C-60 Ayoob Campaign: No I Won't Shut Up

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
troutinCO

Re: C-60 Ayoob Campaign: No I Won't Shut Up

Post by troutinCO »

You can see them when looking into the knife, it was what perked my interest into taking it apart, the hidden from sight, elegant machining. Tight tolerances. It is a SWEET knife!

Sal, tell the maker they did a fantastic job!

I was cutting up some boxes with it earlier and it is fun to use this knife. I will probably drop it down to 15dps from the 17.5 I did on it after I wear out this edge.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i just used mine to open a package. i opened the knife and the box fell open and ran away. okay, that's hyperbole, but this thing is really sharp.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Anyone have BTE numbers for saber- vs hollow-grind versions of the Ayoob?
-Marc (pocketing an S30V Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

James Y wrote:
Sat Aug 20, 2022 9:17 am
I’m m quite cool with missing this sprint. Different priorities right now, and for a good while yet. I’m enjoying reading others’ comments, and am looking forward to hearing about others’ experiences with this model in use. But to be perfectly honest, NOT feeling the need to acquire this model is very freeing. I haven’t bought a knife in some time now anyway, and it feels good. Even though I sometimes say I’d like to see this model or have that model, in reality, my “need,” or rather motivation to acquire more knives, no matter how good the designs may be, had already slowed to a trickle for awhile now. I’m not really a sprint kind of guy, anyway.

Jim
When I grow up, I want to be like Jim. We’re about the same age, but some of us mature and some of us keep a few of our childlike wants.

Apologies for taking this off topic and into the weeds.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

troutinCO wrote:
Sat Aug 20, 2022 1:29 pm
I took it apart. Because I'm curious like that. Here are some pics.
Cover off:
AyoobInside (1).jpg
AyoobInside (2).jpg

Liner off:
AyoobInside (3).jpg
AyoobInside (5).jpg

My favorite part, the sweet machining on the liners:
AyoobInside (4).jpg
I love knives built in this manner.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
SpyderGrill

Post by SpyderGrill »

troutinCO wrote:
Sat Aug 20, 2022 3:03 pm
You can see them when looking into the knife, it was what perked my interest into taking it apart, the hidden from sight, elegant machining. Tight tolerances. It is a SWEET knife!

Sal, tell the maker they did a fantastic job!

I was cutting up some boxes with it earlier and it is fun to use this knife. I will probably drop it down to 15dps from the 17.5 I did on it after I wear out this edge.
Thats what I was talking about above. Thanks for the pictures.
SpyderGrill

Post by SpyderGrill »

Ive had the PE for several days and Im really liking it more every time I pick it up. Havent put it to hard use yet but that drop of oil really changed everything about it.

I ordered the SE today.
Freediver

Post by Freediver »

Mine came in and is very nice. It may remain a safe queen since I’m worried about rusting Cruwear but we’ll see.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

SpyderGrill wrote:
Sat Aug 20, 2022 8:36 pm
Ive had the PE for several days and Im really liking it more every time I pick it up. Havent put it to hard use yet but that drop of oil really changed everything about it.

I ordered the SE today.
Thanks SpyderGrill!! I got a feeling that your testimony is going to be repeated dozens of times here in the near future. And I've got a feeling that this particular Sprint Run when sold out will become one of thee most coveted models ever>> if not thee very most coveted. I believe that even the older VG-10 C-60 models are going to be highly sought after from this point on. Not because it's one of my favorites per se but because this model is finally going to get the recognition it richly deserves.

When I first fell in love with this C-60 model after I got my very first one at the 2002 BLADE Show I couldn't quit playing with it either. And at the time I was really baffled as to why this C-60 model didn't become one of Spyderco's most favored EDC blades Spyderco ever made>> as well as one of their better Self Defense/tactical models as well. Well I got a feeling that's all about to change and for the better I might add. This is truly a great time in SPYDER-HISTORY. I haven't had this much fun since I got my very first Spyderco model.
Matus

Post by Matus »

Mine is already on its way from Hamburg to south Germany :)
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

Matus wrote:
Sun Aug 21, 2022 11:56 pm
Mine is already on its way from Hamburg to south Germany :)
Sweet. Cool that they are available in Europe already.

Mine is due here tomorrow.
benben

Post by benben »

Any idea when all the big boy vendors will be getting theirs in?
Bdubs808

Post by Bdubs808 »

I've been having a difficult time trying to find these in stock at any of the normal places I check out. Some sellers on ebay have them available but the prices aren't comfortable for me.
It's kinda fun to be on the hunt though.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

benben wrote:
Mon Aug 22, 2022 5:07 am
Yeah that's a question I would like an answer to. I've got 4 friends who have contacted me wondering where to get one. Two of my three friends here locally have now gotten theirs ( both SE by the way)>> and they were not easy to come by from what they were telling me. It took some searching to find one in stock.

I'm already concentrating on the next GOLDEN ERA model to petition for. Oh don't get me wrong now because I don't care if this thread goes on for another 5 years if they want to.
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

JD Spydo wrote:
Mon Aug 22, 2022 6:31 am
benben wrote:
Yeah that's a question I would like an answer to. I've got 4 friends who have contacted me wondering where to get one. Two of my three friends here locally have now gotten theirs ( both SE by the way)>> and they were not easy to come by from what they were telling me. It took some searching to find one in stock.

I'm already concentrating on the next GOLDEN ERA model to petition for. Oh don't get me wrong now because I don't care if this thread goes on for another 5 years if they want to.
I will add this again, Mark’s Outdoors in Vestavia AL has PE and SE in stock. Call and they will ship, not an online presence like most, but a great brick and mortar
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

twinboysdad wrote:
Mon Aug 22, 2022 7:26 am
JD Spydo wrote:
Mon Aug 22, 2022 6:31 am
benben wrote:

I will add this again, Mark’s Outdoors in Vestavia AL has PE and SE in stock. Call and they will ship, not an online presence like most, but a great brick and mortar
Thank you TBD!!! I've got a phone call to make.

Oh one other thing. For those who are saying that the SE will be more available???? I'm seeing more guys buying those than I am people wanting the PE version. At least that's what I'm seeing as I write this post.

You can't go wrong with either one but I can assure you that both edge types will sell out and soon I mind you.
Superflex

Post by Superflex »

I did the drop of oil on my pivot as well and now my PE really shines. I was testing how sharp the edge was by shaving arm hair and when I went to wipe the hair off on my pants, sliced right through the cotton duck of my work pants. Yep, she's sharp.
Mt SE is at the local post office for delivery tomorrow.
Hats of to JD and Spyderco for making this happen.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Superflex wrote:
Mon Aug 22, 2022 8:26 am
I did the drop of oil on my pivot as well and now my PE really shines. I was testing how sharp the edge was by shaving arm hair and when I went to wipe the hair off on my pants, sliced right through the cotton duck of my work pants. Yep, she's sharp.
Mt SE is at the local post office for delivery tomorrow.
Hats of to JD and Spyderco for making this happen.
You are more than welcome my good man! I'm already trying to determine the next GOLDEN ERA classic for a possible Sprint Run. Check the thread out if any of you are interested in another classic with new blade steel.

Hey if that bad boy went through work pants like a laser then that's an awesome testimony>> but I'm not surprised at all.

Both the PE & SE will be "dream come true" EDC blades I predict.
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

SpyderEdge back at New Graham... https://newgraham.com/Massad-Ayoob-Gray-SE-SC60GSGY/

And still at

KnifeWorld:
PlainEdge... https://knifeworldwv.com/product/c60gpg ... print-run/

SpyderEdge... https://knifeworldwv.com/product/c60gsg ... print-run/

North River Outdoors (Priced slightly higher. If you have an account and leave it in your cart, they will email you a 5% coupon code after a while, but it will still be a couple bucks over MAP):
PlainEdge... https://www.northriveroutdoors.com/prod ... pm-cruwear

Also at
Sooner State Knives (Not on the Dealer Locator List?):
Both are towards the bottom of this page... http://www.soonerstateknives.com/newitems.html
Last edited by Buddafucco on Tue Aug 23, 2022 2:37 pm, edited 4 times in total.
•• Beau
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Sat Aug 20, 2022 2:02 pm
So it does have washers, they're just integral :winking-tongue
this is probably my favorite feature on these.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!