Odds of PM1 with Magnacut?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Mugman16

Odds of PM1 with Magnacut?

Post by Mugman16 »

Would be a dream grail knife, though I feel it's unlikely Spyderco would do this as they seem to hate the PM1. I'd settle for a PM2 Magna, is there a reason for the lack of Magnacut in Spyderco lineup?
Mushroom

Re: Odds of PM1 with Magnacut?

Post by Mushroom »

Unfortunately, there is probably a zero percent chance of that happening.

They don’t hate the original Paramilitary, they just improved and replaced it with the Paramilitary 2.

Spyderco is taking their time with Magnacut to optimize the heat treat and assure they can maximize the steels potential.
-Nick :bug-red
apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Post by apollo »

Spyderco does not hate there old designs.
But since they evolve they rather not go back.

Myself and a few others would love to see the Original Manix with its thicker blade , full steel liners and lockback return. Not that there is anything wrong with the current Manix versions ( also love them so much ) but those Originals are just the Kings of Spyderco's heavy use designs and we just love them more they really give that indestructable feeling.
But allas those days, like the one of you're pm1 are over. And i fear we need to cherish the one's we have because Spyderco is not going to make them anymore.
GreyHounds for life :smiling-heart-eyes
benben

Post by benben »

Funny, and it’s been years but I carried my PM1 yesterday. I’m sure I’m one of the very lone few but I never got the whole improvement thing with the PM2. Bigger….sure, but improved?

I’m sure this is grounds for dismissal around here….
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

benben wrote: Funny, and it’s been years but I carried my PM1 yesterday. I’m sure I’m one of the very lone few but I never got the whole improvement thing with the PM2. Bigger….sure, but improved?

For the most part, it comes down almost purely to personal preference.

The whole cockpit area of the PM2, when closed, is significantly improved though. It’s much more streamlined and doesn’t look like an afterthought anymore. The PM2 also uses a new 4-position pocket clip and sits better in the pocket. It has a bigger choil, better blade to handle ratio, and in my opinion just flat out looks better.

If it’s not improved, what is it about the original that’s better than the Paramilitary 2?
-Nick :bug-red
benben

Post by benben »

Mushroom wrote:
Mon Aug 29, 2022 6:46 am
benben wrote: Funny, and it’s been years but I carried my PM1 yesterday. I’m sure I’m one of the very lone few but I never got the whole improvement thing with the PM2. Bigger….sure, but improved?

For the most part, it comes down almost purely to personal preference.

The whole cockpit area of the PM2, when closed, is significantly improved though. It’s much more streamlined and doesn’t look like an afterthought anymore. The PM2 also uses a new 4-position pocket clip and sits better in the pocket. It has a bigger choil, better blade to handle ratio, and in my opinion just flat out looks better.

If it’s not improved, what is it about the original that’s better than the Paramilitary 2?
Like you said, personal preference. My old PM1 fits my hand like Sal and crew made it just for me! And I agree with everything you just said, I get it, but the PM1 just fits me better!
vivi

Post by vivi »

benben wrote:
Mon Aug 29, 2022 5:15 am
Funny, and it’s been years but I carried my PM1 yesterday. I’m sure I’m one of the very lone few but I never got the whole improvement thing with the PM2. Bigger….sure, but improved?

I carried the PM1 and PM2 each quite a bit. Even modded a Para 1 so I could grip it behind the choil and carry it tip up (wire clip in fact!).

This was prior to the handle mod.

Anyways, personally I felt the PM2 was a dramatic improvement over the original, and as soon as I held it I wished for the exact same changes to be applied to the Military.

Some things I felt improved:

- 4 way clip. No mods required to carry tip up the way I like.

- Longer blade. PM2 is smaller than I'd want to carry these days, PM1 even more so.

- Better choil. I compared the two choils side by side and the deeper PM2 style one works much better for my grip.

- Better action. The old compression lock Spydercos like the PM1 and Yojimbo 1 felt like that had more drag when opening and closing vs never comp lock designs.

