C-60 Ayoob Campaign: No I Won't Shut Up

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
benben

Re: C-60 Ayoob Campaign: No I Won't Shut Up

Post by benben »

bchan wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 8:02 am
I am not familiar with the Ayoob, are there any reasons for the peculiar orientation of the handle with respect to the blade? I would imagine doing push cuts would be awkward with the handle in this orientation?
The blade naturally falls inline with the forearm when thrusting to get maximum power behind the knife.
spyderco-c60gp-massad-ayoob-sprint_1_2ee0eb1e07c9196a978b8b5b04dc6108.jpg
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

benben wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 8:31 am
bchan wrote:
I am not familiar with the Ayoob, are there any reasons for the peculiar orientation of the handle with respect to the blade? I would imagine doing push cuts would be awkward with the handle in this orientation?
The blade naturally falls inline with the forearm when thrusting to get maximum power behind the knife.
spyderco-c60gp-massad-ayoob-sprint_1_2ee0eb1e07c9196a978b8b5b04dc6108.jpg
The entire design of the C-60 just feels completely natural. You don't have to make any adjustments or allowances when working with this ergonomic gem. And it excels on both SE & PE. Not many Spyderco models excel in both edge types like the C-60 Ayoob does.

I kind of wish that Michael Janich would give us some of his feedback about this C-60 Sprint Run. I would love to hear what he would have to say about this great Sprint Run.
mark greenman

Post by mark greenman »

bchan wrote:
The negative blade angle design gives the Ayoob most of the slashing power of the hawkbill and most of the thrusting power of a push dagger - combining the two of the most effective SD knife capabilities into a single folding knife.

For utility work, the negative blade angle and curve of the blade makes pull cuts (opening boxes, slicing through carpet, etc) very effective, as it places a lot of edge into the material at a comfortable angle to exert pressure.

All in a very slim, easy to carry folding knife.

It looks weird, but the Ayoob is an incredibly practical design.
Capt'n Boatsalot

Post by Capt'n Boatsalot »

mark greenman wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 9:26 am
bchan wrote:
For utility work, the negative blade angle and curve of the blade makes pull cuts (opening boxes, slicing through carpet, etc) very effective, as it places a lot of edge into the material at a comfortable angle to exert pressure.

Thanks Mark! This is what I've been looking for. I understand the SD intent of the design, but that's not the use case that made this compelling to me. I know that the "weird" Spyderco ergos is often in my experience wonderful in hand. This historical experience, plus Sal's comments on how Spyderco had been helping the maker, made this a solid buy for me. But I had been wondering exactly how well it would work for my typical utility tasks, and your response hit the nail on the head for me.
MNOSD member 0030
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

Last edited by Buddafucco on Wed Aug 17, 2022 4:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
•• Beau
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

mark greenman wrote:
bchan wrote:
The negative blade angle design gives the Ayoob most of the slashing power of the hawkbill and most of the thrusting power of a push dagger - combining the two of the most effective SD knife capabilities into a single folding knife.

Mark Greenman you discovered the essential values of the C-60 Ayoob model in about the same way as I did. Using it and using it hard and you will find dozens more uses just by having it handy. If you all EDC this C-60 Ayoob Sprint Run for at least 10 days I think most of you will see what myself and Mark Greenman have discovered.

That last sentence you stated on that post says it all. To me Function and ergonomics are now my two biggest considerations when evaluating a knife. The C-60 Ayoob gets an "A+" in all of the function aspects.
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Thank you for this. I had to wait until payday, but I was able to snag one in SE to go with my PE original and G10 Sprint.
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

•• Beau
Superflex

Post by Superflex »

My PE arrived today from Saywer River
Nice handwritten notes and a cool sticker in the envelope. Trey and Nate seem like great guys.
The edge grind is a bit uneven but can easily be fixed. The scales are bigger than expected but the knife is a champ. Nice and thin in the pocket. Love the grey G10.
My PE is shipping tomorrow from Wylanco. Hoping for a decent serration pattern at the tip.
Broke two rules this week buying more knives, but I couldn't resist. So glad to have both versions in the collection.
Superflex

Post by Superflex »

The chamfer on the G10 scales is a nice touch. Wish all Golden models did this but I realize the placement of screws and pins can cause issues with the chamfer
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Dang these are flying off the shelves. I slacked for a day. :(

Holding out hope a bit longer before I hit the flipper market.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

The big dealers haven’t even gotten their stock yet. No need to feed the flippers yet.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

JRinFL wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 7:58 pm
The big dealers haven’t even gotten their stock yet. No need to feed the flippers yet.
Agreed.
-Marc (pocketing an S30V Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
troutinCO

Post by troutinCO »

Ok, so after getting to 19dps last night, I decided eh, lets go to 17.5dps tonight. I did a de-burr with a LIGHT touch at 17.8 and done. Used bigger stones as well, made short work of it. I took it to the 800 stone, looks good I think, cuts WAY better than stock. Ready for some boxes this weekend and who knows what else I will find between then and now.
MAsharp2.jpg
MAsharp.jpg
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

JRinFL wrote:
Thanks!

I’m better at staying the course when I’m not overly biased. I’m like hand over a candle flame with PM2 sprints, lol.
Vestmen

Post by Vestmen »

I really need one of these particularly the Spyderedge Ayoob...I've been trying hard to score one to no avail.
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

mark greenman wrote:
bchan wrote:

What happened to your great article on the Ayoob that was on USN??
benben

Post by benben »

yablanowitz wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 1:41 pm
Thank you for this. I had to wait until payday, but I was able to snag one in SE to go with my PE original and G10 Sprint.
I like to way you think! I'm only going to buy one but I'm having a hard time deciding on which edge to buy? I already have an original aluminum C60 in VG-10 plain edge. The last three or four Spyderco's I've bought have been in serrated, sorta been on a serrated kick lately. I do have a Manix and Para 3 in Cru-Wear, both plain edge of course.

The issue with the new serrated Ayoob's had my mind made up to get a plain edge but I'm not worried about that anymore. Since I already have a PE Ayoob, and two different PE knives in Cru-wear, go with serrated?? Plus this is our first time seeing serrated Cru-wear.....Help me out with some reasoning guys?
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

JRinFL wrote:
Are these C-60 Ayoob blades still selling like Led Zeppelin tickets? I've got two friends that both tell me they still haven't been able to find a dealer with any in stock. Maybe they aren't trying hard enough. But it does seem like these things are selling like 12 packs of premium beer
DLTJordan

Post by DLTJordan »

Once the actual orders come in to the dealers it won't be the rat race that it is now.