Show your collections!

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
TwitchVee

Re: Show your collections!

Post by TwitchVee »

yeah i used a file host and everything! can't get photos to show up here!
Twitch Vee :usflag :woozy
ykspydiefan

Post by ykspydiefan »

I have a small Ulu collection. I have 2 tourist versions that are really good users, for hide scraping. I won't post pic of those as they can be found by googling Ulu.

These two are different.
IMG_20220531_200721832ulu.jpg
The top Ulu is from Ulukhaktok, the handle is MuskOx horn, and the steel is terrible. It is primarily a blubber cutter, fish cutter then a meat cutter. It is very thin.

The bottom Ulu is from Tulita, the handle is Caribou antler, and the steel is horrible. It is primarily a hide scraper with a chisel grind. The steel is thick and very durable.

I would like a super steel ulu one day. Please, Spyderco.
Spyderco: Tenacious G10, Waterway, Para 3 Spy27, Pacific Salt H1, Catcherman, In the Mule Team Stable(Z-Max, Z-Wear, S45VN, Magnacut, SRS13/SUS405, M398, Aeb-l, 15v)
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

ykspydiefan wrote:
Wed Jun 01, 2022 4:31 pm
I have a small Ulu collection. I have 2 tourist versions that are really good users, for hide scraping. I won't post pic of those as they can be found by googling Ulu.

These two are different.

IMG_20220531_200721832ulu.jpg

The top Ulu is from Ulukhaktok, the handle is MuskOx horn, and the steel is terrible. It is primarily a blubber cutter, fish cutter then a meat cutter. It is very thin.

The bottom Ulu is from Tulita, the handle is Caribou antler, and the steel is horrible. It is primarily a hide scraper with a chisel grind. The steel is thick and very durable.

My Mother gave me some tourist type Ulu knives years ago strictly for decor , since I was a knife enthusiast. I think they are an amazing tool , I saw some in a village many years ago and was fascinated by the design . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

ykspydiefan wrote:
Wed Jun 01, 2022 4:31 pm

snip/

Usaknifemaker.com has a few styles of ulu blanks in 9cr18 I was thinking about picking one up. How well do they work on smaller lean game like whitetail deer?
ykspydiefan

Post by ykspydiefan »

Hey Josh,

[/quote]

Usaknifemaker.com has a few styles of ulu blanks in 9cr18 I was thinking about picking one up. How well do they work on smaller lean game like whitetail deer?
[/quote]

If you are scraping your whitetail deers' hide to make leather, I am sure it would work fine. On the cutting board turning roasts to steaks, it would be ok, but a 10inch chef knife is better. Really, in the field any purpose built hunting knife would work better.

In my opinion, an Ulu is good for cutting blubber or scraping hide. It is great for the one blade you carry on foot your whole life and use daily to make cloths or prepare seals, and or salmon. As a knife craft challenge it might be fun to try working up a deer with an ulu. I'm usually trying to get the meat out of the bush ASAP.

Nice tip on Usaknifemaker, thanks. Too bad their Elmax Ulu blank is not ready to go.
Spyderco: Tenacious G10, Waterway, Para 3 Spy27, Pacific Salt H1, Catcherman, In the Mule Team Stable(Z-Max, Z-Wear, S45VN, Magnacut, SRS13/SUS405, M398, Aeb-l, 15v)
apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Post by apollo »

The Meat man wrote:
Sun Apr 10, 2022 5:29 pm
Here is something from my collection. I've had it for a little while but only now got around to photographing it and writing the description. At around 3,500 years old, this is my oldest artifact:

With this short description taken from the Wikipedia article on the subject:
Scarabs were popular amulets and impression seals in ancient Egypt. They survive in large numbers and, through their inscriptions and typology, they are an important source of information for archaeologists and historians of the ancient world. They also represent a significant body of ancient art.

For reasons that are not clear (although likely connected to the religious significance of the Egyptian god Khepri), amulets in the form of scarab beetles had become enormously popular in Ancient Egypt by the early Middle Kingdom (approx. 2000 BC) and remained popular for the rest of the pharaonic period and beyond. During that long period the function of scarabs repeatedly changed. Primarily amulets, they were also inscribed for use as personal or administrative seals or were incorporated into jewelry. Some scarabs were created for political or diplomatic purposes to commemorate or advertise royal achievements. By the early New Kingdom, heart scarabs had become part of the battery of amulets protecting mummies.
Articles:
https://www.britannica.com/topic/scarab
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scarab_(artifact)
That is one nice piece of History! I love ancient Egypt. All there beliefs , there gods , there building’s everything has such a strange but beautifull vibe to it i can not really explain but it triggers something when i see it. I would love to see egypt one day looking at the piramids , the royal tombs , Karnak , Abu Simbel , it will be a dream come true.
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

