anyone sharpened the SE yet? Im still on the fence of returning it. My sharpening skills are not good and Im wondering how this edge will look after being sharpened a few times. The two small teeth near the tip are pretty much non existent on the flat side. The start of the PE sticks out way past the serrated part and feels like a snag point. Will it get better after a few sharpenings?

JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

JRinFL wrote:
Tue Aug 30, 2022 1:39 pm
This has been covered and re-covered before. There is a wise spread issue with the serrations and Sal mentioned that it was a difficult project to get completed at all. We need to accept this one as it is and to trust Spyderco to improve on future projects with this maker.
That's a darn good point you just made and one that everyone here needs to consider. Because it was Sal's kindness and appreciation for older models that helped us to make this great Sprint Run a reality.

Personally I'm extremely grateful for all he has done and accomplished. It's been extremely awesome to see this project come to fruition.
Last edited by JD Spydo on Thu Sep 01, 2022 4:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

VipeX wrote:
Wed Aug 31, 2022 7:06 pm
VipeX wrote:
Wed Aug 31, 2022 4:47 pm
In-stock at W&W!
PE sold out
7 SE left
Here this has been going on for 2 to 3 weeks now and the C-60 Ayoob Sprint Run are still selling like tickets to a NASCAR event.

I don't think any dealer is going to have to worry about having too much inventory left over. I think it's fait to say that this has been a really enthusiastic success so far. And as good as this serrated version is I'm doubtful if there will be any SE models remaining on the shelves either.

I'm convinced that at least 80% of the guys that order this C-60 Sprint Run will end up with both edge types. I think it's a very safe bet.
TheGiant80

Post by TheGiant80 »

troutinCO wrote:
Wed Aug 31, 2022 9:29 am
The standard lynch clip fits fine. The long version will as well due to the same hole pattern. The Lynch screws DO NOT fit so you must reuse the screws that came with the knife. The wire clip either from spyderco or from lynch will not work.
Thank you for this info (especially regarding the screws)! I happen to have a long clip coming from Lynch that I ordered for another knife, but I'm going to try it on the Ayoob instead.
DLTJordan

Post by DLTJordan »

For those curious - I spoke to our product guy - those are in line for processing and should go up before the weekend.
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

DLTJordan wrote:
Thu Sep 01, 2022 12:09 pm
For those curious - I spoke to our product guy - those are in line for processing and should go up before the weekend.

Thank you! Just the exact person to answer my queries. Looking forward to your drop, and hoping you have enough stocks of both edges to last at least the weekend.
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet