Interest in a Spyderhawk 2?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Would you be interested in a "Spyderhawk 2" with features similar to the Tasman Salt 2?

Yes, I would be very interested in a redesigned Spyderhawk.
43%
Maybe, but I'd probably be just as happy if they did another Sprint Run of the old Spyderhawk.
36%
No, I'm not really interested in this model.
21%

Total votes: 95

JD Spydo

Re: Interest in a Spyderhawk 2?

Post by JD Spydo »

Cl1ff wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 3:37 am
JD Spydo wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:21 pm
Cl1ff wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:07 pm
I like big Hawkbills and I want one!
I wouldn't even mind if Spyderco were to eventually come out with a Hawkbill even bigger than the Spyderhawk. I've loved the Spyderhawk model ever since I got my first one in 2003 when it was first launched in VG-10 blade steel. I still have an "Endura-Hawk" along with the Blue PE ( ultra rare) version both in VG-10.

However if a Hawkbill were to be made bigger than the Spyderhawk I'm wondering if it wouldn't be better just to make one that big in a fixed blade? That Spyderco "Class of 2003" sure had some iconic models.
Lol that sounds good to me!
I wrote a little post in the Byrd discussion forum about a very large Reverse S knife. This is in a similar vein I think.

Unfortunately for me (Spyderco-wise), I figured out how to walk right around ‘03. Missed out on a couple things. :o

It’s cool to talk to people like you who have a long lasting, to me, history with these knives.
How would I know about them if you weren’t around? Not trying to say you’re old! I’m just rather young compared to most here. :p
2003 was also the year of the Dodo being introduced along with the first Chinook model. I tried to find one of the old 2003 catalogs and I think the ones I have that are that old are in storage and I need to find a place for them here at home.

The 2003, VG-10 Spyderhawk was a very easy model to get ahold of until about 2007. I think it was about 2009 or 2010 when they did the re-introduction of the Spyderhawk in H-1. Not sure why they always discontinue them because it seems like everyone I know is always wanting one or two of them.

Like I've said previously if they ever started selling the Spyderhawk and TASMAN models in these Lawn & Garden catalogs like A.M. Leonard. Once many of these garden crazy people would see how great of a pruning and all purpose tool they are I do believe that Spyderco would have trouble keeping them in stock. It will happen at some point I'm pretty sure because every year more and more people are chiming in telling us how great of a tool they are for gardening and landscaping.
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

They just don't sell well. That's why they get discoed. No one wants one when they're available. The orange sprint was easily available a year after it was released. I was able to get like 4 orange ones at one point. I didn't even have to try that hard.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Bumping for a Spyderhawk 2. It's time to add into the production lineup. I'd say keep it simple with a Yellow H1 SE Salt. If there is demand for additional variations go from there. But it still shocks me that with the million different Seki knife variants we still don't have a single Spyderhawk 2 in the production mix.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
z1r

Post by z1r »

steelcity16 wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 1:14 pm
Bumping for a Spyderhawk 2. It's time to add into the production lineup. I'd say keep it simple with a Yellow H1 SE Salt. If there is demand for additional variations go from there. But it still shocks me that with the million different Seki knife variants we still don't have a single Spyderhawk 2 in the production mix.
I think we'd be looking at H2.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

There will hopefully be a lightweight compression lock Superhawk coming in the future. Im sure it's a long way off still, but I'm looking forward to it.

But for those that perfer backlocks and a more pronounced curve to their Hawkbills, an updated Spyderhawk would be welcome. I'd buy one for sure.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
vivi

Post by vivi »

I've had one from both runs and ended up selling them. was always fascinated by hawkbills when I got into spyderco but for my uses a se pacific salt works better. there just isn't an advantage for me with the hawkbill shape.

It would be cool to see them update it to the new handle shape for those that enjoy using this model.
:unicorn
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

I had the Endura/Hawk at one time . I would not mind another run in SE .
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

It's just incredible how good of a gardening tool the Spyderhawk is. And sure if they can improve a knife which to me was a winner to begin with I'm all in. However with the limited market share of Hawkbill blades you can't expect Spyderco to make one that would have super fancy locking systems or super high end handles like Carbon Fiber or Titanium.

I've held out hope for a long time that we could at least maybe get a Spyderhawk and/or Harpy with a nice G-10 handle. I think that would really make it a rugged tool. The two Hawkbills I use the most are the Harpy and Spyderhawk. I would love to see both of them with G-10 handles and maybe full flat grind blades. And I do hope they take this thread into consideration.
max808

Post by max808 »

JD Spydo wrote:
Thu Aug 18, 2022 9:24 am
It's just incredible how good of a gardening tool the Spyderhawk is. And sure if they can improve a knife which to me was a winner to begin with I'm all in. However with the limited market share of Hawkbill blades you can't expect Spyderco to make one that would have super fancy locking systems or super high end handles like Carbon Fiber or Titanium.

I've held out hope for a long time that we could at least maybe get a Spyderhawk and/or Harpy with a nice G-10 handle. I think that would really make it a rugged tool. The two Hawkbills I use the most are the Harpy and Spyderhawk. I would love to see both of them with G-10 handles and maybe full flat grind blades. And I do hope they take this thread into consideration.
Yes Sir, a G-10 handle for the Harpy and Spyderhawk would be awesome, and why not offer it in VG-10 to somewhat expedite the process and keep it affordable, thus appealing to more people. With your perfekt strategy for conquering the lawn & garden share this could become a regular production model, proudly made in Seki-City Japan.

