C-60 Ayoob Campaign: No I Won't Shut Up

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JD Spydo

Re: C-60 Ayoob Campaign: No I Won't Shut Up

Post by JD Spydo »

DLTJordan wrote:
Thu Aug 18, 2022 8:13 am
Once the actual orders come in to the dealers it won't be the rat race that it is now.
Yeah you've probably got a point. But for a knife costing $200+ they sure seem to be flying off the shelves. I do believe that within two months ( 3 at the most) you won't be able to find a C-60 Sprint Run anywhere except the secondary market place.

So if anyone really wants one they better not put it off very long.
troutinCO

Post by troutinCO »

benben wrote:
Thu Aug 18, 2022 7:59 am
yablanowitz wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 1:41 pm
Thank you for this. I had to wait until payday, but I was able to snag one in SE to go with my PE original and G10 Sprint.
I like to way you think! I'm only going to buy one but I'm having a hard time deciding on which edge to buy? I already have an original aluminum C60 in VG-10 plain edge. The last three or four Spyderco's I've bought have been in serrated, sorta been on a serrated kick lately. I do have a Manix and Para 3 in Cru-Wear, both plain edge of course.

The issue with the new serrated Ayoob's had my mind made up to get a plain edge but I'm not worried about that anymore. Since I already have a PE Ayoob, and two different PE knives in Cru-wear, go with serrated?? Plus this is our first time seeing serrated Cru-wear.....Help me out with some reasoning guys?
I went PE as I didn't want to deal with the eventual sharpening of Cruwear SE.
benben

Post by benben »

troutinCO wrote:
Thu Aug 18, 2022 8:22 am
benben wrote:
yablanowitz wrote:
Thank you for this. I had to wait until payday, but I was able to snag one in SE to go with my PE original and G10 Sprint.
I like to way you think! I'm only going to buy one but I'm having a hard time deciding on which edge to buy? I already have an original aluminum C60 in VG-10 plain edge. The last three or four Spyderco's I've bought have been in serrated, sorta been on a serrated kick lately. I do have a Manix and Para 3 in Cru-Wear, both plain edge of course.

The issue with the new serrated Ayoob's had my mind made up to get a plain edge but I'm not worried about that anymore. Since I already have a PE Ayoob, and two different PE knives in Cru-wear, go with serrated?? Plus this is our first time seeing serrated Cru-wear.....Help me out with some reasoning guys?
See, I had that mindset for years, I avoided SE knives like the plague! I went from having / owning one serrated knife from 20+ years ago, a little Cricket that I abused to no end! I have seven SE knives now and I find them easier (and faster) to sharpen than PE knives. I honestly love both edges, that's why I'm so undecided.
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Frankly, I prefer the new, less agressive serrations to the pointy, snag prone versions. K390 serrations on the P4 didn't bother me to sharpen. Reprofiling to 15° took some time, but was certainly possible. I don't forsee a problem with CruWear serrations. It should make for a good all-around knife.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

DLTJordan wrote:
Once the actual orders come in to the dealers it won't be the rat race that it is now.
Thanks Jordan. It is always good to hear from a dealer's perspective. We appreciate your participation here.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

yablanowitz wrote:
Thu Aug 18, 2022 8:48 am
Frankly, I prefer the new, less agressive serrations to the pointy, snag prone versions. K390 serrations on the P4 didn't bother me to sharpen. Reprofiling to 15° took some time, but was certainly possible. I don't forsee a problem with CruWear serrations. It should make for a good all-around knife.
Hey Dude you've been a Spyder-head even longer than I have I'm pretty sure. Have you ever had one of the old original Catcherman models from back in the AUS-8 era? Well I have an older Catcherman in full SE model in AUS-8 which is fully serrated>> for whatever reason they never did the full SE in MBS-26.

The serration pattern on that particular Catcherman model are exactly as you described in your post. They don't snag on anything and they cut almost as straight as the finest plain edge. I've never found a serration pattern on any Spyderco model that performs as good as those of the old Catcherman in AUS-8.

The serrations on this new C-60 Ayoob are almost like those on that older Catcherman. This is one of the better full SE Spyderco models I've ever had. Your thoughts????
Jurmuscle

Post by Jurmuscle »

elena86 wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 1:07 pm
Massad serrations are a joke … sorry to bust your bubble
This is what someone said on my other post lol. I asked them what they tested theirs on and got no reply.
:usflag :bug-red :bug-white-red :usflag
If we spent as much time trying as we do doubting, we might have already accomplished it.

