My Military S110V arrived, very stiff!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Retlawman590

My Military S110V arrived, very stiff!

Post by Retlawman590 »

Hi,

I just received my Burple Military in S110V steel. First thing I noticed was that it was off center opposite the clip side. I played with both pivot side screws and got it centered. It is however, very stiff. It is nothing like the PM2 which was almost glass smooth. I know this one has the liner lock. Is that the difference? When I hold the knife open horizontally and press in the liner lock it does come down freely to my thumb, but then I have to close it the rest of the way with my other hand. It won't drop on its own. I have already put in a couple drops of Lite oil and open and close the knife about 100x. It activates with my thumb well, but not that great with middle finger Spydie flick. I can also hear the washers rubbing when I open and close. Ive never experienced this with the PM2.

Is all this normal, will it break in, or should I return it for another one? I like the knife otherwise. Looks great, super sharp blade.
Thanks
JRinFL

Re: My Military S110V arrived, very stiff!

Post by JRinFL »

I don't want this post to get lost, so bumping to the top for more views.

I only have one Military so I'm not much help. Hopefully others can let you know if this normal or not.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
WilliamMunny

Post by WilliamMunny »

I have read a few users take apart their knife, clean off old lubricants, add new oils, etc. and have great results.
Endura AUS-8, Manix 2 S30V, Alcyone BD1N, PM2 Micarta Cruwear, Native 5 Maxamet (2nd), Para 3 Maxamet (2nd), Magnacut Mule, Z-Wear Mule, BBB 15V Manix 2, REC PM3 10V Satin, Dragonfly Salt 2, GB2 M4.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

It might be the liner lock and the detent ball dragging snugly against the tang of the blade. I think that because I understand you to say as long as that liner is pushed over the blade drops freely.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I've had a few Military's, I don't think any of them are/were drop shut. Doesn't seem to be part of the design. You should be able to flick it open though, they open with ease. Time for some tinkering on the inside if you're comfortable doing so.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Urkilnmesmalls

Post by Urkilnmesmalls »

Retlawman590 wrote:
Thu Aug 18, 2022 7:38 pm
Hi,

I just received my Burple Military in S110V steel. First thing I noticed was that it was off center opposite the clip side. I played with both pivot side screws and got it centered. It is however, very stiff. It is nothing like the PM2 which was almost glass smooth. I know this one has the liner lock. Is that the difference? When I hold the knife open horizontally and press in the liner lock it does come down freely to my thumb, but then I have to close it the rest of the way with my other hand. It won't drop on its own. I have already put in a couple drops of Lite oil and open and close the knife about 100x. It activates with my thumb well, but not that great with middle finger Spydie flick. I can also hear the washers rubbing when I open and close. Ive never experienced this with the PM2.

Is all this normal, will it break in, or should I return it for another one? I like the knife otherwise. Looks great, super sharp blade.
Thanks
I don’t have experience with this particular model, but what I usually do with a new washer knife is take it apart, clean everything with rubbing alcohol, put some Flitz metal polish on a piece of newspaper or whatever paper I have handy and rub it in good. Then place said paper on a flat surface and polish both sides of both washers. Then I put a drop of gunny glide on each washer and reassemble. On liner locks it sometimes helps to buff the detent ball on the lock side liner with flitz and oil that too. My Resilience will take a finger off when it falls if you don’t watch what you’re doing and it started out very stiff
Retlawman590

Post by Retlawman590 »

Thanks for the replies guys. I ended up sending the knife back and the seller is looking through his stock for a centered and smoother one. He says this batch was the first he had received in over a year. Hopefully they don't all have this issue. I'm a newbie, so I don't feel comfortable taking apart any knife yet. My torque bits only go down to a 15. I should invest in some smaller ones.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Some brands of quality torx bits to look for: Chapman Tools, Wiha, Felo. There are other good ones, but these are ones I have direct experience with. The cheaper ones are often too soft or poorly shaped and can damage the screw heads.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Retlawman590

Post by Retlawman590 »

JRinFL wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 9:38 am
Some brands of quality torx bits to look for: Chapman Tools, Wiha, Felo. There are other good ones, but these are ones I have direct experience with. The cheaper ones are often too soft or poorly shaped and can damage the screw heads.
Thanks for that info!
BornIn1500

Post by BornIn1500 »

Retlawman590 wrote:
It is however, very stiff. It is nothing like the PM2 which was almost glass smooth. I know this one has the liner lock. Is that the difference? When I hold the knife open horizontally and press in the liner lock it does come down freely to my thumb, but then I have to close it the rest of the way with my other hand. It won't drop on its own.
Sounds normal to me. It drops freely onto your thumb because you have the lockbar pressed over. But when you take your thumb off, the lockbar pressure pushes on the blade the rest of the way down. For the compression lock on the PM2, you have the lockbar pressed over the entire way as it is dropping closed. It seems to me that you're misunderstanding how the lock works. It won't drop down on it's own after you move your thumb off that lockbar. That doesn't make it "stiff". It's just different.
vivi

Post by vivi »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 8:21 am
I've had a few Military's, I don't think any of them are/were drop shut. Doesn't seem to be part of the design. You should be able to flick it open though, they open with ease. Time for some tinkering on the inside if you're comfortable doing so.
I've owned about 10 or 11 over the years and none of them dropped shut besides the cf/52100. They should be smooth to operate but they do require manual action.
:unicorn
James Y

Post by James Y »

BornIn1500 wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 12:54 pm
Retlawman590 wrote:
It is however, very stiff. It is nothing like the PM2 which was almost glass smooth. I know this one has the liner lock. Is that the difference? When I hold the knife open horizontally and press in the liner lock it does come down freely to my thumb, but then I have to close it the rest of the way with my other hand. It won't drop on its own.
Sounds normal to me. It drops freely onto your thumb because you have the lockbar pressed over. But when you take your thumb off, the lockbar pressure pushes on the blade the rest of the way down. For the compression lock on the PM2, you have the lockbar pressed over the entire way as it is dropping closed. It seems to me that you're misunderstanding how the lock works. It won't drop down on it's own after you move your thumb off that lockbar. That doesn't make it "stiff". It's just different.

I agree.

I've owned (and still own) many liner lock knives. Not one of them is "drop-shutty." I wouldn't want them that way. Although it might *seem* like a liner lock should operate the exact same way as a comp lock, they are different, especially in the unlocking and closing process.

Jim
Chumango

Post by Chumango »

You played with the screws, lubed it, opened it 100 times, and returned it as if new?

The Military is not the PM2. The three I have vary in detent strength, but none are even close to the PM2. Expecting otherwise from different designs will lead to your experience.