C-60 Ayoob Campaign: No I Won't Shut Up

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
RamZar

Re: C-60 Ayoob Campaign: No I Won't Shut Up

Post by RamZar »

The last two serration loops look almost half-finished but seems the same in all the various samples. Other Spyderco SpyderEdge blades like the Caribbean look much cleaner and uniform.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

I bet all the serrated ones will have that messed up area near the tip.

Spyderco grinds serrations on a wheel right?
The Ayoob has a massively upswept blade and no belly at the back, so if the serrations near the back are level then the steep upsweep is going to throw them off at the tip.

At least this will happen if you are grinding them all at once instead of resetting the knife angle and grinding the back half and then front half or something. And Im sure that would present its own problems as well.
Last edited by VooDooChild on Thu Aug 04, 2022 8:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
James Y

Post by James Y »

Maybe there was a defect in the serration grinder for this model?

I'm looking forward to hearing the reviews of everyone who gets one. It is definitely a unique and highly useful-looking design. And I admire how JD Spydo/Joe got this whole thing rolling.

I am not getting one. For one thing, I have no interest in tool steel folders. Just not my thing. That, and current financial reasons.

But I still wanna read those reviews!

Jim
Skar

Post by Skar »

I was really wanting the se.. until now..
I do want to find out if that edge is how they all are coming in?
benben

Post by benben »

Skar wrote:
Thu Aug 04, 2022 9:31 pm
Yeah those serrations towards the tip definitely doesn’t look like David’s serrations on page 67!
vivi

Post by vivi »

Skar wrote:
Same plan here. Was excited when I saw the serrations were shallow instead of spikey. But I wouldn't be happy if mine looked the way some of the ones in this thread do.
:unicorn
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

VooDooChild wrote:
Thu Aug 04, 2022 8:38 pm
I bet all the serrated ones will have that messed up area near the tip.

Well the promo pics that all the dealers are using aren't like that, I'm sure some just use the same stock photo but at least a couple have their own real world pics. I'm sure they're hand picking the ones that aren't screwy looking but at least some of them (hopefully most) should look normal. I just hope they're ground closer to 15 degrees and not 20.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

vivi wrote:
Thu Aug 04, 2022 10:00 pm
Skar wrote:
Same plan here. Was excited when I saw the serrations were shallow instead of spikey. But I wouldn't be happy if mine looked the way some of the ones in this thread do.
Don't let that discourage you about that type of serration pattern. I've got similar shallow type serrations on my older AUS-8 series Catcherman model in full SE. They cut better than you can imagine.

That blows me away that SFO already sold these out at full flaming retail. But I guess when you consider how long we all have been waiting.
vivi

Post by vivi »

I like the shallow serrations, I'm just not wild about how those last few serrations are looking towards the tip on some of them.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

vivi wrote:
Fri Aug 05, 2022 3:35 am
I like the shallow serrations, I'm just not wild about how those last few serrations are looking towards the tip on some of them.
Yeah I just took a look at what you are talking about. I'm sort of surprised that got past Spyderco's stringent Quality Control. However maybe it looks worse than what it really is. Or maybe it will still perform all right. OR it could be just that one unit that got past the QC inspectors. That is kind of baffling though.

I was so busy yesterday that I didn't have any time to check things out. Darn that will just suck if all these C-60 Sprint Run sell out so fast that I won't be able to get one or two myself. But there's always the after-market down the road if it turns out that way.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

JD Spydo wrote:
Fri Aug 05, 2022 3:15 am
vivi wrote:
Thu Aug 04, 2022 10:00 pm
Skar wrote:
Don't let that discourage you about that type of serration pattern. I've got similar shallow type serrations on my older AUS-8 series Catcherman model in full SE. They cut better than you can imagine.

That blows me away that SFO already sold these out at full flaming retail. But I guess when you consider how long we all have been waiting.
Most are sold at the OPfocus discount to qualified buyers.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
DLTJordan

Post by DLTJordan »

This knife is exciting but will have a fairly limited audience due to the price, backlock, unusual design, and not being one of the mainline models, so as long as you keep your eye out you shouldn't miss out on the chance to get one. We have not received any to this point yet, so likely none of the other dealers of size have either.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Hey thanks for the update and reminding me of those other options. I sure hope that Spyderco didn't make that entire run with that apparent flaw on the serrated version>> or what appears to be a flaw anyway ( I hope that's not actually the case).

I hope people will discover how great of a "user blade" it is and how practical the overall design is. It's not just a self defense blade only.
vivi

Post by vivi »

JD Spydo wrote:
Fri Aug 05, 2022 4:34 am
vivi wrote:
Fri Aug 05, 2022 3:35 am
Yeah I just took a look at what you are talking about. I'm sort of surprised that got past Spyderco's stringent Quality Control. However maybe it looks worse than what it really is. Or maybe it will still perform all right. OR it could be just that one unit that got past the QC inspectors. That is kind of baffling though.

I was so busy yesterday that I didn't have any time to check things out. Darn that will just suck if all these C-60 Sprint Run sell out so fast that I won't be able to get one or two myself. But there's always the after-market down the road if it turns out that way.
JD, I would sooner sell you one of the ones I buy than see you go without. I think I speak for most folks here when I say that. You played a crucial role in this project, and I don't think anyone would have a chance to get a cruwear ayoob without your input.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Pretty sure this would not have happened without JD.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

Last edited by Buddafucco on Fri Aug 05, 2022 3:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
•• Beau
tactikool

Post by tactikool »

Thanks for the heads up. Plain Edge en route. 1 left….. Edit: they gone.
Mark1

Post by Mark1 »

Thank you Buddafucco. Just purchased a plain edge and spyderedge from KnifeJoy.
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

Buddafucco wrote:
Fri Aug 05, 2022 3:42 pm
KnifeJoy
PlainEdge... https://www.knifejoy.com/products/copy- ... 2-82-satin
SpyderEdge... https://www.knifejoy.com/products/copy- ... 3-69-satin

Edit: Gone for now
Just got cart-sniped on the SE.. they're gone.

As always, I appreciate your efforts Beau! I'll be on the lookout for the next opportunity!
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

JRinFL wrote:
Fri Aug 05, 2022 10:51 am
Pretty sure this would not have happened without JD.
I thank all you guys for the kind words. But this has been a true team effort from day #1 with so many of us involved. I've got to give all you guys a "high five" as well for all the great help that you all have contributed.

Also I think it goes without saying that there are dozens of Spyderco fans that wanted this Sprint Run just as much or even more than I did at the time. I also believe that this is one older past model that might just be completely revived. Because once a few folks find out just how ergonomic and versatile the C-60 is I don't think one Sprint Run is going to satisfy. I do think we'll see more runs of the C-60 in the near future.