Stretch XL discussion

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
TheGiant80

Re: Stretch XL discussion

Post by TheGiant80 »

vivi wrote:
Thu Aug 04, 2022 5:23 pm
It's an instant classic for sure, but I give the Pacific 2 an edge. When / if they make a Stretch XL Salt I'll have to reconsider.
The hollow grind of my Pac Salt 2 (serrated) inspires confidence, especially for tougher cutting jobs. "Slicey" is fine but it's a bit removed from my daily needs, so the flat grind Stretch 2 XL is a bit less appealing. Mind you, once I get it in-hand and can appreciate the aesthetics.....that might change everything.
vivi

Post by vivi »

I think you'll really enjoy the ergonomics. That's the thing I like most about the Stretch compared to the Pacific. The FFG is nice when cutting thick cardboard, but these days most things I cut tend to come down to sharpness more than geometry.
:unicorn
Humint

Post by Humint »

So I will give you my thoughts on the knife so far having owned it for a little over a month (please note I consider the Endura 4 and Spyerco Military to be in the top 5 greatest knives ever produced)...

LEADING UP TO ORDERING: My favorite lock on a pocket knife is the backlock (I wish Spyerco would take some of the classics, like a PM2, Manix 2, Military, Shaman, etc and release all in a backlock). I have had an Endura 4 for many years. It started out as a knife that I used in-between receiving and carrying the new flavor of the week (be it a new Spyderco model or a CRK). After the honeymoon wore off of new said thing (usually because it couldn't compare to the Endura) and new said thing was sold, the Endura would go back in the pocket to be used for whatever task a knife was needed. Over the past three years or so, my daily carry pocket knife saw on-the-go food cutting as its primary task. Being the father of three small children, it is incredible how much on-the-go food prep is needed. The Endura has always excelled for me in that task, while also mainting the perfect blade shape for the typical usage of a pocket knife; breaking down cardboard, opening up packages, adventures in the woods, etc. I don't baby my knives and I also half-hazardly clean them by just rinsing them in the kitchen sink with some warm water and dishsoap. I don't take particular care in just rinsing the blade and edge, rather I end up rinsing the entire knife (blade and handle) as time is usually of the essence. Recently, and due to all of food prep and the patina developing on the blade (as well as some very small light rust spots) as well as some gunky action, I decided to take the Endura apart and given it a proper cleaning. I am not adverse to taking knives apart and usually have no problem in taking down and putting back together certain models that some have struggled with (Endura, Delica, Endela). After taking down the Endura I noticed there was some rust around the pivot of the blade and the liners of the knife (no surprise due to how I clean my knives after food prep). The rust came off easily with sandpaper (I only had 200 grit available so or course it left marks on the blade and liners but like I said, I don't mind usage marks) and the washers cleaned up okay. Once I applied some nano oil to the pivot and the backlock she opens and closes like a dream. Due to my findings when I was cleaning though, I began to wonder if there was a better Spyderco backlock knife that would be better for me, a linerless and without washers backlock that scrap additional metal where metal was not needed so my half-hazard like cleaning method would be more condusive to. I thought about a Pacific, but like the less tall blade of the Endura, I also am not a fan of bright colored handles (green and yellow) and would prefer not having to rit-dye them. In my search I stubbled along the Stretch 2 XL and after confirming it was linerless and without washers, I soon placed the order.

INITIAL IMPRESSIONS: Out of the box I couldn't believe how light it felt. I was worried with the lack of liners and the longer blade that it would be blade heavy. It is not; it balances perfectly.

Unfortunately, it was one of the worst edges I have received on a Spyderco to date. I would guess near the heal of the blade the edge was 20dps and it went to 25+dps terminating near the tip. To me that is not a problem as when receiving a new knife I always use it straight out of the box (no matter the original edge) just to see how the factory edge holds and I then always reprofile.

The metal backlock stands proud of the scales both open and closed

The knife felt incredibly cheap and flimsy overall. I was surprised how cheap it felt. This is of course is due to the lack of liners and the association of a light knife being toy-like. I felt like I would snap it in half just looking at it. I seriously thought about selling it a couple hours after recieving it due to this. I thought there is no way this knife will withstand moderate pocket knife tasks.

Never the less, straight and into the pocket it went.