- Vastly improved behind the choil ergonomics. I had to sand down the pinky hook on my PM1 to be able to barely get a full grip behind the choil. Personally it drove me crazy being forced into the index choil considering the knifes large closed size. While the PM2 isn't perfectly sized for all day cutting gripped behind the choil, out of the box that grip worked well for me.

- DLC option. Don't think the original ever had a DLC release. DLC PM2 is the knife that showed me how much coatings can help keep rust at bay. All the uncoated internals were coated in thick layers of rust while the blade stayed pristine.

The in the choil grip was nice on the PM1, but for my hands even better on the PM2. But I don't think I'll ever carry a knife with a choil that's so small I can't grip behind it. Just my preference. I'd rather carry a design like a Tenacious without a choil than one like a Caly 3 where I have to use the choil for a full grip.
:unicorn
benben

Post by benben »

Oh I get everything you’re saying vivi, the difference is our hand sizes, I can get a full solid grip on the PM1, with or without the choil. Again, all personal.

I never really got into the PM2 craze, never owned one until a couple years ago, bought two exclusives out of a guys huge collection, a Green 204P and a Red M390. I’m going to sell them both cause they never get carried or used! Super nice knives though….and they’re both slicker than my PM1.
vivi

Post by vivi »

benben wrote:
Mon Aug 29, 2022 11:06 am
Oh I get everything you’re saying vivi, the difference is our hand sizes, I can get a full solid grip on the PM1, with or without the choil. Again, all personal.

I never really got into the PM2 craze, never owned one until a couple years ago, bought two exclusives out of a guys huge collection, a Green 204P and a Red M390. I’m going to sell them both cause they never get carried or used! Super nice knives though….and they’re both slicker than my PM1.
I could see preferring the PM1 over the 2 if you're the type that uses index choils more often than not.

The PM2 occupies a weird spot in my knife collecting history. I carried a DLC for about 5 years as my dedicated work knife. But I ended up selling it, and every other PM2 I've bought since. Got a dirt cheap DLC seconds from the online sale but holding it I knew it'd never get carried these days. Fantastic design but I've found others that suit me better.
:unicorn
benben

Post by benben »

vivi wrote:
Mon Aug 29, 2022 1:54 pm
benben wrote:
Mon Aug 29, 2022 11:06 am

I could see preferring the PM1 over the 2 if you're the type that uses index choils more often than not.

The PM2 occupies a weird spot in my knife collecting history. I carried a DLC for about 5 years as my dedicated work knife. But I ended up selling it, and every other PM2 I've bought since. Got a dirt cheap DLC seconds from the online sale but holding it I knew it'd never get carried these days. Fantastic design but I've found others that suit me better.
I'm pretty much the same, I did carry my PM1 for many years but that was well before I knew about or joined this forum, and before I fell down this whole collecting rabbit hole. Along with those two PM2 exclusives I mentioned earlier I also have a Cru-Wear Para 3, I never carry it either!

I'm really gonna like my new SE Ayoob, but between my two serrated Pacific Salts, my Cru-Wear Manix, my K390 Endela, my SE Rockjumper, and several of my Native's, I could sell off 90% of my collection and be happy with the ones I just listed.

My new Cru-Wear Ayoob and my Cru-wear Manix are going to make a great combination, but FRN SEKI-CITY knives are pretty much where it's at for me right now!
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

I worked at a small knife shop in college, and we had a PM1 which sat around for years. It was a funny little knife, one that I never really liked much.

One day a customer brought in a PM2, which I had heard about, and I was floored. The knife actually fit my hand, the action was super smooth, the choil was comfortable, and best of all - the blade shape closely mirrored my favorite Stretch. Man, everything seemed perfect about that knife.

I think that the recent Massad Ayoob sprint proves that there's still some hope yet for older models being reproduced as a sprint run. However, should Spyderco produce a PM1 sprint, I think I'll save mine for those of you who truly love the model. ;-)
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Toucan

Post by Toucan »

I have no idea, but it seems incredibly unlikely. The only viable path to that knife I could think of is opening up a knife shop and requesting a custom order in a batch of 500+, then waiting 3 years.
Matus

Post by Matus »

I would say that the odds are infinitesimal ...
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...