-Tom
Vestmen

Post by Vestmen »

mb1

Post by mb1 »

benben wrote:
Thu Aug 18, 2022 8:28 am
troutinCO wrote:
Thu Aug 18, 2022 8:22 am
benben wrote:
yablanowitz wrote:

See, I had that mindset for years, I avoided SE knives like the plague! I went from having / owning one serrated knife from 20+ years ago, a little Cricket that I abused to no end! I have seven SE knives now and I find them easier (and faster) to sharpen than PE knives. I honestly love both edges, that's why I'm so undecided.
You know the proper and only answer is both! But these serrations don’t seem to be like anything else. Like Yab said, less aggressive. So could be unique for you even among SE knives.
- Mark

"Don't believe everything you think." -anonymous wise man
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

White Mountain Knives (Not on the Dealer Locator List??)
SpyderEdge... https://whitemountainknives.com/spyderc ... e-c60gsgy/

Edit to add... there might be a working coupon code for them?
Last edited by Buddafucco on Thu Aug 18, 2022 10:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
•• Beau
DLTJordan

Post by DLTJordan »

JD Spydo wrote:
Thu Aug 18, 2022 8:20 am
DLTJordan wrote:
Yeah you've probably got a point. But for a knife costing $200+ they sure seem to be flying off the shelves. I do believe that within two months ( 3 at the most) you won't be able to find a C-60 Sprint Run anywhere except the secondary market place.

I don't mean to say that as a negative, just trying to reassure people that if they are relatively on the ball it will be attainable.
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

•• Beau
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Jurmuscle wrote:
Thu Aug 18, 2022 9:33 am
elena86 wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 1:07 pm
Massad serrations are a joke … sorry to bust your bubble
This is what someone said on my other post lol. I asked them what they tested theirs on and got no reply.
Nobody agrees on every issue. But I've talked to far more people that love the C-60 Ayoob than I have to people who dislike it for whatever reason.

But people who like serrations all like them for different reason. If someone likes the older Japan made spikey serrations then they probably won't like the serrations on this new C-60 Sprint model.

It's all good
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

DLTJordan wrote:
Thu Aug 18, 2022 9:43 am
JD Spydo wrote:
Thu Aug 18, 2022 8:20 am
DLTJordan wrote:

I don't mean to say that as a negative, just trying to reassure people that if they are relatively on the ball it will be attainable.
That's a good point. And even on the secondary market they should be available at a reasonable price for at least 3 to 5 months after the dealers sell out completely. It takes a while for any Spyder to reach collector status. It's at that point where most of them get pricey.

But you're right it's far from being a panic situation. But procrastination is usually not your friend in any endeavor.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Buddafucco wrote:
Thu Aug 18, 2022 9:41 am

LEFTY10 worked for me.

I might have gotten the last one...
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

JRinFL wrote:
Thu Aug 18, 2022 10:01 am
Buddafucco wrote:

LEFTY10 worked for me.

Excellent! I've got to try and remember that for if they drop the PlainEdge.

Still at KnifeHub:
PlainEdge... https://www.knifehub.com/product-page/s ... fe-c60gpgy

SpyderEdge... https://www.knifehub.com/product-page/s ... ed-c60gsgy
•• Beau
DLTJordan

Post by DLTJordan »

JRinFL wrote:
Thu Aug 18, 2022 8:55 am
DLTJordan wrote:
Thanks Jordan. It is always good to hear from a dealer's perspective. We appreciate your participation here.
Happy to be here! I love knives in general, but Spyderco has always been my favorite.
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

Buddafucco wrote:
Thu Aug 18, 2022 10:06 am
JRinFL wrote:
Thu Aug 18, 2022 10:01 am
Buddafucco wrote:

LEFTY10 worked for me.

Excellent! I've got to try and remember that for if they drop the PlainEdge.

There are a handful of codes that work at White Mountain Knives.. Off the top of my head "TPBWMK" & "WSW10" are both still active and good for 10% off. My understanding is that WMK partners with a handful of youtube "personalities" to offer discount codes.. I couldn't tell you which youtubists those codes represent, but hey, 10% off is 10% off!

Also.. WMK has been an excellent dealer, in my experience.. they are typically as quick to ship as some of the heavyweights, and they are only about 45 min from my house, so even the cheapest shipping option tends to be "overnight" shipping for me. That plus the coupon codes means I try to order from them whenever I can. Just today, I ordered a Subway Bowie for $108.99! :cheap-sunglasses
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

WMK is good! I was holding out for DLT's shipment to arrive, but jumped at WMK. DLT will just have to sell me something else, and they will. :rofl I'm an easy mark.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
cjk

Post by cjk »

So I'm wondering if Joyce from Spyderco got a new Massad Ayoob or two from this run.

This video was the first I had ever seen of the model:
https://youtu.be/FXzsA25aBC4