Hawkbill Caribbean

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Are you interested in a hawkbill variation of the Spyderco Caribbean?

(1) Yes, I am very interested in a Caribbean with a FFG (full flat grind) hawkbill blade.
35%
(2) I might be interested in a hawkbill Caribbean, but I would rather have Spyderco focus on a different hawkbill model (like a Spyderhawk 2).
41%
(3) No, I am not really interested in any new hawkbill models.
24%

Total votes: 37

Takuan

Hawkbill Caribbean

Post by Takuan »

A while back, I created a thread to discuss the possibility of a Spyderhawk 2: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=87350. We got the discussion going again recently and I floated crazy the idea of a Caribbean with a Superhawk-style blade. Specifically, it would have the handle of the Caribbean with a large, flat-ground, gently-curved hawkbill blade where the edge is pushed all the way up to the handle (rather than having a finger choil). It could be made out of LC200N (or possibly even MagnaCut). Here is a badly done image of what it might look like, though you'll have to imagine it with the choil/ricasso completely removed because I'm not good enough to manipulate the image that way.

They could call it the Osprey (which is a seagoing hawk) or the Nacunda (a type of Caribbean nighthawk), though I'm sure there are better names out there.

The Caribbean is my favorite large Spyderco design, so I would love to see the concept used with other blade shapes (grooved G-10 handle, compression lock, FFG blade with no choil/ricasso, and corrosion-resistant steel). At the suggestion of wrdwrght, I started a new poll to see if there might be interest in such a thing. Please vote and discuss!
"We cannot live better than in seeking to become better."
--Socrates
wrdwrght

Re: Hawkbill Caribbean

Post by wrdwrght »

Thanks, Takuan.

Hey, Sal! Not to take away from recent requests for the excellent Spyderhawk’s return, CQI’d or not, but how about a handle-forward hawkbill? Please?

The Superhawk, which I just acquired NIB some 10 years after my SuperLeaf, is superb. Wouldn’t a handle-forward Caribbean Osprey be superb-er?

My AUS6 Harpy, just arrived today, needs a salty companion without a choil. Whaddyathink?
-Marc (pocketing an S30V Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I voted for # 1. But it must be available in SE & PE both to be versatile enough for my chores. The more I gaze at that handle on the Caribbean the more I'm liking this idea.

No I want the Spyderhawk and/or Spyderhawk 2 to be it's own separate project. Because I doubt if both of them would be marketed at the same time anyway.

No too concerned on the blade steel selection on this one. Even VG-10 I believe would be adequate to start with until the popularity blossomed.
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

If the Caribbean is made in Peel-ply Carbon Fiber I will by every blade configuration available.

But sadly, they would be my last Spyderco’s because there would never be a better model IMOP.
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
olywa

Post by olywa »

"Hey, Sal! Not to take away from recent requests for the excellent Spyderhawk’s return, CQI’d or not, but how about a handle-forward hawkbill? Please?"

I'm with you! Either a Hawk Jumper in VG-10 or a Salt Jumper HB in Magnacut would be a 'must buy' for me.
SchoonerBum

Post by SchoonerBum »

I love the Caribbean (it and the RockJumper are my two favorite handles) and this is a great idea, I just haven't figured out an efficient and practical way to close a compression lock with my left hand. If the Caribbean was a backlock it would be my most-carried knife. For now I'll put my vote in for a Spyderhawk Salt instead.
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

I’d like express my own desire/encouragement for the hawkbill blade shape ideas.
I love recurves and there’s every bit as many possibilities for a hawkbill pocket knife as any other blade shape in terms of design and function. It’s cool to see that I’m not the only one interested in some of the typically unpopular blade shapes.

The RockJumper or Carribean are great platforms for such variations if enough interest exist.
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

I voted #1 because I’d like to encourage more blade shapes using the excellent Caribbean handle. The name Nacunda is good, as is Osprey.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=87074

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=92091

This idea doesnt seem to get much interest when it comes up.
Honestly, even though I also asked for this, I would rather have a SpyderHawk 2 salt.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

I'd give a RockJumper Hawkbill a try for sure. Not so much the Caribbean.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

I'd rather Spyderco focus on making as many variations as possible for the in the works compression lock FRN SUPERHAWK.

We've discussed the possibility of doing Hawkbill, Leaf, and Reverse S versions. Once established it could be a platform for PE tool steels, SE Salt steels and everything in between.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
max808

Post by max808 »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Thu Aug 25, 2022 8:50 pm
I'd rather Spyderco focus on making as many variations as possible for the in the works compression lock FRN SUPERHAWK.

We've discussed the possibility of doing Hawkbill, Leaf, and Reverse S versions. Once established it could be a platform for PE tool steels, SE Salt steels and everything in between.
+1
MNOSD 0047 - mens sana in corpore sano -
Do more than is required of you . Patton
For man's only weapon is courage that flinches not from the gates of **** itself, and against such not even the legions of **** can stand. Robert E. Howard
sal

Post by sal »

I have a hand made Prototype of a Caribbean Hawkbill being made for me by Roque.

On a "Handle forward" Hawkbill, I'd like to wait until I see reaction on the "Handle forward" Leaf Jumper.

sal
kobold

Post by kobold »

SE and I am in.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
SpyderGrill

Post by SpyderGrill »

I voted Yes and dont get rid of the Black and Yellow stripped handle!
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

sal wrote:
Mon Sep 05, 2022 9:26 pm
I have a hand made Prototype of a Caribbean Hawkbill being made for me by Roque.

On a "Handle forward" Hawkbill, I'd like to wait until I see reaction on the "Handle forward" Leaf Jumper.

sal
Lovely to hear. Good things come to those who wait.

When the Caribbean appears, handle-forward or not, maybe we could call it, affectionately, the “Hawksbill Turtle”. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hawksbill ... prov=sfti1

I’m so in on the handle-forward Leaf Jumper.
-Marc (pocketing an S30V Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Skar

Post by Skar »

I don't have interest in the spyderhawk.
The Caribbean is a favorite and I would be on board for a hawkbill design.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Ergonomically the Caribbean is a no go for me. The handle is too wide (tall). And really not a fan of the bumblebee look. Always glad to see more Hawkbills options for people though.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
olywa

Post by olywa »

Love my Rock Jumper and can't get the Leaf Jumper soon enough. I would be on a 'Hawk Jumper' in a heartbeat.
Takuan

Post by Takuan »

sal wrote:
Mon Sep 05, 2022 9:26 pm
This is great news!
"We cannot live better than in seeking to become better."
--Socrates