Sal, what are your thoughts on the SE pattern on the new Ayoob?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
twinboysdad

Sal, what are your thoughts on the SE pattern on the new Ayoob?

Post by twinboysdad »

Wasn’t sure if you were seeing the comments on the long running Ayoob thread but some concern voiced over the SE pattern on the tip being flattened. Doesn’t look like the past SE Ayoobs at all, curious what you thought sir?
sal

Re: Sal, what are your thoughts on the SE pattern on the new Ayoob?

Post by sal »

I don't know how many came like that, so I really comment at this time. It shouldn't a problem in use. If someone is really concerned, they can always return it. This is a Sprint run made by a small maker in Japan. It was an effort to get the model to you.

sal
metaphoricalsimile

Post by metaphoricalsimile »

Edit: nvm
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Thanks for the reply Sal, and thanks for getting the model back in the line up. Was this maker that same as the original Ayoob?
sal

Post by sal »

Your welcome on the return, though it is just a Sprint. Actually JD is the one that should get the credit.

Yes, it's the same maker, but there have been many changes to the family over the past decade. Quite a bit Adversity they had to overcome.

sal
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Sal, is this the same maker as the Caly 3.5? It is really good to see them back up and running.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Jeff,

Yes it is.

sal
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Thanks Sal! Great news!
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i know i've been speaking a lot on the other thread. i really don't want to sound petty. i'm glad to have a chance at getting this model since i wasn't around when it was released in the past. i'm happy to have it. it's a cool knife and i'm sure it'll function as intended. i don't intend to return my knife because i may not have another chance at getting another. the whole situation just doesn't sit right with me.

i have a pretty good history with spyderco for the most part. i even made a whole thread about how sal is a stand up guy. i don't question that now just because of a jacked up serration. i will say though, this isn't the first exclusive or sprint that's had problems and it's eventually going to be enough for people to stop buying spydercos.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Danke

Post by Danke »

No it's not.
crow2071

Post by crow2071 »

ladybug93 wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 1:09 pm
i know i've been speaking a lot on the other thread. i really don't want to sound petty. i'm glad to have a chance at getting this model since i wasn't around when it was released in the past. i'm happy to have it. it's a cool knife and i'm sure it'll function as intended. i don't intend to return my knife because i may not have another chance at getting another. the whole situation just doesn't sit right with me.

i have a pretty good history with spyderco for the most part. i even made a whole thread about how sal is a stand up guy. i don't question that now just because of a jacked up serration. i will say though, this isn't the first exclusive or sprint that's had problems and it's eventually going to be enough for people to stop buying spydercos.
If the knife is making you this unhappy, return it or send it in for warranty work. Sugar coating that your fine with it and then issuing backhanded compliments serves little purpose.
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Lets use it first.
Ugly dogs still hunt.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

crow2071 wrote:
Fri Aug 12, 2022 6:41 pm
ladybug93 wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 1:09 pm

If the knife is making you this unhappy, return it or send it in for warranty work. Sugar coating that your fine with it and then issuing backhanded compliments serves little purpose.
i decided to keep it and just trust that sharpening will even it out. that doesn't change the fact that it came to me wrong, and i don't think there's anything wrong with me pointing it out or being unhappy about it. i'm a big spyderco fan, but i don't worship the company, so i'm capable of seeing flaws for what they are while still liking the company and products. and, as i stated multiple times, at very least, it's a data point for others waiting to purchase the se version. you're welcome.

i'm really not sure what "sugar coating that i'm fine with it" means. i typically choose my words carefully and say what i mean. maybe don't read between the lines? i didn't issue a backhanded compliment. i issued a compliment and a concern, but thanks for your input.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

VooDooChild wrote:
Fri Aug 12, 2022 7:07 pm
Lets use it first.
Ugly dogs still hunt.
sure. unfortunately, you have to decide to keep it before you use it. i've already decided to keep it because i know it'll function. i only voice my concerns for the sake of others and for spyderco to have a chance to respond. it's not a good look at all. if some of us can't see that, maybe we are a little too entrenched in our fandom. there's no reason we can't be fans and also see things the way they are.

what good does it do the company you love if you just tell them they're perfect all the time, even when mistakes are made? you just contribute to their demise. from what i've seen over the years on this forum, spyderco is a company that can take honest feedback because they listen. it's one of the reasons i like them. this knife is the perfect example of them listening to their customers. so, maybe people should stop trying to quiet the customers now.
current collection:
spyderco steels:
Scandi Grind

Post by Scandi Grind »

I don't think there is any need for anyone to defend their opinions here. Obviously ladybug93 has a concern and has voiced it, and anyone who is reading these comments can assign whatever relevance they see fit to such comments.

Maybe the look doesn't bother you, so buy the knife if you like. Maybe the look does bother you, well now you know it could be an issue. No need for it to be personal.
"A knifeless man is a lifeless man."

-- Old Norse proverb
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

It would be useful to see actual examples from those who purchased the Ayoob Sprint SpyderEdge version to see how much variation there is for the teeth at the tip.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
sal

Post by sal »

I guess we could have 2nd them all?

sal
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

VooDooChild wrote:
Fri Aug 12, 2022 7:07 pm
Lets use it first.
Ugly dogs still hunt.
Dude my pretty dog don’t hunt 🤣

… Lil sissy boy
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
Danke

Post by Danke »

Triggering intensifies.