IMPRESSIONS AFTER A MONTH OF DAILY CARRY AND USAGE: Cheap and flimsy. How wrong I was. This knife, after a month of daily carry and usage, now feels alive and perfectly balanced and weighted. It no longer feels cheap or toy-like. Rather it feels like exactly all knives should feel; perfectly balanced and strong enough to do what a knife needs to do...cut something. In the kitchen it has surpassed the Endura in food prep. The distal taper and full flat ground blade is perfect for cutting up sandwiches, vegetables, fruits and meats. I don't worry as much with how I clean it as the longer blade (with choil) allows me to mitigate getting water on the pivot area and concentrate on cleaning the blade only. It seems to sail through carboard easier than the Endura even though it still sports the unevenly ground edge (the Endura sports a 17dps reprofile with a 20dps microbevel). I will be interested to see how it does once it is reprofiled. The blade to handle ratio on this knife is incredible for a Spyderco. Closed the Stretch 2 XL is almost the exact same lenght as the Endura 4 yet houses a longer cutting edge and a choil to boot. It has been an absolute joy carrying this knife for the past month. As of right now, in my mind, I believe this knife MAY be the greatest model Spyderco has ever produced.

MOVING FORWARD: I just received a computed generated graphic CRK Large Inkosi yesterday in the mail. I am very familiar with the Large Inkosi as I have owned them in the past and I consider it in the top 5 knives ever produced. I have been carrying the Inkosi all day yesterday and today. The model is a familiar friend. It is even sitting on the desk in front of me as I am typing this. While my brain is telling me that the Large Inkosi has to be a better knife because it costs $550 compared to the $112.35 Stretch 2 XL. I can't help but think about the Stetch 2 XL, its innovations and its capabilities.

More to come.
James Y

Post by James Y »

Humint wrote:
Fri Aug 05, 2022 2:29 pm
So I will give you my thoughts on the knife so far having owned it for a little over a month (please note I consider the Endura 4 and Spyerco Military to be in the top 5 greatest knives ever produced)...

LEADING UP TO ORDERING: My favorite lock on a pocket knife is the backlock (I wish Spyerco would take some of the classics, like a PM2, Manix 2, Military, Shaman, etc and release all in a backlock). I have had an Endura 4 for many years. It started out as a knife that I used in-between receiving and carrying the new flavor of the week (be it a new Spyderco model or a CRK). After the honeymoon wore off of new said thing (usually because it couldn't compare to the Endura) and new said thing was sold, the Endura would go back in the pocket to be used for whatever task a knife was needed. Over the past three years or so, my daily carry pocket knife saw on-the-go food cutting as its primary task. Being the father of three small children, it is incredible how much on-the-go food prep is needed. The Endura has always excelled for me in that task, while also mainting the perfect blade shape for the typical usage of a pocket knife; breaking down cardboard, opening up packages, adventures in the woods, etc. I don't baby my knives and I also half-hazardly clean them by just rinsing them in the kitchen sink with some warm water and dishsoap. I don't take particular care in just rinsing the blade and edge, rather I end up rinsing the entire knife (blade and handle) as time is usually of the essence. Recently, and due to all of food prep and the patina developing on the blade (as well as some very small light rust spots) as well as some gunky action, I decided to take the Endura apart and given it a proper cleaning. I am not adverse to taking knives apart and usually have no problem in taking down and putting back together certain models that some have struggled with (Endura, Delica, Endela). After taking down the Endura I noticed there was some rust around the pivot of the blade and the liners of the knife (no surprise due to how I clean my knives after food prep). The rust came off easily with sandpaper (I only had 200 grit available so or course it left marks on the blade and liners but like I said, I don't mind usage marks) and the washers cleaned up okay. Once I applied some nano oil to the pivot and the backlock she opens and closes like a dream. Due to my findings when I was cleaning though, I began to wonder if there was a better Spyderco backlock knife that would be better for me, a linerless and without washers backlock that scrap additional metal where metal was not needed so my half-hazard like cleaning method would be more condusive to. I thought about a Pacific, but like the less tall blade of the Endura, I also am not a fan of bright colored handles (green and yellow) and would prefer not having to rit-dye them. In my search I stubbled along the Stretch 2 XL and after confirming it was linerless and without washers, I soon placed the order.