SE FFG on a hawkbill?!? Is this even possible? If it is, sign me up!
MNOSD 0047 - mens sana in corpore sano -
Do more than is required of you . Patton
For man's only weapon is courage that flinches not from the gates of **** itself, and against such not even the legions of **** can stand. Robert E. Howard
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

VashHash wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 7:29 am
They just don't sell well. That's why they get discoed. No one wants one when they're available. The orange sprint was easily available a year after it was released. I was able to get like 4 orange ones at one point. I didn't even have to try that hard.
You're right VASH but this isn't the first time that a great Spyderco model not being a box office success kept it from becoming an iconic Sprint Run>> to later become a highly coveted super collector piece>> well for instance like the Nuclear Orange Spyderhawk we had a couple of years ago. Yeah try to get your hands on one of those any time soon. Or even this most recent C-60 Ayoob Cruwear Sprint Run for that matter. I bet this new C-60 Ayoob sells better now that it did in the early 2000s when it was first introduced.

The Spyderhawk has a lot in common with the C-60 Ayoob model. They both became popular later on. Some Spyderco models are like fruit still on an orchard tree>> in other words they just have to ripen up first. But with so many new uses being found for the Spyderhawk I think it may be about time for this most unique and most interesting model to catapult to fame.
shunsui

Post by shunsui »

These are great knives. I'd put the newer handle on it and keep it orange.
Takuan

Post by Takuan »

shunsui wrote:
Sat Aug 20, 2022 8:11 am
These are great knives. I'd put the newer handle on it and keep it orange.
That's the one I have. I love the orange handle for yard work and it matches the handle of my equally-stylish-and-unlosable ESSE Junglas machete! I wish that I hadn't missed the Sprint Run of the Rock Salt with the orange handle. That plus the Spyderhawk would make a beautiful gardening set.

"We cannot live better than in seeking to become better."
--Socrates
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

JD Spydo wrote:
Sat Aug 20, 2022 12:13 am
VashHash wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 7:29 am
You're right VASH but this isn't the first time that a great Spyderco model not being a box office success kept it from becoming an iconic Sprint Run>> to later become a highly coveted super collector piece>> well for instance like the Nuclear Orange Spyderhawk we had a couple of years ago. Yeah try to get your hands on one of those any time soon. Or even this most recent C-60 Ayoob Cruwear Sprint Run for that matter. I bet this new C-60 Ayoob sells better now that it did in the early 2000s when it was first introduced.

The Spyderhawk has a lot in common with the C-60 Ayoob model. They both became popular later on. Some Spyderco models are like fruit still on an orchard tree>> in other words they just have to ripen up first. But with so many new uses being found for the Spyderhawk I think it may be about time for this most unique and most interesting model to catapult to fame.
I wouldn't say it's super collectible. I'd rather see time spent on a Kris sprint.
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

JD Spydo wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 5:27 am
Not sure why they always discontinue them because it seems like everyone I know is always wanting one or two of them.
There's the problem in a nutshell. They may "want" but they don't "buy", probably because there is always something else they want more. "Want" doesn't keep a knife in the lineup, it takes "buy" to do that.
TheGiant80

Post by TheGiant80 »

Whenever I’ve got my wife’s Spyderhawk in-hand I always say something like “that is awesome!”.

I’d love to get one for myself if number 2 is happening.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Acknowledging that the Spyderhawk and Tasman (I happily use both in the yard) have not been big sellers risks overlooking the less severe hooks that are the Superhawk (my long-quested NIB one arrived just yesterday) and the P’Kal.

I don’t mean to hijaak this thread, but you might consider whether the Superhawk has more general utility than the Spyderhawk, Tasman, or SD-intended P’Kal; further, that they may have effectively thrown shade on the Superhawk and made it forgettable in spite of its wider range of applications.

It is no accident, I think, that the Superhawk is a rare bird on the secondary market. Perhaps it ought to be brought back, too.
-Marc (pocketing an S30V Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

As far as the Superhawk goes, I do like that blade shape (less "Hook" than the Spyderhawk), but not the handle/scales/lock/Seki G-10 prices. If they threw that blade shape into an FRN Stretch XL handle and made it as an H1 SE Salt, that would make for an AWESOME knife!
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Takuan

Post by Takuan »

Maybe the Superhawk and the Caribbean could be merged to create a Salty Superhawk with a groovy G-10 handle. The Caribbean is one of my favorite Spydercos, so having one with a Superhawk-style LC200N (or MagnaCut) hawkbill blade would be amazing.
"We cannot live better than in seeking to become better."
--Socrates
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Takuan wrote:
Tue Aug 23, 2022 3:29 pm
Maybe the Superhawk and the Caribbean could be merged to create a Salty Superhawk with a groovy G-10 handle. The Caribbean is one of my favorite Spydercos, so having one with a Superhawk-style LC200N (or MagnaCut) hawkbill blade would be amazing.
This I would like to try. Maybe you could launch a new poll to get Spyderco’s attention.
-Marc (pocketing an S30V Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
max808

Post by max808 »

Some comparison shots between Ladyhawk, Tasman and Spyderhawk. Notice the tips...
C77SORC106SBK2LBKS3HB001.jpg
C77SORC106SBK2LBKS3HB002.jpg
C77SORC106SBK2LBKS3HB003.jpg
C77SORC106SBK2LBKS3HB004.jpg
C77SORC106SBK2LBKS3HB005.jpg
MNOSD 0047 - mens sana in corpore sano -
Do more than is required of you . Patton
For man's only weapon is courage that flinches not from the gates of **** itself, and against such not even the legions of **** can stand. Robert E. Howard