Caly Jr FRN, Excellent Knife

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Bolster

Caly Jr FRN, Excellent Knife

Post by Bolster »

Call me regressive if you will, but I’m carrying a long discontinued knife more and more, the Caly Jr in clad ZDP-189. After hundreds of pocket hours I increasingly appreciate it. Let me count the ways:

- The “golden mean” blade size of 3” which is neither small nor large;
- Leaf shape, relatively straight along the edge, so has many of a wharnie’s advantages, but with acute tip;
- Wonderfully light at 1.9 oz;
- Trim, efficient handle with excellent fish-scale texturing to the FRN handle, which I’m not sure has ever been improved upon;
- Super hard ZDP-189 sandwiched inside tough, stain-resistant 420J2 (which does scratch but oh well);
…and on mine…
- Jimping under the thumb. Unfortunately, I also modded mine with a glow-dot in the lanyard hole, which didn’t turn out so well, the epoxy yellowed. I should drill it out. I'll try to get a decent photo tomorrow.

I stole this image from the internet and no, I don’t own the grey-handled SuperBlue. At the time it was available, I did not yet know how much I loved this design. I know some of you guys have all the Caly Jr. variants, and I would like to see them, so post up!
Attachments
IMG_9364.jpg
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
ChrisinHove

Re: Caly Jr FRN, Excellent Knife

Post by ChrisinHove »

I keep wondering whether to pick up the SB variant. I do love the Caly 3, 3.5 and UKPK ….
SpyderCuse

Post by SpyderCuse »

I have the SB variant and I think it's my favorite Spyderco. I agree with everything you said. People are always saying there needs to be a bigger Dragonfly, but I believe the Caly Jr. is it.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

SpyderCuse wrote:
Wed Aug 03, 2022 8:19 am
I have the SB variant and I think it's my favorite Spyderco. I agree with everything you said. People are always saying there needs to be a bigger Dragonfly, but I believe the Caly Jr. is it.
I agree, it really is the perfect answer to a larger Dragonfly. It just doesn’t require Spyderco to spend years and thousands of dollars developing a new model! It’s a win win for customers and Spyderco.

I have one of the Superblue sprints but I don’t carry it much these days. Definitely a nice little knife though.
-Nick :bug-red
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Love my CF , have it in pocket today . Dan
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
dsvirsky

Post by dsvirsky »

I have both the burgundy ZDP-189 and black VG-10 versions and agree it's one of Spyderco's best designs.
Wandering_About

Post by Wandering_About »

The Caly Jr is an interesting knife for sure. I've had a laminated ZDP one for a long time, 10 years at least. I keep it as a collection piece these days and haven't carried it for years. It has all kinds of blade play and the fit and finish is okay but not up to more current standards. Also not a huge fan of the tip down only pocket clip, although it carries fine since it is small and light. Personally I feel that the UKPK, while non locking, is a much improved successor to the Caly Jr.
Because desolate places allow us to breathe. And most people don't even know they're out of breath.

MNOSD member #0035
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

I have to agree, it is an excellent knife. I only have the one light grey one, the one without Super Blue.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Tristan_david2001

Post by Tristan_david2001 »

I’ve never handled a caly jr, but I too think it’s a wonderful edc design, my preferred version would have to be the zdp 180 with the burgundy colored frn, with the nice premium looking gold Spydie logo on the blade. While it’s a wicked nice knife I would say the Caly 3 is a far superior model though imo, primarily for the difference in choil shape, and g10 on steel liners giving it a more substantial feel. The Caly jr is old school, the 3 is a further refined successor to me.
:bug-red-white
bleasure

Post by bleasure »

logged in to ask whether the DF is in the lineage of the Caly, ala Para 3 to Military, because it's so similar to the Caly Jr. Then saw everyone's comments, so whether it is or not, clearly I'm not alone in seeing it. Caly Sr doesn't resemble it so much and I've never been drawn to its lines, but wow the Jr is nice. And that fish scale FRN is easily the best pattern of them all.
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