INITIAL IMPRESSIONS: Out of the box I couldn't believe how light it felt. I was worried with the lack of liners and the longer blade that it would be blade heavy. It is not; it balances perfectly.

Unfortunately, it was one of the worst edges I have received on a Spyderco to date. I would guess near the heal of the blade the edge was 20dps and it went to 25+dps terminating near the tip. To me that is not a problem as when receiving a new knife I always use it straight out of the box (no matter the original edge) just to see how the factory edge holds and I then always reprofile.

The metal backlock stands proud of the scales both open and closed

The knife felt incredibly cheap and flimsy overall. I was surprised how cheap it felt. This is of course is due to the lack of liners and the association of a light knife being toy-like. I felt like I would snap it in half just looking at it. I seriously thought about selling it a couple hours after recieving it due to this. I thought there is no way this knife will withstand moderate pocket knife tasks.

Never the less, straight and into the pocket it went.

IMPRESSIONS AFTER A MONTH OF DAILY CARRY AND USAGE: Cheap and flimsy. How wrong I was. This knife, after a month of daily carry and usage, now feels alive and perfectly balanced and weighted. It no longer feels cheap or toy-like. Rather it feels like exactly all knives should feel; perfectly balanced and strong enough to do what a knife needs to do...cut something. In the kitchen it has surpassed the Endura in food prep. The distal taper and full flat ground blade is perfect for cutting up sandwiches, vegetables, fruits and meats. I don't worry as much with how I clean it as the longer blade (with choil) allows me to mitigate getting water on the pivot area and concentrate on cleaning the blade only. It seems to sail through carboard easier than the Endura even though it still sports the unevenly ground edge (the Endura sports a 17dps reprofile with a 20dps microbevel). I will be interested to see how it does once it is reprofiled. The blade to handle ratio on this knife is incredible for a Spyderco. Closed the Stretch 2 XL is almost the exact same lenght as the Endura 4 yet houses a longer cutting edge and a choil to boot. It has been an absolute joy carrying this knife for the past month. As of right now, in my mind, I believe this knife MAY be the greatest model Spyderco has ever produced.

MOVING FORWARD: I just received a computed generated graphic CRK Large Inkosi yesterday in the mail. I am very familiar with the Large Inkosi as I have owned them in the past and I consider it in the top 5 knives ever produced. I have been carrying the Inkosi all day yesterday and today. The model is a familiar friend. It is even sitting on the desk in front of me as I am typing this. While my brain is telling me that the Large Inkosi has to be a better knife because it costs $550 compared to the $112.35 Stretch 2 XL. I can't help but think about the Stetch 2 XL, its innovations and its capabilities.

More to come.

Wow! Nice initial review! Looking forward to more as your use progresses.

Jim
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Humint wrote:
So I will give you my thoughts on the knife so far having owned it for a little over a month ....
Thanks for that detailled impressions, a good read! :smlling-eyes

- I have the SE and its edge is perfect, but it is a bit sad that several members here already have received their PE Stretch XL with a less than ideal edge.

- For me the Endura 4 is in the top 5 folders ever made (or rather top 3), but I have a feeling the XL could "beat" it.

- Concerning (NOT) "cheap and flimsy":
For me the XL felt right from the beginning like it feels to you now: Very light, but strong and perfectly balanced. I tbink it can take a lot, just the tip is very fine and has to be used with a bit of care I think (but works amazingly then).
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
z1r

Post by z1r »

FWIW, my XL PE came with an amazing edge, just like the rest of the knife. Just handled another at the SFO today, nothing wrong with its edge either.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

z1r wrote:
Fri Aug 05, 2022 3:01 pm
FWIW, my XL PE came with an amazing edge, just like the rest of the knife. Just handled another at the SFO today, nothing wrong with its edge either.

Good to "hear"!
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
vivi

Post by vivi »

Mine was sharp and could cut ok, but the edge angles were the most uneven I've seen from Spyderco. If you look at the photos of mine the bevel on one side is nearly twice the size of the other.

Here's how mine looked after marking the edge bevel with sharpie then using the sharpmaker at 15 degrees per side.

Quite a difference. Show side it hit the shoulder of the bevel, back side it created a microbevel.
z1r

Post by z1r »

vivi wrote:
Fri Aug 05, 2022 3:14 pm
Mine was sharp and could cut ok, but the edge angles were the most uneven I've seen from Spyderco. If you look at the photos of mine the bevel on one side is nearly twice the size of the other.

