Improvements to the Matriarch 2/3? + The reverse-S PM2/Millie2 exists, will we ever see it?!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
MournfulCongregant

Improvements to the Matriarch 2/3? + The reverse-S PM2/Millie2 exists, will we ever see it?!

Post by MournfulCongregant »

I have heard a lot of talk about a new Matriarch 2 (A Matriarch 3), a "Salt" version, specifically because of it's ability to be pressed into tasks from the city streets to the sweaty ropecutter to the fisherman due to it's considerably stouter tip than the Civilian. I love the Lil Ma and hope they don't stop making it for Bento. Anyways... some ideas.

It doesn't have to be a complete "Salt" mode, it can be just a tougher stainless steel. I call BD1N "Salt lite" because it works so well in my kitchen knives, wet in my sink, Spyderco Z-Cuts. It is also cheap and on the budget-minded. I am not an expert, but I hear it offers a good balance between hardness and toughness. S45VN would be probably out because of price, and getting to Seki. I am not sure yet how much H-2 would cost, but LC200N may also be a contender.

It has NOT been an issue, but the VG-10 on my EDC satin Ma2 is the only spotting I have had on the steel. It may be worse for others, though. I have heard a lot of interest in this regard. I know extending the tip is probably not a possibility due to the fact it is built on an Endura frame, but perhaps a more severe curve could be initiated, if the steel and heat-treat would allow. Wave would of course be kept. Also... the Endura, Delica and Lil Matriarch all have jimping on the hump - is there a reason this does not exist on the Matriarch 2? Also, try holding a Dodo upside-down, as I often do with the Matriarch 2. Is that perhaps an argument for a bit of a choil?

Also, please wave the Civvie! That is the only thing, and lack of ability for a ring, preventing me from carrying it (and my version is a vintage linerless ATS-55, but I'd have bought a new one!). The Black Talon II is unfortunately the more realistic alternative until those problems get fixed - I wish 5x5 or WiseMen would solve this problem with aftermarkets.

Also, I feel like all my Spyderco wishes come true, because one of the first things I thought getting into Spyderco in December was "Boy, a comp lock Military and Civilian would be cool!" and shortly after found out the Millie 2 was in the works. I also found out that somebody had seen a "Reverse S PM2" at some type of knife show from the Glessers. I have heard or seen no other info on it, but this is the closest thing to a "comp lock Civvie" I will ever get, and seeing as though it is only a prototype, there is no reason I know of we could not XL it and make it out of a Military 2, I would buy two! Please, Sal, Eric, give the folks who just love the reverse-S some hope, some info, tell us that it will eventually be seen as an exclusive, as anything! I need one, so badly, more than anything!

- Sincerely, a Reverse S lover/collecter. Missed a reverse-S Meerkat by two dollars recently, dang it!
My reverse-S collection!
My reverse-S collection!
Favorite Spydercos: Police 4 K390 LW, Sage 5 M4 LW, K390 wharncliffe D-fly, Cricket, Crucarta PM2, M4 Micarta Shaman, Dodo.
ladybug93

Re: Improvements to the Matriarch 2/3? + The reverse-S PM2/Millie2 exists, will we ever see it?!

Post by ladybug93 »

i've been asking for a black, waved matriarch 2 salt for a few years now. it makes so much sense to me, that i am really confused why the request has been ignored completely. the toughness of h1 would be perfect for such a fragile tip and it would make the knife impervious to rust, which would allow us to carry it iwb so it's always in the same place and always ready to go as a self-defense knife.

here's my appeal...
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=80434
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Buddafucco

Re: Improvements to the Matriarch 2/3? + The reverse-S PM2/Millie2 exists, will we ever see it?!

Post by Buddafucco »

MournfulCongregant wrote:
Mon Jun 20, 2022 12:58 am

Also, please wave the Civvie! That is the only thing, and lack of ability for a ring, preventing me from carrying it (and my version is a vintage linerless ATS-55, but I'd have bought a new one!). The Black Talon II is unfortunately the more realistic alternative until those problems get fixed - I wish 5x5 or WiseMen would solve this problem with aftermarkets.
I'm not sure if you've seen this yet... And it may not be everything you wanted... but it sounds like 5x5 heard you and a Civilian Pickpocket is coming soon now available :squinting-tongue

Edit: it just went In Stock
Last edited by Buddafucco on Sat Aug 20, 2022 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
•• Beau
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

There are plans for a Lil Matriarch Salt. Not sure if waved or not. Maybe if it's well received a Matriarch Salt could be made as well?
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
MournfulCongregant

Buddafucco wrote:
Thu Aug 18, 2022 5:42 pm
MournfulCongregant wrote:
Mon Jun 20, 2022 12:58 am

I'm not sure if you've seen this yet... And it may not be everything you wanted... but it sounds like 5x5 heard you and a Civilian Pickpocket is coming soon now available :squinting-tongue

Edit: it just went In Stock
Yes! I do prefer the Wise Men Co or Spyderco wave, but this is nicer than nothing, now they just need a ring for it ;) I've been wanting, for no other reason but for fun, a Civilian 2 on a comp lock, or Matriarch 3. I know that a reverse-S PM2 exists. I would love that.
ZrowsN1s wrote: There are plans for a Lil Matriarch Salt. Not sure if waved or not. Maybe if it's well received a Matriarch Salt could be made as well?
Yes, very very happy about this! It's no problem if it is not waved, probably will not be.

Delica Wave/Ring works A-OK on the Lil Matriarch, even Wise Men Company acknowledge this when I asked, but they do not list it as compatible because it is "discontinued". I mean, it couldn't hurt for them to mention, because it was pure guesswork waving/ringing my Lil Matriarch. I am so happy that Spyderco is not done with this design, it is one of my favorites, and I prefer a reverse-S to a hawkbill, generally. I didn't see it in the upcoming catalouge, is it just like, a future project?

I know lots of folks asked for a Matriarch 2 Salt. I'd love it. Maybe on the comp lock :)
Favorite Spydercos: Police 4 K390 LW, Sage 5 M4 LW, K390 wharncliffe D-fly, Cricket, Crucarta PM2, M4 Micarta Shaman, Dodo.
MournfulCongregant

ladybug93 wrote:
Mon Jun 20, 2022 7:40 pm
i've been asking for a black, waved matriarch 2 salt for a few years now. it makes so much sense to me, that i am really confused why the request has been ignored completely. the toughness of h1 would be perfect for such a fragile tip and it would make the knife impervious to rust, which would allow us to carry it iwb so it's always in the same place and always ready to go as a self-defense knife.

here's my appeal...
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=80434
Seconded your appeal, my friend! A Salt Lil Matriarch is in the works, and a lot of people want a Salt Matriarch 2. I would LOVE reverse-S on a compression lock... I know a ReverS PM2 exists.

But yeah, I'd definitely buy either of these salted in any color.
riclaw

Post by riclaw »

Is there any more information on a Salt Lil Matriarch? Like when it might be available or what color the scales might be or whether it will be SE or PE? Thanks!
- Richard