It sounds and looks great, but is it tip down only?
SpyderCuse

Post by SpyderCuse »

cabfrank wrote:
Wed Aug 03, 2022 2:04 pm
It sounds and looks great, but is it tip down only?
Yes, though I stopped noticing or caring about it after a decent amount of carry time.
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

It definitely shows how times have changed, same with the Military.
Tristan_david2001

bleasure wrote:
Wed Aug 03, 2022 1:52 pm
logged in to ask whether the DF is in the lineage of the Caly, ala Para 3 to Military, because it's so similar to the Caly Jr. Then saw everyone's comments, so whether it is or not, clearly I'm not alone in seeing it. Caly Sr doesn't resemble it so much and I've never been drawn to its lines, but wow the Jr is nice. And that fish scale FRN is easily the best pattern of them all.
I think the kopa gets overlooked as possibly being in the lineage of the calypso family. To me it’s features overall are more like the calys than the dragonfly’s are.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Tristan_david2001 wrote:
Wed Aug 03, 2022 1:33 pm
While it’s a wicked nice knife I would say the Caly 3 is a far superior model though imo, primarily for the difference in choil shape, and g10 on steel liners giving it a more substantial feel. The Caly jr is old school, the 3 is a further refined successor to me.

Yes, interesting analysis and I'd have to agree, much as I love the Caly Jr, ergonomics have marched forward since it was made. The finger choil is smooth and shallow, and the thumb ramp is also smooth. The blade shape is just flat-out fantastic regardless.

I wanted jimping to the extent that I added my own, and it's a major improvement for me, but am not of a skill level to put the jimping in the curve of the finger choil or the curve of the thumb ramp. I'm sure it's doable for a more experienced tinkerer.
Attachments
Caly Jr Jimped.JPG
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
z1r

Post by z1r »

Coincidentally, someone has a Caly jr in SB available locally. A little pricey for me but tempting.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:
Wed Aug 03, 2022 4:40 pm

Ah! Excellent, R.S., that's what I longed to see. A most excellent collection of which I am truly envious. Which gets the most pocket time for you? The one that ignites my fires the most is the ZDP burgundy. Magnifique!
bleasure

Post by bleasure »

Tristan_david2001 wrote:
Wed Aug 03, 2022 3:52 pm
I think the kopa gets overlooked as possibly being in the lineage of the calypso family. To me it’s features overall are more like the calys than the dragonfly’s are.
I have to agree with you, definitely the same DNA as the caly 3. On the other hand, I think the Jr. resembles the Dragonfly more than any other I'm aware of. For some reason I really want to know what the Dragonfly's design relatives are

I'm surprised to read that the Jr. is seen/experienced as outdated. Without having held either, for whatever reason the caly 3 design is unappealing to me where the Jr's the opposite. if ppl think an update is worthwhile, I'd love to see one that keeps the same basic shape of the Jr. And the fish scales!
Tristan_david2001

Bolster wrote:
Wed Aug 03, 2022 4:16 pm
Tristan_david2001 wrote:
Wed Aug 03, 2022 1:33 pm
While it’s a wicked nice knife I would say the Caly 3 is a far superior model though imo, primarily for the difference in choil shape, and g10 on steel liners giving it a more substantial feel. The Caly jr is old school, the 3 is a further refined successor to me.

Yes, interesting analysis and I'd have to agree, much as I love the Caly Jr, ergonomics have marched forward since it was made. The finger choil is smooth and shallow, and the thumb ramp is also smooth. The blade shape is just flat-out fantastic regardless.

I wanted jimping to the extent that I added my own, and it's a major improvement for me, but am not of a skill level to put the jimping in the curve of the finger choil or the curve of the thumb ramp. I'm sure it's doable for a more experienced tinkerer.
Very impressive jimping mod there! That looks really natural on the knife and I imagine added extra functionality to the grip. And I absolutely agree with you, the Caly jr has a fantastic blade shape and blade geometry to excel at slicing, and also as you said sorta pushing a wharnie style with its subtle belly.