Here's how mine looked after marking the edge bevel with sharpie then using the sharpmaker at 15 degrees per side.

Quite a difference. Show side it hit the shoulder of the bevel, back side it created a microbevel.
I had that experience with my ZDP stretch 2. Took it to a 15 DPS edge and one side still looks like the bevel is twice as long as the other. Cuts great though. Not to discount your concerns at all, not my intent, but for me, since VG10 is easy enough to sharpen and the knife is $100ish, even if I did get an uneven edge, I would not be concerned. But I understand the expectation that it should come with a more even edge.
vivi

Post by vivi »

I'm on the same page as you. It's a half hour fix at most and not a big deal compared to other issues that can pop up in a folding knife. But it stood out to me when I unboxed my knife.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Looking for a report from someone who has used the S-XL as their primary backpacking knife?
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Bolster wrote:
Fri Aug 05, 2022 3:57 pm
Looking for a report from someone who has used the S-XL as their primary backpacking knife?
I went backpacking with my Stretch 2 in ZDP-189 quite a bit, and it was a fantastic companion. I can only imagine the new Stretch 2XL would feel the same - especially when DLT gets an OD Green + Cruwear exclusive. :smiling-heart-eyes
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

I hope it sells well enough that we see more versions.
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

kennethsime wrote:
Sat Aug 06, 2022 12:38 am
Bolster wrote:
Fri Aug 05, 2022 3:57 pm
I went backpacking with my Stretch 2 in ZDP-189 quite a bit, and it was a fantastic companion. I can only imagine the new Stretch 2XL would feel the same - especially when DLT gets an OD Green + Cruwear exclusive. :smiling-heart-eyes
WHAT ? Where did I miss this info ? Sounds great . Dan
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Capt'n Boatsalot

Post by Capt'n Boatsalot »

Humint wrote:
So I will give you my thoughts on the knife
Humint, great review and commentary on your use! Thanks so much for writing it up!
Not too much to add that you haven't already added. I very much enjoy my S2XL PE, and went through a similar "this is too light to be strong enough" phase, but also realized that it is very much an optimized design, and an exceptional cutting tool. My edge was pretty good, but not the best ever from a Seki Spyderco. Love mine!
Last edited by Capt'n Boatsalot on Sat Aug 06, 2022 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
MNOSD member 0030
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

ImageYMMV , MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Humint,

Very impressive and detailed review. Appreciate. As the designer of the Endura's, Military and S2XL, I appreciate your kind comments on the designs. While I recognize that "knife design" is just a microcosm of a very large world of designs, I take my designing very seriously. It brings a warm glow when a knowledgeable user 'hears my message".

I have been designing Spyderco knives for 42 years. I find as I age, my designs also "mature" in refinement. The "Stretch 2 XL" has been ongoing for 38 years. (Hunter, etc.) Other examples are the: Police 4, Swick and Li' Temperance, while all different, have gray hair in their "spirit". I look forward to hearing more of your shared thought.

sal
Michal O

Post by Michal O »

I would like to see Stretch family with CL. That could be great looking alternative for PM2/Military. I like shape of handle and that cutting edge isn't much higher than ricasso, like in PM2.
Current collection: Lil Temperance G10, Shaman, Lil Native, Massad Ayoob cruwear, Smock, Street Beat, Street Bowie, Para 3, PM2 purple G10 cruwear, Canis, Rhino, Endura 4 K390, Watu, Kapara, Amalgam, Sliverax, Police 4 se K390, Police 4 pe K390, Khukuri, Barong, Ulize.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Michal O wrote:
Sat Aug 06, 2022 11:10 am
I would like to see Stretch family with CL. That could be great looking alternative for PM2/Military.
Why isn't it a "great looking alternative " with a backlock? (Honest question, no offense)
Michal O

Post by Michal O »

I don't like blade play, also CL is stronger lock.
Current collection: Lil Temperance G10, Shaman, Lil Native, Massad Ayoob cruwear, Smock, Street Beat, Street Bowie, Para 3, PM2 purple G10 cruwear, Canis, Rhino, Endura 4 K390, Watu, Kapara, Amalgam, Sliverax, Police 4 se K390, Police 4 pe K390, Khukuri, Barong, Ulize.