apollo wrote:
Fri Jun 10, 2022 11:55 pm
That is one nice piece of History! I love ancient Egypt. All there beliefs , there gods , there building’s everything has such a strange but beautifull vibe to it i can not really explain but it triggers something when i see it. I would love to see egypt one day looking at the piramids , the royal tombs , Karnak , Abu Simbel , it will be a dream come true.
That would be incredible to see the pyramids, monuments, and tombs with your own eyes!
Ancient Egypt has such an amazing history (and 3,000 years of it too!). I really enjoy the Great Courses lecture series on the History of Ancient Egypt, taught by Professor Bob Brier. Over 80 lectures, and every one is fascinating!
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Post by apollo »

That sounds amazing. A few years ago there was a traveling exhibit in my country about king TuT. Most where exquisite copy's but it was Majestic and unbelievable to see with you’re own eyes.
For the rest i need to fall back on tv documentary’s.
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Just finished putting together this little presentation of one of my coins.

- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Connor, have you by chance saw or heard of the History Channels mini series on 3 Roman Emperors? It was great imo!
Julius Caesar was the man imo!
He earned his way to power on the battle field under Senator/General Crassus (please excuse the spelling-just going from memory)then he forms the Triumvirate between himself, Crassus & Pompey Magnus
From there the show goes over his betrayal from Crassus & Pompey Magnus, the conquering of Gaul, crossing the Rubicon, Crassus meets his fate, and eventually Caesar defeating Pompey Magnus with an army a 1/3 the size of Pompeii Magnus army - which we know causes Pompey Magnus to flee to Egypt - with Caesar following & we know what happens to Pompey Magnus & Caesar hooking up with Cleopatra
It's a wonderful series
Besides Caesar, they also discuss Caligula & Commodus.
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

MacLaren wrote:
Sat Aug 06, 2022 8:22 am
Connor, have you by chance saw or heard of the History Channels mini series on 3 Roman Emperors? It was great imo!
Julius Caesar was the man imo!
He earned his way to power on the battle field under Senator/General Crassus (please excuse the spelling-just going from memory)then he forms the Triumvirate between himself, Crassus & Pompey Magnus
From there the show goes over his betrayal from Crassus & Pompey Magnus, the conquering of Gaul, crossing the Rubicon, Crassus meets his fate, and eventually Caesar defeating Pompey Magnus with an army a 1/3 the size of Pompeii Magnus army - which we know causes Pompey Magnus to flee to Egypt - with Caesar following & we know what happens to Pompey Magnus & Caesar hooking up with Cleopatra
It's a wonderful series
Besides Caesar, they also discuss Caligula & Commodus.
Haven't seen it (I don't watch TV) but it sounds interesting! That was a chaotic time, alright. Caesar may or may not have been a better general than Pompey, but there is no doubt he was a better politician. For the most part - of course his dealings with Cleopatra in Egypt were unpopular in Rome and he was not as cautious about his ambitions as he should have been (a lesson which Augustus learned and understood). Still, he was far better at marshalling supporters and at political wheeling-and-dealing than Pompey or Crassus.

Coins of Julius Caesar (especially portrait coins!) come at a very high premium - usually in the thousands of dollars (too rich for this guy!) Thankfully I was able to get this silver denarius for a very good price. This would have been struck to pay Caesar's troops, by a mobile mint travelling with the army as they crossed the Rubicon into Italy:

Incidentally, the battle of Carrhae (in which Crassus lost his life) was a staggering defeat for the Romans on a scale that makes the Teutoburg Forest look like a minor setback. Not only was Crassus killed, but seven (yes, seven! full legions were destroyed by the Parthian forces. It was a catastrophic disaster for the Roman army and it effectively put an end to Roman hopes of subjugating Parthia (Trajan came closest in the 2nd century AD, but it did not last long.)

Crassus was also called the richest man in Rome. Awhile back I did some calculations, and figured as a percentage of GDP, Crassus's wealth would be equivalent to over 4 trillion dollars today.
- Connor

TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Such a cool thing to be into Connor. It's a nice history lesson whenever you post!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Very good Connor! When they killed Crassus they poured molten liquid Gold down his throat. They did this to of course mock his greed.
As for Caeser, I'm not so sure he was a better politician than either Crassus or Magnus. I say this because Pompey Magnus claimed victory for the defeat of Spartacus- when it was actually Crassus with the help of Julius Caeser - this was how Caeser came to power. He proved himself on the battlefield. Caeser was far from a politician when he started in the Army. As a matter of fact, in his youth his family were wealthy and prestigious but, his father chose the wrong side of a a civil war and they lost everything. So after Crassus defeated Spartacus, Pompey Magnus claimed the victory, the chit bird. He did that because Spartacus body was never found. Fast forward a huge power struggle between the General Pompey Magnus and the richest person in Rome Crassus. So, Caeser then creates the Triumvirate. Part of the deal was that they elect Caesar Consul. That way, Caesar would pay Pompey Magnus Soldiers what they were owed and also pass tax legislation for Crassus. That when on for a while and the Senate finally got tired of that, so Crassus and Magnus betray Caeser and tell him that he will no longer be Consul and appoint him as Governor in some province. Caesar says the helll with this, and while talking with Brutus' mother - his longtime friend, he knows that the way to gain power/fame is thru military conquest. So, he goes out and conquers Gaul! He defeats Versonjetterex. The people love this victory but, before Caeser leaves for Rome he gets a letter from the Senate charging him with illegally raising an army. This was of course Crassus and Magnus doing. And this is when Caeser crosses the Rubicon. ( please excuse the spelling) this really worries Crassus and Magnus. Crassus decides to try his own qonquest of the east and winds up with a mouth and throat full of liquid gold for his troubles. Pompey Magnus on the other hand raises an Army 3 times the size of Caesers and Caeser hands him his arse. Pompey flees to Egypt where they are actually in the middle of a civil war. Cleopatras brother actually sits on the throne at that time - he is 14 years old and after Magnus asks for help, he has Magnus decapitated......when Caeser finally got to Egypt- he was dead after Magnus, he learns what happens to Pompey. This makes Caeser furious! See, Pompey Magnus was actually Caesers son in law! Part of the Triumvirate deal - Caeser betrothed his daughter to Magnus, which she died in child birth giving Caeser a grandson/ he also feels this was no way for man/general like Magnus to die. As for Egypt and the boy king, He holds Caeser prisoner until Caeser agrees to help him kill Cleopatra. But. She sneaks in and meets Caeser, and they got on like peas and carrots. Caeser helps her defeat the boy king. He wound up drowning in the Nile. Caeser returns home to find that Mark Antony absolutely sucks as a ruler. He quickly rights the ship however - and as to the Senate that betrayed him, Caeser says he will take no revenge. This is unheard of. But, he also makes himself Dictator and eventually Dictator in perpetuity! He has Brutus as his air and all is well until ole sugar britches Cleopatra shows up a totin Caesers baby! This absolutely rocks Rome! Can you say DYNASTY! Rome & Egypt United!
Well, this was truly the downfall for Juluis Caeser. The Senate was already not liking this Dictator forever stuff.....and what really nailed him was Brutus' mother. She pretty much tells Brutus that now that Caeser has an air of his own blood, he is no longer needed.....at least not for long. So Brutus conspires with the other Senators- see Brutus was like the perfect Roman. He had the leniage and everything and carried a lot of weight - whats interesting as well is that Brutus fought with Pompey Magnus against Caeser. But, Caeser forgave him...Not long after ,Juluis Caeser was stabbed to death many times over by Brutus and the Senate . Sorry for the misspelling gang, it's late and I rushed thru this. I may have even forgotten some things.
But, imo, Caeser was a great Ruler. He did a helluva lot for Rome.
It's just seems to me that Caeser was just dam good at everything he did.
&,I gotta say Connor, I concur with Rick. These coins and your knowledge are great history lessons!
Thank you for showing the Caeser coin, it's awesome!! To be that old and in that great of shape. It's amazing.
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Sat Aug 06, 2022 6:57 pm
Such a cool thing to be into Connor. It's a nice history lesson whenever you post!
Thanks! It's a lot of fun. ;)
- Connor

