2022 P.I.T.S Sprint!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Matus

Re: 2022 P.I.T.S Sprint!

Post by Matus »

ChrisinHove wrote:
Sun Aug 28, 2022 5:17 am
The Brouwer is certainly better for my XL hands. It’s very a different beast from the PITS, though.
Could you maybe post a photo or two of these two side by side? I used to have a Brouwer, liked it a lot, then eventually sold it as it was not a legal carry here in DE. I would be very curios how the blades compare. The Brouwer always felt a little too thick (given its size) and was not the best slicer.
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Matus wrote:
Sun Aug 28, 2022 5:25 am
ChrisinHove wrote:
Sun Aug 28, 2022 5:17 am
The Brouwer is certainly better for my XL hands. It’s very a different beast from the PITS, though.
Could you maybe post a photo or two of these two side by side? I used to have a Brouwer, liked it a lot, then eventually sold it as it was not a legal carry here in DE. I would be very curios how the blades compare. The Brouwer always felt a little too thick (given its size) and was not the best slicer.
I no longer have the PITS, I’m afraid. Tbh I found the handle a little snug.

The Brouwer *is* a lot of handle for the blade, but perfect both for my hands and for when I need a people friendly carry. A CF flytanium scale without liner and Ti clip also reduce it’s weight considerably.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

the brouwer is one i definitely wanted once i noticed it, but didn't snag one in time. pretty cool little knife. reminds me of a nice version of the esee zancudo.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Sildani

Post by Sildani »

Well, here’s some pics. Please note my Brouwer is a factory second… not sure why, looks perfect to me… but in case it’s not all it could be in terms of finishing.

https://imgur.com/a/pfPT1ww
Matus

Post by Matus »

ChrisinHove wrote: I no longer have the PITS, I’m afraid. Tbh I found the handle a little snug.

The Brouwer *is* a lot of handle for the blade, but perfect both for my hands and for when I need a people friendly carry. A CF flytanium scale without liner and Ti clip also reduce it’s weight considerably.
Yep, Brouwer was always a hidden gem - great in hand and super smooth in operation.
Sildani wrote: Well, here’s some pics. Please note my Brouwer is a factory second… not sure why, looks perfect to me… but in case it’s not all it could be in terms of finishing.

https://imgur.com/a/pfPT1ww
Thanks a lot! I like to see that the PITS has a much thinner tip.
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
dlum1

Post by dlum1 »

I think this may be my favorite knife. I missed the opportunity to buy the original Ti blue version, but I think this version's stonewash finish is better. The upgrade from n690 to m390 is particularly nice. It also has my favorite blade shape -- something in common with some other Spyderco favorites (i.e., military and GB2). This thing just oozes quality and craftsmanship. It's surprising how such a nice piece needed to be discontinued. I'm glad spyderco reran it as a sprint.
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

Just ordered my first Spydie in nearly a year...

I've always liked this model but was originally put-off by the blade steel (N690), the blue anodization and then the huge ricasso...

Since two out of three were remedied on this release and to my surprise it was still available several places this morning, I felt like I needed to pull the trigger. I'm looking forward to its arrival!
So it goes.
Ranger_Ike

Post by Ranger_Ike »

Congratulations!
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

Well my PITS arrived this evening and while it's a neat knife, it's probably going to be the first knife I've ever returned.

The blade is very clearly warped, the action is stiff but tolerable after the blade play is adjusted out and it does have the unfinished tabs in the lockbar cut out that were mentioned in the other thread.

I wouldn't mind the notches or having to break-in the action, but the warped blade for $280 is hard to swallow. Unfortunately the dealer I bought it from is now sold out, so an exchange most likely won't be possible. This is the second Maniago Spyderco I've purchased and it will probably be the last...

So it goes.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Airslee,

Sorry for your disappointment. You might check with customer service in Golden to see if we might have any left that we might be able to trade you?

sal
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

Thanks Sal,

I'll contact Golden before submitting a return request with the dealer, hopefully they might have one available.
So it goes.
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

Oh man, mine is scheduled to arrive Thursday. I think I'm with you, lots of little niggles I can live with but that warp.... Hope you can get this solved with Golden.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Airlsee wrote:
Tue Sep 06, 2022 9:27 pm
Thanks Sal,

I'll contact Golden before submitting a return request with the dealer, hopefully they might have one available.
I know Sooner State Knives has at least one in stock. There are likely a few other sellers with stock on hand.

A note to remember, while they are made in Italy all the final QC is done in Golden. The seconds sale is proof that every location makes a few less than perfect examples. Sometimes QC misses a few that should have been put in the seconds pile.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
rashman

Post by rashman »

been on the fence since the drop, but this forum is dangerous!
finally took the leap and ordered one over the long weekend, haven’t got the shipping notice as of yet.
excitement has been building daily - lol
taking comfort in the knowledge that the vendor / spyderco will take care of me if a dud arrives.
bummer on the warp Airlsee - it’s an amazing warp tho!

edit - just got shipping notice - in route
current fav’s: K390 SS Stretch, PM2 CruWear Mircata, P.I.T.S., Subway Bowie
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

Wow, finally was able to pick mine up today. I'm so sorry Airslee that yours wasn't up to snuff. I really hope you get a replacement because this is an amazing knife. Mine does have a couple of those little tags where the back spring cutting was just a little off. I may leave those as you have to really look for them to find them. Such a great design. Such a great size for my medium hands. It may not leave my pocket until the the Spydie Magnacut N5 actually arrives. I can't say enough good things about this. I think if Sal were to make a back lock version it would be tough to keep in stock. I would love to know what the the HRC is on the M390 but I trust Spyderco to have taken care of any early issues with this steel.
Stas

Post by Stas »

Tempted to get one but the prices for the examples still available in EU are P.I.T.A.
Recent favourites: Massad Ayoob CPM CRU-WEAR PE & SE, Yojimbo 2, Lil' Temperance 3.
rashman

Post by rashman »

Sorry to say, but I got a wonky one too.
It had the same snip point on the show side of the titanium spring as others have shown.
The opposite side of the spring was really rough on the ‘lock bar’ area, thought it was polishing compound and after cleaning was unfinished and rough. I could live with that, but the kicker was the pivot- the show side had twice the lobes and looked to been a tool skip or over twist and jump.
Reached out to the vendor, we are doing an exchange.
I really liked the design, size & weight - but at $280 I honestly expected better quality control.
Never experienced this on a Golden Sprint.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

It’s not a Golden sprint. It’s made in Italy and final QC is done in Golden.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
rashman

Post by rashman »

JRinFL wrote:
Wed Sep 14, 2022 7:41 pm
It’s not a Golden sprint. It’s made in Italy and final QC is done in Golden.
yes, i should have phrased that better
CDEP

Post by CDEP »

Just got mine today. I can legally carry a locking knife, but this will definitely get pocket time. Just an absolutely brilliant design with great execution by the gang in Italy. The safest SJ I have, for sure. Great steel, great blade shape, under 3" and can be deployed and secured easily with one hand. Solid ergos, of course. I did have to give it a bit of tuning, but had it perfect in just a couple of minutes.

If I lived in the UK I'd sell whatever I had to in order to get this. Pricey, but worth it.
Brian