Noooo! Stripped threads replacing clip on my new sprint run Shaman.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Cryptohominid

Noooo! Stripped threads replacing clip on my new sprint run Shaman.

Post by Cryptohominid »

What a bummer. I was so excited to put my MXG deep carry clip on my new green micarta M4 Shaman…

First screw went in fine, but the second just won’t tighten. I assume I’ve stripped the threads, I tried two different screws. Is it possible I stripped the threads removing the screw in the first place? It looks like the screw holes go into the liner (at least without taking it apart). Would a slightly longer screw save me, and if so, does spyderco have them? Or are the threads just in the micarta?

I searched and found a few other threads, but nothing with a resolution that seemed to apply. I suppose I could go back to the old clip and get by on two screws, but I vastly prefer deep carry and the spoon clips have never sat right in my hand. I’ve put MXG clips on ever other spyderco I own and never had a problem, and I can’t figure how I would have over torqued it, screws just seem to spin in that hole—although this one was definitely holding when I removed it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, this is by far the most expensive spyderco I’ve ever bought and it would truly suck to have messed something up before I even had a chance to carry it…
cjk

Re: Noooo! Stripped threads replacing clip on my new sprint run Shaman.

Post by cjk »

Go back to the old clip and see if all three screws work. This tells you if you stripped a screw or not. Alternatively, you can remove the clip entirely and test each screw in each hole as needed.

MXG clips are made from thicker material than the Spyderco clips. Lynch clips are about the same thickness as Spyderco clips. The original screws can be perfect for the original and too short for the MXG.

MXG clips typically come with extra T6 button head 2-56 screws which are a bit longer. Use those screws instead.
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

👆 exactly what CJK said. That is my experience too. I believe all my MXG clips have come with screws for that exact reason. Usually you can see the difference side-by-side. Lynch I don't remember getting screws, but never had a problem with them fitting with factory screws.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Cryptohominid

Post by Cryptohominid »

Thanks for reminding me of the extra screws, I just went with the old one’s because they’re black. But that’s an easier fix than a stripped screw for sure. I’ll report back…
Cryptohominid

Post by Cryptohominid »

Thanks a ton, y’all. That fixed it. Can’t believe I didn’t think of it, but I’ve had close to a dozen MXG replacement clips and even on spyderco knives I’ve always just been able to put the stock ones back in. First shaman tho, except one I bought as a gift for a friend. The all black and green beauty looks a bit odd with those two shiny silver screws, but I’ll fix that one way or another.

Cheers, much appreciated!
Fly Fishing Rick

Post by Fly Fishing Rick »

Glad you got it figured out! I always kinda cringe just a little when I tighten those tiny stainless screws lol. I think it would be really awesome if Spyderco included recommended torque values for their hardware in those little info booklets that come with every knife someday.
Last edited by Fly Fishing Rick on Mon Aug 01, 2022 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Jimmy
cjk

Post by cjk »

Cryptohominid wrote:
Mon Aug 01, 2022 7:55 pm
Thanks a ton, y’all. That fixed it. Can’t believe I didn’t think of it, but I’ve had close to a dozen MXG replacement clips and even on spyderco knives I’ve always just been able to put the stock ones back in. First shaman tho, except one I bought as a gift for a friend. The all black and green beauty looks a bit odd with those two shiny silver screws, but I’ll fix that one way or another.

Cheers, much appreciated!
No problem. Glad it worked out!
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

JSumm wrote:
Mon Aug 01, 2022 7:32 pm
👆 exactly what CJK said. That is my experience too. I believe all my MXG clips have come with screws for that exact reason. Usually you can see the difference side-by-side. Lynch I don't remember getting screws, but never had a problem with them fitting with factory screws.
Hi buddy , all my Lynch clips have come with extra screws . ;) Dan
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
harpo1

Post by harpo1 »

Use a black sharpie and color the screws until you can find some replacements.
--Pete
Cryptohominid

Post by Cryptohominid »

:exploding-head Apropos of nothing, I just realized that I can front flip this thing. Mind blown.
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Mon Aug 01, 2022 8:31 pm
JSumm wrote:
Oh dang. That is weird then. The last one I got for the Polestar did not. Now I wonder if my others did. It has been awhile since I got those. I do know like CJK said, if you put the Lynch & MXG side by side, you can see a thickness difference. I recall Spyderco screws being a little short for some in the past for the MXG.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

JSumm wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 2:02 am
Manixguy@1994 wrote:
JSumm wrote:
Oh dang. That is weird then. The last one I got for the Polestar did not. Now I wonder if my others did. It has been awhile since I got those. I do know like CJK said, if you put the Lynch & MXG side by side, you can see a thickness difference. I recall Spyderco screws being a little short for some in the past for the MXG.
I will dig out my Lynch box of extras . I believe they either come in a ziplock or white envelope. Factory screws for Endura and Pacific are different lengths because of liners holes in clips are a little diameter size off also .
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
cjk

Post by cjk »

JSumm wrote:
Manixguy@1994 wrote:
JSumm wrote:

Being quite the nerd, I measured all three. The Spyderco hourglass clip and Lynch are about 1mm thick. The MXGs are about 1.3mm thick.
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

JSumm wrote:
Manixguy@1994 wrote:
JSumm wrote:
Imagecomes with driver too . Hope this helps
Henry David Thoreau
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 5:57 am
JSumm wrote:
Manixguy@1994 wrote:
JSumm wrote:
Imagecomes with driver too . Hope this helps
Wow! And a keychain! My last order just had the clip and a nice personalized note.
- Jeff
MNOSD Member #0005
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Casey likes me ! Ha !
Henry David Thoreau
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

You know what, I was curious so I just checked his website. The standard Spyderco clip mentions it comes with wrench and screws. The one I just recently purchased for the Polestar (Tenacious Clip on the site) does not mention screws or wrench in the description like the Standard Clip does.

Well, definitely need new screws for MXG clips. Depending on the model the extra thickness sometimes proves troublesome with the factory Spyderco screws.
- Jeff
MNOSD Member #0005
cjk

Post by cjk »

I'm curious what kind of screws (thread sizes) LynchNW sends out or if he sends out different ones for Spydercos for different countries.
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

cjk wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 6:37 am
I'm curious what kind of screws (thread sizes) LynchNW sends out or if he sends out different ones for Spydercos for different countries.
I would reach out to Casey on their site for the correct answer . MG2
Henry David Thoreau
cjk

Post by cjk »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 6:39 am
cjk wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 6:37 am
I would reach out to Casey on their site for the correct answer . MG2
lol. I actually DID do this AND got my question answered (Friday) but I didn't read the email until today. They just send out 2-56 which do seem to fit the Japanese stuff as well. 2-56 and M2.3 x 0.4 must be "similar enough" to work.

Christian