The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

MacLaren wrote:
Sat Aug 06, 2022 10:32 pm
Very good Connor! When they killed Crassus they poured molten liquid Gold down his throat. They did this to of course mock his greed.
As for Caeser, I'm not so sure he was a better politician than either Crassus or Magnus. I say this because Pompey Magnus claimed victory for the defeat of Spartacus- when it was actually Crassus with the help of Julius Caeser - this was how Caeser came to power. He proved himself on the battlefield. Caeser was far from a politician when he started in the Army. As a matter of fact, in his youth his family were wealthy and prestigious but, his father chose the wrong side of a a civil war and they lost everything. So after Crassus defeated Spartacus, Pompey Magnus claimed the victory, the chit bird. He did that because Spartacus body was never found. Fast forward a huge power struggle between the General Pompey Magnus and the richest person in Rome Crassus. So, Caeser then creates the Triumvirate. Part of the deal was that they elect Caesar Consul. That way, Caesar would pay Pompey Magnus Soldiers what they were owed and also pass tax legislation for Crassus. That when on for a while and the Senate finally got tired of that, so Crassus and Magnus betray Caeser and tell him that he will no longer be Consul and appoint him as Governor in some province. Caesar says the helll with this, and while talking with Brutus' mother - his longtime friend, he knows that the way to gain power/fame is thru military conquest. So, he goes out and conquers Gaul! He defeats Versonjetterex. The people love this victory but, before Caeser leaves for Rome he gets a letter from the Senate charging him with illegally raising an army. This was of course Crassus and Magnus doing. And this is when Caeser crosses the Rubicon. ( please excuse the spelling) this really worries Crassus and Magnus. Crassus decides to try his own qonquest of the east and winds up with a mouth and throat full of liquid gold for his troubles. Pompey Magnus on the other hand raises an Army 3 times the size of Caesers and Caeser hands him his arse. Pompey flees to Egypt where they are actually in the middle of a civil war. Cleopatras brother actually sits on the throne at that time - he is 14 years old and after Magnus asks for help, he has Magnus decapitated......when Caeser finally got to Egypt- he was dead after Magnus, he learns what happens to Pompey. This makes Caeser furious! See, Pompey Magnus was actually Caesers son in law! Part of the Triumvirate deal - Caeser betrothed his daughter to Magnus, which she died in child birth giving Caeser a grandson/ he also feels this was no way for man/general like Magnus to die. As for Egypt and the boy king, He holds Caeser prisoner until Caeser agrees to help him kill Cleopatra. But. She sneaks in and meets Caeser, and they got on like peas and carrots. Caeser helps her defeat the boy king. He wound up drowning in the Nile. Caeser returns home to find that Mark Antony absolutely sucks as a ruler. He quickly rights the ship however - and as to the Senate that betrayed him, Caeser says he will take no revenge. This is unheard of. But, he also makes himself Dictator and eventually Dictator in perpetuity! He has Brutus as his air and all is well until ole sugar britches Cleopatra shows up a totin Caesers baby! This absolutely rocks Rome! Can you say DYNASTY! Rome & Egypt United!
Well, this was truly the downfall for Juluis Caeser. The Senate was already not liking this Dictator forever stuff.....and what really nailed him was Brutus' mother. She pretty much tells Brutus that now that Caeser has an air of his own blood, he is no longer needed.....at least not for long. So Brutus conspires with the other Senators- see Brutus was like the perfect Roman. He had the leniage and everything and carried a lot of weight - whats interesting as well is that Brutus fought with Pompey Magnus against Caeser. But, Caeser forgave him...Not long after ,Juluis Caeser was stabbed to death many times over by Brutus and the Senate . Sorry for the misspelling gang, it's late and I rushed thru this. I may have even forgotten some things.
But, imo, Caeser was a great Ruler. He did a helluva lot for Rome.
It's just seems to me that Caeser was just dam good at everything he did.
&,I gotta say Connor, I concur with Rick. These coins and your knowledge are great history lessons!
Thank you for showing the Caeser coin, it's awesome!! To be that old and in that great of shape. It's amazing.
Wow, great summary MacLaren! Thanks for posting.
No doubt about it, Caesar was an incredible figure. Although, I have to say as I was reading Cassius Dio's (Roman historian who wrote in the late 100's AD) account of these events, I had a lot of admiration for Marcus Cato (the younger). He was Caesar's enemy in the Senate, a true conservative of the highest integrity, untouchable by bribes. He would not give up his principles even when it became inevitable that Caesar would triumph. He committed suicide in 46 BC, deeming it more honorable than accepting pardon from Caesar.
- Connor

MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Wow. I was not aware of Marcus Cato - either the younger or older. And, thank you, Connor.
I in no way pretend to know anymore than what I saw on the History Channel series.
I would defer to you, no doubt!
But, it's all fascinating! And, the coins you have really brings things to life.....thank you, again.
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

ImageImageThis coin has perplexed me for years , no date ? Private mint ? I’m clueless . Dan
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

ImageImageI have a few more in gun safe separate from wife’s coins I will check out later . Dan
Henry David Thoreau
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

I only have 2 Coins that I've saved over the years.
Nothing special, just to me because they were struck the year I was born. I have an Eisenhower Dollar & a JFK Half Dollar (1971)
However, I would LOVE to have anything with Teddy Roosevelt- year doesn't matter. If they ever struck anything with his image. If they haven't, then they should! Lol, I love the Rough Rider
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

MacLaren wrote:
Sun Aug 07, 2022 9:41 am
I only have 2 Coins that I've saved over the years.
Nothing special, just to me because they were struck the year I was born. I have an Eisenhower Dollar & a JFK Half Dollar (1971)
However, I would LOVE to have anything with Teddy Roosevelt- year doesn't matter. If they ever struck anything with his image. If they haven't, then they should! Lol, I love the Rough Rider
I couldn’t agree more ! Dan
Henry David Thoreau