Next Project To Revive Another GOLDEN ERA Model

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Michal O

Re: Next Project To Revive Another GOLDEN ERA Model

Post by Michal O »

Lum passed away many years ago but Spyderco did Lil Chinese Folder few years after it. Depends how they make deal with family.

Lava is interesting model but I wish new version would pack more blade in that handle. I believe it was so short because knife laws. There is a lot of space for longer blade.

Caly 3.5 in K390 is probably most realistic.
Current collection: Lil Temperance G10, Shaman, Lil Native, Massad Ayoob cruwear, Smock, Street Beat, Street Bowie, Para 3, PM2 purple G10 cruwear, Canis, Rhino, Endura 4 K390, Watu, Kapara, Amalgam, Sliverax, Police 4 se K390, Police 4 pe K390, Khukuri, Barong, Ulize.
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

C54 Calyspso would be my vote. Great design that I missed out on.

Though, I would really just like to see some variations on the Caly 3.5, but I don't think that model fits within your timeline.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

JRinFL wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 8:02 am
Schempp Persian 75mm with bolsters and pinned construction. Any color of polished G10 or micarta.
Like the Ayoob, Moki, no? Might be one ask too far.
-Marc (pocketing an S30V Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

The Golden Era is now. Designers' vision and talent have matured, manufacturing processes have evolved, and materials are just plain better.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

RustyIron wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 10:11 am
The Golden Era is now. Designers' vision and talent have matured, manufacturing processes have evolved, and materials are just plain better.
I don’t disagree with your premise, but the spirit of this thread harkens a different time.

vivi

Post by vivi »

One reason I like the Native Chief so much is that it shares a lot of similarities with the full sized Calypso.

Here is another one that comes to mind. The original yojimbo:

No disrespect intended towards the second gen (I'm especially fond of the yojumbo!), but this one fit my hand better. It had a pretty long handle for the blade length.

and just for fun why not a magnacut forester in green linen micarta? :cheap-sunglasses

Last edited by vivi on Wed Aug 17, 2022 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
:unicorn
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

wrdwrght wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 10:09 am
JRinFL wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 8:02 am
Schempp Persian 75mm with bolsters and pinned construction. Any color of polished G10 or micarta.
Like the Ayoob, Moki, no? Might be one ask too far.
I *think so*, but I'm not certain. Still, cannot hurt to ask.

Maybe Ed will join the bandwagon? Eh, maybe not as he's probably waiting on some new designs to get in the queue.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

I’d ask to see another JD Smith. Unlike the Calypso and Bob Lum (and now the Ayoob), it’s gone over a decade since its last sprint.
Last edited by wrdwrght on Thu Aug 18, 2022 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

The revivals I want to see are usually these plus a few others.

Tatanka
Breeden captain
Breeden rescue
Catcherman
Spyderhawk
SuperHawk
SuperLeaf
K2
Slysz bowie

The "era" makes no difference to me.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
Meadowlark

Post by Meadowlark »

JD Spydo wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 8:04 am
Meadowlark wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 7:17 am
C54 Calypso
So many latecomers to the Spyderville community aren't even aware that the C-54 Calypso even ever existed. So many people here on the Forum that are avid knife connoisseurs are not aware of many of Spyderco's "IN HOUSE" designs. All of the Calypso models are In House designs. And some of my favorite Spyderco classics are "In House" designs as well.

The C-54 model simply got lost in the shuffle. I can't think of any other way to describe this great, late 90s design. The brief time it was in one of the Spyderco catalogs it was overshadowed by so many other fast moving models during that time slot. It truly would be a nice consideration and with a Supersteel blade it would be a great selection.
Based on the revelations in your Ayoob thread, JD, I wonder if Moki production may one day be able to turn out a new version of the C54? Same maker if the ayoob, no?
vivi wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 7:24 am
Full Ti ATR 1 with G10 overlays on the scales and a magnacut blade. Make it a salt ;)
Meadowlark wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 7:17 am
C54 Calypso
screw construction knifeworks 204p run, please :)
what do you like about 204p, Vivi? I've never owned any.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

FRN Cricket, in H1 SE, blacked out
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

Wartstein wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 1:43 am
Well, for me it would have to be the C90 stainless steel craton Stretch (the first "real" Stretch that was actually called so??)

Just a bit smaller than the Stretch 1, is from the time you call the "Golden era" and one of the coolest looking Spydies ever imo.

See here https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/detail ... trade-/166

And this pic from the Spyderco site

I didn’t even know about this version, so thanks for educating me!
If sprint runs of discontinued models is up for voting, my answer will always be the C51 Rookie.
Though, a C90 SS Stretch with some sort of inlay would be too cool to pass up.

Actually, I have to look up quite a few of the model names that gets thrown around here, some I’ve even looked up before. It’s quite fun and educating to have a look into the past. Many of them appear to be slightly to big, heavy or weird to be relevant for me, but theres something about some of the “old” models, how meticulously they are built. There’s an aura of proud craftsmanship that you don’t always see in todays production optimized designs.
Like with old cars, the oldies might not be up to todays standards, but looking at the details you just know that somebody gave a s..t (as a certain youtuber likes to put it).
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

wrdwrght wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 10:17 am
RustyIron wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 10:11 am
I don’t disagree with your premise, but the spirit of this thread harkens a different time.
Thank you "wrdwrght"! What I affectionately refer to as the GOLDEN ERA ( 1998-2004) is a time period where I really got won over by many of Spyderco's designs and collaborations. And I still have a warm place in my heart for Spyderco knives of that era.

And to be fair to "RustyIron" you can make the case for "NOW" being the Golden Era because there are certainly some great designs in the main line up. I guess what I'm trying to get across is that there were a lot of designs like the C-60 Ayoob for instance that I think many never realized it's full potential. I also think there are a lot of brilliant designs from that era that will excel greatly with updated materials. The RENEGADE for example was my main EDC for about a year. The only reason I switched was that the GIN-1 blade steel was not nearly the performer as many of the newer/better blade steels we have now.

I'm basically saying some of these designers during that era had great designs but premium materials were not yet available at that time. Just think at one time ATS-34 was considered the "Creme De Le Creme" of blade steels. That's literally ancient history now. So many materials have gotten so much better. It's giving great designs the chance they deserve.
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

I’ve asked several times for a full size Jess Horn sprint. I’d be happy to see it made in the same configuration as the recent Baby Horn sprint (in dark gray G10).
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Wow Vivi ! The Forester would be a lot of indeed ! Dan
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
cjk

Post by cjk »

scans of most of the catalogs from the (alleged) "golden era" (courtesy of der google):

https://spydercosource.com/spyderco-catalogs/

I paged through those. The only thing that appealed to me in the ballpark as much as things that Spyderco makes now is the rookie.
However, I think I'd want it patterned after the Police 4 instead so it would get a forward choil.
Then that would be a new model rather than reviving one. In that case there are many other things I'd rather have.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

The Rookie would be an excellent choice. I'll also add my vote for that, even though the correct answer is Persian 75mm. ;)
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
rycen

Post by rycen »

I’d rather see regular models be more readily available than bringing back a model that’s already had a resurrection
PStone

Post by PStone »

Top 2 for my wishlist are the Temperance2 and the Forrester(any of the Hossom series really). Never had a chance to use either one, but have handled both. Would be happy with both original steels too.
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

C54 Calypso. CF scales, screwed not pinned, & Hap40 would be fine by me!